PDA

View Full Version : i survived chicago (and meeting dom!)

a_d_a_m
02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
yes, it's true!

several friends (8, in two cars) and i went to chicago this weekend to see my favorite band, the new bomb turks. yes, it was a far drive, but since they only play maybe twice a year anymore it was definitely worth it. besides, i have a few friends out there and figured i'd meet a MMN or CVNer and have a chicago dog or 3.

dom was brave enough to come down to the already-full cobra lounge and fight his way to the front, where we were treated to ONE good opening band (there were 3 openers). the audience was comprised of a ton of annoying chicago hipsters, but i did meet several cool chicago folks, and aside from the cleveland people i brought with me, i saw some cle folks there i haven't seen in FOREVER! a few of my radio show listeners even showed up, which was weird, since i had never met them but they apparently knew me.

at any rate, the new bomb turks took the stage and were absolutely amazing. one of the more rowdy gigs i've ever been to. my clothes from that night (in the hamper now) smelled completely awful. it was like a mix of my sweat, beer, and other peoples' sweat. when i woke up the next morning my whole body hurt and i had lost my voice. and it was completely worth it! :D

hey dom, how many 41 year-olds do you know that can put on a show like this:
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww15/bullntheheather/battle271.jpg

(i'm just out of frame behind that bearded guy)

at the end of the night, i was too exhausted to even process thoughts, and although dom wanted me to experience real chicago cuisine, i had to pass. i did, however, go to portillo's the next morning and get a maxwell street polish -- tasty!

surprisingly, while i was out there, there were no marauder sightings, but believe me: I WAS LOOKING! i did see a michigan resident with a vanity plate of "P71BUFF" (white P71) as well as a DTR CVLX sport on I-90 in indiana. both seemed oblivious to me being around them.

i drove the marquis, and i'm glad i did, because there was a ton of snow on the way there and 2 tons of salt on the way back. even with a traffic jam and city driving, the marquis provided 21.5mpg on the way there and an impressive 25mpg on the way back. that's with 4 people in the car + overnight bags/blankets/pillows for each. on the way back, we were going between 80 and 85mph for the most part aside from a 30 mile stretch of 90mph in convoy with a few other cars.

TAKEDOWN
02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I would've came out and get a lil RoWdYyY myself! I knew you were coming to town and going to the cobra lounge, but unaware of date & time, sounds like I missed out!!!

a_d_a_m
02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
from what i understand, there was a line of at least 50 outside the place pretty early into the night.
one thing i forgot to mention, is that is the FIRST new bomb turks show i didn't even have ONE beer at. it was too impossible to get to the bar, so i just stayed up front and had people bring me pop, water, whatever they could easily get. the band is just as good WITHOUT beer!

i might come out to chi-town sometime this summer and do something car-related. there are plenty of folks out there, plus i have a few places to stay and whatnot. i still don't like the city that much but it's not as bad as the first time i was there.

TAKEDOWN
02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
There's a big midwest meet that Uncle Lar mentioned about located somewhere in Lasalle, IL by "Starve Rock" we're attempting a MARAUDER convoy in! This you gotta go to. BTW I installed my tinted tail lights today. Next up fronts and reverse lights, just not as dark!

justbob
02-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Gee Adam thanks for the warning about coming here!

a_d_a_m
02-23-2009, 08:48 PM
There's a big midwest meet that Uncle Lar mentioned about located somewhere in Lasalle, IL by "Starve Rock" we're attempting a MARAUDER convoy in! This you gotta go to. BTW I installed my tinted tail lights today. Next up fronts and reverse lights, just not as dark!

i won't know about that one until probably the week of the meet. depends on what gas prices are and what my money situation is...

pix of the lights, now!

bob, i didn't really know if i was coming or not until the night before. i actually called tony (trash) from a truck stop in indiana and said "give dom my phone number and tell him i'm comin' to town" - i figured if anyone from this site would go to that concert it would be dom.

Mike
02-23-2009, 10:31 PM
yes, it's true!

several friends (8, in two cars) and i went to chicago this weekend to see my favorite band, the new bomb turks. yes, it was a far drive, but since they only play maybe twice a year anymore it was definitely worth it. besides, i have a few friends out there and figured i'd meet a MMN or CVNer and have a chicago dog or 3.

dom was brave enough to come down to the already-full cobra lounge and fight his way to the front, where we were treated to ONE good opening band (there were 3 openers). the audience was comprised of a ton of annoying chicago hipsters, but i did meet several cool chicago folks, and aside from the cleveland people i brought with me, i saw some cle folks there i haven't seen in FOREVER! a few of my radio show listeners even showed up, which was weird, since i had never met them but they apparently knew me.

at any rate, the new bomb turks took the stage and were absolutely amazing. one of the more rowdy gigs i've ever been to. my clothes from that night (in the hamper now) smelled completely awful. it was like a mix of my sweat, beer, and other peoples' sweat. when i woke up the next morning my whole body hurt and i had lost my voice. and it was completely worth it! :D

hey dom, how many 41 year-olds do you know that can put on a show like this:
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww15/bullntheheather/battle271.jpg

(i'm just out of frame behind that bearded guy)

at the end of the night, i was too exhausted to even process thoughts, and although dom wanted me to experience real chicago cuisine, i had to pass. i did, however, go to portillo's the next morning and get a maxwell street polish -- tasty!

surprisingly, while i was out there, there were no marauder sightings, but believe me: I WAS LOOKING! i did see a michigan resident with a vanity plate of "P71BUFF" (white P71) as well as a DTR CVLX sport on I-90 in indiana. both seemed oblivious to me being around them.

i drove the marquis, and i'm glad i did, because there was a ton of snow on the way there and 2 tons of salt on the way back. even with a traffic jam and city driving, the marquis provided 21.5mpg on the way there and an impressive 25mpg on the way back. that's with 4 people in the car + overnight bags/blankets/pillows for each. on the way back, we were going between 80 and 85mph for the most part aside from a 30 mile stretch of 90mph in convoy with a few other cars.

New Bomb Turks.....reminds me of a GREAT movie....The Hollywood Knights. It has Tony Danza, Michelle Pfiffer, Robert Wulh & Fran Drescher...A damn funny movie!!

UncleLar
02-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Man,and I thought I had an exciting night sitting at home watching Lawrence Welk re runs. :lol:

Speaking of the JC Whitney Show,it's going to be Sunday May 3rd,slightly more than 2 months from now.
Also,they have a showroom store on site and will be giving 10% discounts the day of the show so if you need anything that'll be a good time to get it.

a_d_a_m
02-24-2009, 04:08 AM
New Bomb Turks.....reminds me of a GREAT movie....The Hollywood Knights. well, YEAH! where do you think the name came from? :P

Blackened300a
02-24-2009, 04:36 AM
New Bomb Turks.....reminds me of a GREAT movie....The Hollywood Knights. It has Tony Danza, Michelle Pfiffer, Robert Wulh & Fran Drescher...A damn funny movie!!

The words "great movie" and "Tony Danza" shouldnt be used in the same sentence. :nono:

SC Cheesehead
02-24-2009, 07:18 AM

And who could ever forget Stuart Pankin as Dudley Laywicker?

Dudley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0659573/): Mother, I have a assignation with a young lady. I am going to explore the boundaries of my manhood. Mother, I am going to get laid.

Dudley's Mother (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0462090/): You're going to be late, dear?

TAKEDOWN
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Check it out, Adam I definitely need to smoke the fronts and reverse lights!

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Wow takedown, that is hot.

What was used to tint them? Or did you send them in?

a_d_a_m
02-25-2009, 04:09 AM
Check it out, Adam looks like it turned out pretty darn good!

TAKEDOWN
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Wow takedown, that is hot.

What was used to tint them? Or did you send them in?

I sent hem in to Jon's tinted tailights, next up reverse lights and fronts.

Mike
02-25-2009, 07:45 PM
And who could ever forget Stuart Pankin as Dudley Laywicker?

Dudley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0659573/): Mother, I have a assignation with a young lady. I am going to explore the boundaries of my manhood. Mother, I am going to get laid.

Dudley's Mother (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0462090/): You're going to be late, dear?

DUDLEY- I need my puffer!! :lol: