PDA

View Full Version : National Flag of Canada

Bluerauder
02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I learn something new every day. :D The current Flag of Canada was adopted on 15 February 1965. This is the red flag with white square and red maple leaf :canada: that is familiar to most people. In fact, it is the only Canadian flag that I can recall.

However, I was watching a show last night on the "Calgary Stampede". It must have dated to the mid-1950's based on the clothes that people were wearing. The Canadian Flag was shown alongside the US Flag :flag: and I didn't recognize it at all. WTH is that??? Had to do some research and educate myself on this. Prior to February 1965, Canada used the Red Canadian Ensign which was a red flag with the Royal UK Union Jack in the upper left and a coat of arms centered on the right side.

So, in 5 more days --- :canada: HAPPY 44th BIRTHDAY TO THE CANADIAN FLAG !!! :canada:

:birthday:

Serge
02-10-2009, 02:34 PM
linky..... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Red_Ensign)

Dr Caleb
02-10-2009, 02:55 PM
linky..... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Red_Ensign)

In addition to all the Red/Blue ensigns, there were also the 3/4/5/7 province ensigns. And the Canadian Expeditionary Force (World War I) flags.

:canada: Happy Birthday to the Red and White!

In Days of yore,
From Britain's shore,
Wolfe the dauntless hero came
And planted firm Britannia's flag
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave,

Our boast, our pride,
And join in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
The Maple Leaf Forever!

gdmjoe
02-10-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.geocities.com/gdmjoe/CAanimated.gif

Ms. Denmark
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
You're right Charlie, learn something new every day. Had no idea the Maple Leaf Flag was a relative new comer.

freakstatus
02-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Hawaii's state flag still has British ties to it as well.

Aren Jay
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Don't worry Blue Boy I'm back, you can stop missing me already.

Tom Doan
02-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Every where but Timmons, they use a dish rag on the end of a stick.:lol:

Vortex
02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Hawaii's state flag still has British ties to it as well.
The only reason the Hawaii flag has the Union Jack in the corner is that the Queen thought it looked nice, there was no significant British influence in Hawaii (except for James Cook who was killed there).

freakstatus
02-12-2009, 09:32 AM
The only reason the Hawaii flag has the Union Jack in the corner is that the Queen thought it looked nice, there was no significant British influence in Hawaii (except for James Cook who was killed there).

Huh? It was designed by Kamehameha I as a symbol of Hawaii's historical relationship with Great Britian as its protectorate.

CBT
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
What's the capital of Canada?

freakstatus
02-12-2009, 10:17 AM

Its the O-T-T.

Haggis
02-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Isn't it like Churchill or Yellowknife?

CBT
02-12-2009, 11:09 AM

I think the capital is actually about 57 bucks.

Haggis
02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I think the capital is actually about 57 bucks.

I thought that was the GNP of Canada?

Dr Caleb
02-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Fort McMurray, AB. :)

Haggis
02-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Fort McMurray, AB. :)

Where ever that is? :dunno:

Dr Caleb
02-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Where ever that is? :dunno:

It's where 10% of the gasoline in your tank comes from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_McMurray

Fort McMurray Alberta is also the second largest city in Newfoundland and Labrador. (that is such a regional joke, you might not get it.)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060922.wmacgregor22/BNStory/Front

freakstatus
02-12-2009, 11:49 AM
It's where 10% of the gasoline in your tank comes from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_McMurray

Fort McMurray Alberta is also the second largest city in Newfoundland and Labrador. (that is such a regional joke, you might not get it.)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060922.wmacgregor22/BNStory/Front

Are you guys still getting those cheques due to the provinces surplus?

Dr Caleb
02-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Are you guys still getting those cheques due to the provinces surplus?

No, that was one time, 5 years ago. And we still haven't been forgiven.

It was a stupid move on the part of "King Ralph", now the Heritage fund is only 17 Billion, yet Sweden's is in the 200 Billion range.

Aren Jay
02-12-2009, 01:24 PM
That $300 bucks came in handy.

King Ralph's downfall came when only 52% of the people voted for him after he stopped drinking and said that ruling Alberta was no fun anymore. 52% was a big embarressment and he just had to leave.

One wonders if any other politicians would step down if they only got 52% of the vote?

CBT
02-12-2009, 02:02 PM
King Ralph? Hey do you guys have Prince Albert in a can up there?

Bulten Rauder
02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
The real Capital is Ottawa.

Fort McMurray is nothing but an environmental disaster zone with greed at every corner. It amazes me where people will go to earn thier money just to go back home and drink it away.

BTW< thnks for cluing me in you're Canadian AJ.

mossiehorn
02-12-2009, 02:07 PM
capital is Ottawa and none of our banks have failed or been bailed out

CBT
02-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Touche, Sir.

freakstatus
02-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Thank goodness....a chunk my retirement funds are tied up in bank stocks. ....We don't rely on gov't pensions anymore up here.

Dr Caleb
02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
King Ralph? Hey do you guys have Prince Albert in a can up there?

No, but we have King Edward in a box.

Fort McMurray is nothing but an environmental disaster zone with greed at every corner. It amazes me where people will go to earn thier money just to go back home and drink it away.

Yea, but you still enjoyed the benefits of multi-billion dollar surplus budgets, while they lasted.

You ever been to Fort Mac?

Bulten Rauder
02-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Take a look around Oshawa, Cambridge, Milton though...there's some tough times ahead! I was at Karmax in Milton yesterday...was like a ghost town...lotsa pink slips, even at Toyota here in Cambridge...very quiet...

Wish I could buy stocks in the BEER STORE

Bulten Rauder
02-12-2009, 02:22 PM
No, but we have King Edward in a box.

Yea, but you still enjoyed the benefits of multi-billion dollar surplus budgets, while they lasted.

You don't actually believe the rest of this great country benefitted from Ft. Mac do ya? There are actually a few of us in Ontario that perform a function too man.

Tunderin Jeesis, I bin dare an...Calgary yes bye. Dam trajic wut day doin to da cuntreeside dare bye.

freakstatus
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM

I opened the Staples store up there a few years ago. High teen pregnancy rate as well up there (one of the highest per capita in Canada).....those rig pigs get pretty horny up there after 4 days sweatin it out...then come down and spend all their money on booze and women at Cowboys....:beer:

Dr Caleb
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
You don't actually believe the rest of this great country benefitted from Ft. Mac do ya? There are actually a few of us in Ontario that perform a function too man.

Tunderin Jeesis, I bin dare an...Calgary yes bye. Dam trajic wut day doin to da cuntreeside dare bye.

$150 oil didn't hurt, me son. But, it's not all of Fort Mac. The plants, lord liftin' tunder'in Jeezus, dey be pilliaged but good. Da townies, de be pretty hard workin cause de finished all da werk back home. Had ta come here give us fellers a hand dere buy.

If dem baywops wants ta put up der feets and have a drop or two, dey deserves it bye!

Dr Caleb
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I opened the Staples store up there a few years ago. High teen pregnancy rate as well up there (one of the highest per capita in Canada).....those rig pigs get pretty horny up there after 4 days sweatin it out...then come down and spend all their money on booze and women at Cowboys....:beer:

Yep. I think the ratio of men:women was 9:1 (by statscan!) when I was up there. I opened 2 banks, and the Walmart, did some work at the Hospital and got the hell out of there.

My rent got jacked to $1700 month for a 2 bed in the Towers. :argue:

Time to leave Dodge.

freakstatus
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
What year were you there for Wal Mart? I remember the Walmart opening at the same time as Staples, in the same power centre...maybe they were already open come to think of it.<!-- / message -->

Tom Doan
02-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Tank U, we really do not deserve to have such a good gang covering our "12":2thumbs:

Bulten Rauder
02-12-2009, 04:31 PM
And tanks for watchin our 52?

Dr Caleb
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
What year were you there for Wal Mart? I remember the Walmart opening at the same time as Staples, in the same power centre...maybe they were already open come to think of it.<!-- / message -->

I lived in Fort Mac . . 93 to 99, or thereabouts. Would have been the winter or spring of 99 that they built it. I set up the initial networking, then servers and wireless. I had to keep coming back because they would unplug the server keyboard/mouse and plug them in to a workstation. Then unplug/plug back in to the server.

In the winter. In Fort Mac. :rolleyes: (When approaching a door handle in Fort Mac in winter, it was like the Emperor in ' Return of the Jedi' . .. and now young Skywalker . . you will DIE!)

Instead of calling to get their switch box replaced. :rolleyes: Gotta love Walmart employees.