PDA

View Full Version : Hey! You old guys,..looky here!

jabird56
03-03-2009, 08:21 PM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner%5CLOCA LS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01% 5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} pre {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
http://thefiftiesandsixties.com:80/CarsWeDrove.htm (http://thefiftiesandsixties.com/CarsWeDrove.htm)<o:p></o:p></pre>
<o:p> </o:p></pre>
<o:p> </o:p></pre>

Spectragod
03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Way cool.......

PantherP71
03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Very cool.

quota
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Beauriful !
Cars were the stars. Difficult to make it glamorous in our days, with Prius and Insight.

JP

TAKEDOWN
03-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm all about it, I sure wish I was around for the roaring 20's and the 50's!

Pat
03-04-2009, 01:46 AM
I Remember. Those 55-57 Chevy's were tough to beat with their first ever 1HP per cubic inch. The Power Pack option, 4BBl and dual exhaust.

I remember cruizing the Boulevards in San Antonio, starting off on Hollywood near downtown, go north to the Pig Stand, then on to the "playground", the A&W "coach whip, the "Big Orange", there were more but names escape me now.

I remember the "ritual" of driving in with the car in second letting the exhaust tone of your "cherry bomb's" announce your arrival, slowly troop the line from one end to the other and either leave with a burn out, speed shifting through third or circle back and do it again.

When parking, all had to be in a straight line (where possible).

I had a raked out '50 olds coupe with duals and big tires on the rear, cost - $100.00. Thought I was the coolest.

Man, I had to pull out my High School yearbooks, one thing I noticed right away, we were all thin.

Really good times, for me anyway.

Bluerauder
03-04-2009, 05:03 AM
Thanks, Jay. Have seen that before; but I never get tired of looking at the classic cars from that era. :up:

I was too young to drive in the '50s. However, I can remember 'em all just like yesterday. It is amazing how I can pick out the make and model of almost every car in that clip even when seeing only a partial shot of the headlights, taillights, fins or bumpers. Every car make had distinctive styling cues that were unmistakeable. You didn't need to look for a hood emblem to know it was a Ford, Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, etc. ..... Seeing one of these beauties at a car show today is a real treat. :D

SC Cheesehead
03-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Beauriful !
Cars were the stars. Difficult to make it glamorous in our days, with Prius and Insight.

JP

Yeah, somehow the thought of a chopped and channeled Prius just doesn't do it for me.....:D

Although I think flames would help.......:hotrice::lol:

Marauderman
03-04-2009, 05:38 AM
Very well done --way cool--was there for sure during those times as a few have mentioned----my Dad was a Chevy dealer from '48-'58---so you can imagine the fun and cars we had....know them all very well...--truly the best times in life and those cars and times were just as described--

Mike Poore
03-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Thanks, I did that. It was at Richardson's Drive In at Hagerstown, MD. It was American Graffiti, and yes, it was a great time to be a kid.

Haggis
03-04-2009, 06:17 AM
Thanks, I did that. It was at Richardson's Drive In at Hagerstown, MD. It was American Graffiti, and yes, it was a great time to be a kid.

***NEWS ALERT***

For all those that attended MVV, Richardson's has closed its doors due to the economy.

Mike Poore
03-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Sorry to hear that, Gordon. Those were great times.

BTW, that video reminded me, once again that Robert Mitchum could not sing....thunder road :tmi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRH7FtAAbJE

jflave
03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks, i enjoyed that, things just seem to be better back then.

CentralMaRobit
03-07-2009, 06:37 AM
In High School, my friend bought a new car..GTO with the 389 4bll, 4sp and let me drive it...I still hyperventilate when I think of it. That car just rocketed. This was a time when my sister was driving a Corvair...4 cyl and 0-60 in 22sec.
A few years later I bought a 69 Camaro SS396 with leather buckets, no airbag, no pollution control just a body, half frame and a 325hp 4bll with a short throw 4spd Hurst. A very light car with a lot of hp.
A lot of the early muscle cars, aside from chrome wheels and wide tires were not that dressy. Most were built for one thing...god awful speed.
The Camaro was that. You couldn't sit in the back seat unless you had no legs (having sex in it was a challenge) but if you wanted a car that you could cruise at 100 and wanted to bring to 140 just as easy then that was one.

erainsford
03-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the pic's. makes me long for my 70 road runner

Oh well those were the days

DTR 157 out of 3213