PDA

View Full Version : Prices for Used MMs

GordonB
02-19-2009, 08:35 PM
If there is such demand for good, quality used cars, why are some of our beloved MMs languishing and dropping substantially in value? Is it because of poor gas mileage or preceived lack of quality or owners beating them to death (just kidding on this one)?

I found this article in Newsweek, FWIW:
"AUTOS Trade-In Nation
While new car sales stall, used vehicles are flying off dealers' lots."

Here is the link: http://www.newsweek.com/id/185461

I am somewhat confused, but I gues I need a Toyota or a Honda or a ??? other foreign car, NOT!

GordonB

rayjay
02-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Its a "nitch" car Gordon. The book value means nothing in the real world unless you are trading in. I have noticed that in some areas the MM holds its value better than other areas. A locality where there are many MM will have weak resale because they are readily available. Where I am they are few and far between. If I were to sell mine it would be private sale only and since I do not "need" to sell it I can hold out for the right price. I believe as good examples of these dwindle the prices will rise. I don't believe they will ever go big buck because of the platform they are based off. If I wanted to sell mine and could get $15-16K for a 5 year old car with 64K on the clock, I'd be ok with that. We'll see where we are 10 years from now. I own handguns that I could sell used for twice what I paid for them new 3-4 years ago. Its a matter that I have what someone wants and can't readily find. Like any potential collectable, its a crap shoot.

GordonB
02-20-2009, 06:24 AM
rayjay,
I agree with you entirely.
GordonB

Marylandrauder
02-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Gordon, this is Brent here, I have met you and your wife at the last 2 shows at Safford Lincoln Mercury. I know that both of the Marauder's you have are stock, which in the FUTURE will be good for resale value.

My Dad's car as well as mine are both stock and with so many people changing these cars, ours will be worth a lot of money, but that will be in the future, maybe 20 years from now.

I know guys who picked up GTO's and 57 Chevy's real cheap back in the 1970's, fast forward 10 to 20 years later and there value sky rocketed.

I was watching the Mecum auto auction and they had a 1964 Mercury Marauder that went for $125,000

You have to figure that they made so few of these cars, 7000 in 03, and 3000 in 04, that they will be worth a lot because there are so few around. You can also take into account the number that have been wrecked will decrease the number that are available.

Gordon, if you have any concerns you can PM me and we can talk, with smaller cars being the norm in the future you and I are in the drivers seat.

BUCKWHEAT
02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Haven't valuable cars been high volume factory hot-rods that inspired young people when new. As the "young" people were older and rich enough to buy their high school dreams, the values shot up.
I think our cars were way too low volume to capture the imagination and weren't of interest to the younger folks when new. Result: I forecast that the MM's will plateau at a price half that of a comparable vintage collectible Mustang GT. I agree that the stock MM's will have values at or above the modified cars.

Bottom line, buy what you like and enjoy it. Want an investment, buy gold.

Blk Mamba
02-20-2009, 09:36 PM
rayjay, I agree 100%, and I feel I won this crap shot.

justbob
02-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Thats why i keep ALL my stock parts.

tjg442
02-22-2009, 07:09 AM
rayjay, I agree 100%, and I feel I won this crap shot.

RIGHT ON !! GOT WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR, COMFORT, SPEED, BIG 4 DOOR, AND WILL HOLD VALUE FOR SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE ?
AND....I JUST PLAIN LIKE THIS CAR....AND I DRIVE IT ALL YEAR ROUND.....GUNS ? IF I CAN STEAL ONE, I'LL BUY THEM TOO ! "COLTS" "WINCHESTERS", FOREVER !!!!! :bows: