PDA

View Full Version : Impala SS (96-96)

Black_Noise
03-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Whos got one?

I know a few like em, several despise them, I kinda like em.

I used to dream about having one before the MM came out, but I was young and broke and they were new.
After the MM came out it was definatly a must have before an SS, but Im a car guy and I love almost all things with a motor, and I have respect and can understand what they SS guys like about em.

I have seen a few on my local craigslist lately for decent prices. Im not a place to buy one right now, trying to get all bills payed off now, but maybe in the now to distant future.

I still would be interested in one, maybe a DD in the future.

Anyone here own an MM and an SS?

Anyone owned on, and then went to an MM?

Anyone gone from an MM to an SS?

If you just flat out hate them, you need not waste a post saying so.

ImpalaSlayer
03-01-2009, 08:24 PM
i despise there looks but respect them. and they sound better then any mm ever will.

rayjay
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I drove them for a few years in the 90s ;)

sd8683
03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I like em....

Black_Noise
03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I drove them for a few years in the 90s ;)

whats your opinons on that VS. the MM?

Zack
03-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Awesome exterior, Taxi interior.

That killed it for me.

n00bkiller944
03-01-2009, 08:38 PM
I also would really like one, but know nothing about them...

rayjay
03-01-2009, 08:50 PM
whats your opinons on that VS. the MM?

Zack said it best. I enjoyed driving them, but IIRC they spent alot of time in the shop and didn't hold up to severe service as well as a CV. Quite quick though compared to the CV Interceptors of the day. I never drove a civilian version so I have no comparison for those to a Marauder.

Local Boy
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I would want one, so I could use the MM for "special duy" only...

ALOHA

freakstatus
03-01-2009, 10:41 PM
For me it was always the Grand National....until the Marauder came along.

Iowa Rick
03-01-2009, 11:12 PM
We considered one in 96. It was a really sharp black one at the local chevy dealer. The thing that killed it for us was the fan noise (engine cooling). The exhaust was too quiet and the fan just roared something terrible. The final deciding factor was the dealer had the addition markup sticker with stuff like paint protector, stain proofing and the like crap for several thousand more.

We had the police package ones at work and they had problems as I recall with some ignition related component that was behind the water pump. The mechanics really complained about servicing it for some reason.

I drove one of our fleet ones and while getting on it, the throttle plate jammed wide open. Fortunately the brakes were pretty decent. Rick

Fourth Horseman
03-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I wanted one, but timing and finances just never worked out.

AConvertedChevy
03-01-2009, 11:35 PM
ill take a SS or even a 9C1 or LTZ anyday
there nice cars, especially if they got the LT1:banana2:

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-02-2009, 12:11 AM
I still want one to compliment my MM.

tjg442
03-02-2009, 05:54 AM
ill take a SS or even a 9C1 or LTZ anyday
there nice cars, especially if they got the LT1:banana2: they were the hot thing back then, drove one new in 96, then in 01, went looking for a used one, that's when I found Buick had the same platform, with a way nicer interior, still have the Roadmaster 96, with 175000, wife's car, she gets 21 mpg with that boat too !! yah, LT1 !

Spectragod
03-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Had 2 SS's, one warmed over never in service 9C1/LT1, definatly an awesome highway car.

SID210SA
03-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I like them....but I would like them alot better if it wasn't for some of their narrow minded owners....

Taemian
03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Driven them, felt more like a barge than the MM (or CVPI) ever could. They were great as an office, but not much more than that. I've seen lots of aftermarket mods for them that make 'em run amazing numbers, but once you actually sit inside it, you usually feel completely separate from the car. It never endears itself to you, though the looks can grow on you. I destroyed quite a few 9C1s in my time for stunts when I switched careers later, and had access to lots of free parts, but it still wasn't enough to motivate me to get on that platform.

RF Overlord
03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
they had problems as I recall with some ignition related component that was behind the water pump. The mechanics really complained about servicing it for some reason.That's the OptiSpark. It was GM's grand vision for electronic ignition that they totally botched. Uses an optical sensor for triggering, but a conventional cap and rotor for distribution. It sits under the water pump and in earlier models is not sealed or vented properly. When it goes bad, you have to dismantle a LOT to access it, including the water pump and the crank pulley.

Jeez, even my old '94 T-bird had distributor-less ignition... :rolleyes:

gohogs
03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I was looking for a used SS before I bought the MM. When I found out what they wanted for a 6 year old SS with 100k miles, the MM was a no-brainer.

No regrets....then or now!

TAKEDOWN
03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I do loved them, but that was until I became a MARAUDER owner, now they're just okay!

SC Cheesehead
03-02-2009, 12:13 PM
03mmmonroe had one, you might want to PM him for some insight if he doesn't post up to this thread.

Joe Walsh
03-02-2009, 12:19 PM
We considered one in 96. It was a really sharp black one at the local chevy dealer. The thing that killed it for us was the fan noise (engine cooling). The exhaust was too quiet and the fan just roared something terrible. Rick

I really liked them. (as was noted;...great looking exterior...bland taxi interior.)
That 350 SBC ran pretty good!
I almost bought an Impala SS in '96.
A black one...of course!

But, I really needed AWD, a roof rack and good towing capacity, so I ended up buying a '96 S10 Blazer with the 4.3 Vortec V6.
A black one...of course!

BTW: My Blazer also had THE LOUDEST fan I've ever heard on a vehicle!!

They are easy to mod....
You can drop a ZZ502 BBC crate engine ($8,099 from Summit Racing) in and get 502 HP/567 FTLB!!!
That's about what I dropped in my 5.0....:(

justbob
03-02-2009, 03:19 PM
I used to love them but now they look seriously dated with those tiny rims. I've seen a few with 18's/19's and lowered a touch with a rake like our's, and WOW what a difference. I almost bought a beat one last year, it was red with headers, exhaust, and a few other goodies but had a seriously bad miss (owner admitted it had no compression in one cyl.), ratty int., and a busted rr quarter glass. Still, it was only $2,700.00. Price was right, but i had no money to throw back into it.

03mmmonroe
03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Hello I drove both for 4 years. I had a 96SS and the MM. I sold the ss in 2007 and miss it some days. I was not driving the SS and MM much 3k less a year. Was offered 15k for the SS with 160k miles. I took it and some time I wish I did not. Both cars are fun. The ss had more in the seat feel from stops. But the MM had better road feel and was better on the road course. Hope this helps. I am still selling parts from my ss that I am finding.

scruff
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
i have 96 one here with the police package it came without posi trac white with blue interior the car is parked out back now with all the other junk, swaping out the plug wires and cap is a real pita behind water pump but when that car was tuned up it would haul ass for a boat the Lt1 motor was under rated at 265hp by GM , that thing was putting out way more then that. Does,nt handle as well as the panthers

Black_Noise
03-02-2009, 06:09 PM
wow... so nobody owns both currently?

Ive seen 2 locally for 6k-7.5k

If i had afew morw bills payed off, i would go kick the tires

rayjay
03-03-2009, 05:14 AM
i have 96 one here with the police package it came without posi trac white with blue interior the car is parked out back now with all the other junk, swaping out the plug wires and cap is a real pita behind water pump but when that car was tuned up it would haul ass for a boat the Lt1 motor was under rated at 265hp by GM , that thing was putting out way more then that. Does,nt handle as well as the panthers

No posi in Ontario? Guess that got parked everytime it snowed.

CKMustangCobra
03-03-2009, 08:13 AM
They are OK.

I have driven one. I like how they look for the most part. Plenty of power down low.

From experience and friends experience... I just couldn't bring myself to own an LT1. Nothing but nightmares with the reverse cooling and optispark (optisuck) ignition.

I have owned 9 Fords... no reason to break the chain. I bought a 4 sedan with the engine I love.

http://www.vipimports.com/images/carsforsale/96_Impala/001.jpg

OR

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/mercury_marauder.jpg

No brainer.

Vortex
03-03-2009, 08:34 AM
I liked em myself. Think it would be nice to own one and an MM. Also, if you want to see something that will make you cry/puke, just check out the local offerings on Craigs List for 95/96 Impalas. For the most part, those cars have been trashed with goofy wheels/tires, stupid grilles, crappy stereos and shiteous paint jobs.

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-03-2009, 12:23 PM
That one CK posted is hella sexy tho. With those wheels and clear corners, it really gives it a more updated look. Definitely would want one to keep my MM company in the future.

lincolnpimp
03-03-2009, 02:16 PM
I have a hugh amount of respect for these cars....