PDA

View Full Version : Looked at a G8 GXP yesterday

Vortex
02-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Stopped by Sewell Pontiac and checked out the new G8 GXP they had on the sales floor. As background the Pontiac G8 is actually the Holden Commodore built in Australia. Really a nice car. The Regular G8 GT has a 365 hp V8 with an automatic only, the GXP has a 405 hp V8 with a 6 speed Tremec manual. Also comes with big Brembos and wheels from the Caddy CTS-V. Anyway, this car was on my short list if I wanted to trade my Montego "driving appliance". I am, as some of you know, a "man of size" and I had no trouble getting in and out. I did notice this car is more narrow than my Montego so it feels like you would be touching shoulders with any front seat passenger. The length of the car was ok; I noticed there appeared to be plenty of backseat room, including lots of legroom back there.
To me though, I have to admit it wasnt quite what I wanted. This particular car had a sunroof so my head was of course barely grazing the headliner with the seat all the way down and back. It didnt seem as comfortable for a big man as my Montego to be honest. I know it goes like a son of a gun but Id have to trade the Montego and add something like 25k on top of that. Well, the Montego only has 22k miles so its still newish and I just think Ill hold off. Im crossing the G8 off my list but I still think its a great car and encourage everyone to check it out in person. Before my MM, I owned an 04 GTO and that car was really nice too and was no real trouble. I had to sell it because I needed a four-door at the time, though in retrospect I should have just kept the GTO and bought the MM anyway. Big car show in Dallas this coming week too.