PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Help

STLR FN
02-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Hope someone can give me a hand. i bought a Dell Studio 1537 3 weeks ago. Worked fine for the first week and a half then everytime I turned it on it would go into Starup Repair mode. Did this for about a week and was able to repair whatever was wrong. Now for the last week and a half it would go into Startup Repair mode but will not fix the problem. The laptop won't even acces windows. I spoke with Dell's cust. support and they feel the OS is corrupt. I was able to pull some info off and this is what I got:

Prob Sig 01: Auto Failover
Prob Sig 02: 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000
Prob Sig 03: 6
Prob Sig 04:327685
Prob Sig 05: Bad Driver
Prob Sig 06: Bad Driver
Prob Sig 07: 0
Prob Sig 08: 3
Prob Sig 09: Wrp Repair
Prob Sig 10: 1168

I was able to find this listed in the startup repair screen: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

The only thing I have done was add LogiTech's software for my wireless mouse and that was 2 weeks ago.

The only thing I have doone was add LogiTech's software for my wireless mouse and that was 2 weeks ago.

As of right now it's running fine.

Also if I was to put in my recovery disk would it reboot the OS.

The OS is Vista w SP1 <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

xopher
02-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Hard to say, but in my experience, it has some of the characteristics of a bad hard drive, i.e. a bad sector, meaning that it might be shot. If this is a brand new system, I'd press Dell for a replacement, assuming you have your data (pics, docs, etc.) archived on another PC or drive.

If you put in the recovery disk, it shouldn't re-install the OS without asking you first.

Is there data on this machine you need to hold on to? Do you have this data on other hard drives, flash drives or other storage locations?

computertech
02-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey STLR FN

PM me with your phone number i`d be happy to help a fellow member anytime.......Computer :help: is what i`m here for

Serge
02-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Did it come with any CDs? Most Dells ship with Drivers and Utilities CDs. On those same CDs are Dell diagnostics. Start they system and hit F12 so it takes you to the boot menu. Then select boot from CD. A menu should come up with a bunch of options. Select diagnostics. You should then have several diagnostic options. I found Dell diags to be one of the best so if there is a hardware problem, it will find it, especially a hard drive issue.

Another thing you can do is boot from a Windows CD, assuming you are running XP. Keep agreeing with all the options until you get to the screen that asks you if you want to repair or reinstall Windows. Select repair. It will take a few minutes to go through the procedure. This may or may not fix it.

If it's not a hardware issue then your Windows is indeed corrupt and the above procedure should fix it in most cases. If it doesn't then you will most likely need to reinstall.

ctrlraven
02-16-2009, 10:11 AM
If you bought it 3 weeks ago take it back to the store you bought it from or give them a call.

illwood
02-16-2009, 10:53 AM
I spoke with Dell's cust. support and they feel the OS is corrupt.
First off, Dell's customer support does not always know as much about computers as I think they should. I think there are a good number of occasions when they are just typing your symptoms into a database and hoping for a solution.

Now, on to your problem. I did a quick search on your descriptions and I found some useful information. There is a Windows update KB944533 (which is the Cumulative Security Update for IE7) that seems to be causing almost an identical problem in other peoples computers running Vista.

Do you have Automatic Updates turned on? If that update is the problem and you have Automatic Updates turned on, it makes it more difficult to diagnose the problem as you don't know when updates have been installed. Personally, I have my Dell laptop running Vista set to notify me of updates, but I choose when to install them (I have the XP partition on the same machine set the same way).

As for the Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2 problem, this has been documented (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;932520) as a bug by Microsoft, but it is not supposed to cause any problems.