PDA

View Full Version : New Engine Building Tech

FordNut
02-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Reading today in one of the Engineering News periodicals, a place in North Carolina puts diamond coatings on internal parts. They have been doing it for F1 and NASCAR for parts like lifters but they have just developed a technique for putting the coating on aluminum parts like pistons. The diamond coating has very low friction coefficient, but it is also really hard so it reduces wear. Name of the company is Bekaert/Sorevi. If I hadn't already done my buildup using teflon coatings I would look into this a little more.

Blk Mamba
02-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I worked for a large machine builder, they sent there stuff to Buffalo NY, to a place that did, many coatings, including their signature high service coating Balzers Balznit, like "soot" on the parts, but fantastic.

burt ragio
02-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I bet dimond coating could drive ones bullet proof build cost through the roof. Now lets see would she know if her real dimond was replaced with a zerconeian ?

Tom Doan
02-26-2009, 07:03 AM
I know the people and technology quite well using them in the medical industries. But IMHO I recommend casidium coating,more durable to flex and goes on at 150f much better for the parts.