PDA

View Full Version : rear fascia and tail lights

mgmsleeper
02-07-2009, 03:37 PM
im trying to get rid of the reflector on my 99. so do the MM or CVS rear fascia and tail lights bolt directly to the MGM?

:help: ...thanks

justbob
02-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Should fit no problem. If i was you i'd get the parts of a cvpi in the junkyard and night shade the tail lights.

Problem solved and solved cheap.

RUSTY
02-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Just paint over it

mgmsleeper
02-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Should fit no problem. If i was you i'd get the parts of a cvpi in the junkyard and night shade the tail lights.

Problem solved and solved cheap.

sounds good to me. thanks.

sanco
02-08-2009, 12:44 PM
noooooooo you cant just swap the rear from a MGM to a CV rear. you will have fitment issues i think the bumper needs to be replaces as well

you can get the same result just by painting it

Serge
02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
CV facia to MGM is ok but you will have a gap in the bumper cover.

MGM facia to CV is not ok because bumper covers are different.

mgmsleeper
02-09-2009, 10:19 AM
...ok sounds like i'll be painting.

so do i jus typical sand, prime and spray?

sanco
02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
you could or you can use niteshades on the tails, this way you can keep the reflectiveneseseses of the rear fascia and it will alow you to controll how dark you want to shade the back. or if you want to completelly make it black than yea, sand, primer, paint, clear, wetsand and you will be golden!!!

mgmsleeper
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM
you could or you can use niteshades on the tails, this way you can keep the reflectiveneseseses of the rear fascia and it will alow you to controll how dark you want to shade the back. or if you want to completelly make it black than yea, sand, primer, paint, clear, wetsand and you will be golden!!!

out working on the car i seen an idea to do with the fascia, i might try it out. but please fill me in on these nightshades if u would.

hot-rauder
02-09-2009, 05:37 PM
out working on the car i seen an idea to do with the fascia, i might try it out. but please fill me in on these nightshades if u would.

Its pretty much clearcoat with a little black in it... you can tint the tailights a little or a lot depending on how many coats you want, but unlike paint, it is transparent when light is behind it..... Black tailights light up red.

mgmsleeper
02-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Its pretty much clearcoat with a little black in it... you can tint the tailights a little or a lot depending on how many coats you want, but unlike paint, it is transparent when light is behind it..... Black tailights light up red.

thanks. will look into it

hot-rauder
02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
thanks. will look into it

If you want it to look like a MM, paint it. If you want it to look like a tinted tailight panel, niteshade it.

BTW for Niteshade to look actually black, you must clear coat it. Otherwise its an off green color.

justbob
02-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Sorry to steer you wrong, i allways thought the rears were interchangable.

mgmsleeper
02-09-2009, 07:57 PM
If you want it to look like a MM, paint it. If you want it to look like a tinted tailight panel, niteshade it.

BTW for Niteshade to look actually black, you must clear coat it. Otherwise its an off green color.

not trying to clone the MM, jus was trying to get rid of some of the reflector. im still thinking on what to do. i appreciate the info tho

mgmsleeper
02-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Sorry to steer you wrong, i allways thought the rears were interchangable.

its cool :beer:

larryo340
02-10-2009, 08:01 PM
not trying to clone the MM, jus was trying to get rid of some of the reflector. im still thinking on what to do. i appreciate the info tho

Replace it with a '06 and newer MGM rear panel:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/larryo340/Grand%20Marquis/rearnoplate2.jpg

n00bkiller944
02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
^^^I really the the back end of your MGM, especially the spoiler! :2thumbs:

mgmsleeper
02-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Replace it with a '06 and newer MGM rear panel:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/larryo340/Grand%20Marquis/rearnoplate2.jpg

i like that. would it bolt directly unlike the others?

larryo340
02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
^^^I really the the back end of your MGM, especially the spoiler! :2thumbs:

Thank you very much kind sir :beer:

i like that. would it bolt directly unlike the others?

It bolted on as easily as the original '98 panel came off. All the mounts are exactly the same. It might look funny with the '98 tail lights since the chrome strip does not extend into the lights like the '02-. That's why I replaced the lights with '03+, which is also a bolt on. You just have to modify the rear lamp harness from a 4 bulb to a 2 bulb (easy).

The only down side is if you keep the original '98 trunk lock cylinder you won't be able to use the key as the new panel doen't have the indent around the keyhole allowing to key to fit, the new panel is flat. I didn't care so I kept the old lock. I don't remember ever using a key to open the trunk, you have the remote, door switch, and keyless pad to open it with.

mgmsleeper
02-12-2009, 06:46 PM

It bolted on as easily as the original '98 panel came off. All the mounts are exactly the same. It might look funny with the '98 tail lights since the chrome strip does not extend into the lights like the '02-. That's why I replaced the lights with '03+, which is also a bolt on. You just have to modify the rear lamp harness from a 4 bulb to a 2 bulb (easy).

The only down side is if you keep the original '98 trunk lock cylinder you won't be able to use the key as the new panel doen't have the indent around the keyhole allowing to key to fit, the new panel is flat. I didn't care so I kept the old lock. I don't remember ever using a key to open the trunk, you have the remote, door switch, and keyless pad to open it with.

i planned on changing my tail lights to an all red(without the chrome strips) so it'll all work. i dont remember even using the key to open the door let alone the trunk, thanks to my viper 5900 :banana:

armandjones82
05-07-2011, 01:49 AM

The only down side is if you keep the original '98 trunk lock (http://www.car-stuff.com/trunklock.htm) cylinder you won't be able to use the key as the new panel doen't have the indent around the keyhole allowing to key to fit, the new panel is flat. I didn't care so I kept the old lock. I don't remember ever using a key to open the trunk, you have the remote, door switch, and keyless pad to open it with.

Interesting thing to read here. I just think that following these instructions can help you out in the long run. I just hope that things will be well by doing these things.