PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Panel Cleaning?

imorb1994
03-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I was wondering what methods people are using to clean the insturment panel. I had always used armor all on my CVPI, after 8 years on cleaning it, it is scratched so badly that in bright sun sometimes you cant see the gauges. After owing My MM for a year it finally needs a little attention on the inside.

Taemian
03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Clear plastic polish. Any of the major brands.

I spray it liberally on a soft cloth...NEVER PAPER TOWEL...and it cleans/polishes at the same time.

Joe Walsh
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Clear plastic polish. Any of the major brands.

I spray it liberally on a soft cloth...NEVER PAPER TOWEL...and it cleans/polishes at the same time.

^ +1 ^

Years ago, I wasted a pair of Oakley sunglasses by cleaning them with paper towels...:eek:
I had no clue how abrasive and nasty paper towels were until my Oakleys looked like veterans of Desert Strom.
:(

SC Cheesehead
03-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey, has anybody tried cleaning the INSIDE of the instrument panel? Just wondering how much of a PITA it is.

Embassy
03-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey, has anybody tried cleaning the INSIDE of the instrument panel? Just wondering how much of a PITA it is.

It's easy..............once you remove the dash trim, cluster/vent trim, and gauge cluster. :cool:

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/215604/fullsize/gauge-cluster--being-removed.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/588/26138

fastblackmerc
03-04-2009, 03:43 PM

Rex, it's a PITA..... but I do it once a year.

BTW....

NEVER use paper towels on plastic surfaces. The towels are made out of wood pulp.

Use a microfiber cloth and plastic cleaner then plastic polish which is sold in boat stores.

DJCV
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Clean the INSIDE of the instrument cluster once a year?

I keep a very, very clean car (and believe me when I say I'm known for it among friends, extended family and co-workers ;)) but I just can't believe the inside of the cluster is that susceptible to dust/dirt...am I missing something?

fastblackmerc
03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Clean the INSIDE of the instrument cluster once a year?

I keep a very, very clean car (and believe me when I say I'm known for it among friends, extended family and co-workers ;)) but I just can't believe the inside of the cluster is that susceptible to dust/dirt...am I missing something?

Take a close look at it, especially where the trip reset lever is.

ImpalaSlayer
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Take a close look at it, especially where the trip reset lever is.

yup its begging to bug me, all the little pieses of dust and what not. but not enough to take out the cluster

J D
03-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't know how but a piece of dry leaf, or something made its way inside there. The dust I can allow but hell if I have to take the dash apart to get at that darn leaf thing! Perhaps a very tinny vacuum?

Embassy
03-05-2009, 10:35 AM
yup its begging to bug me, all the little pieses of dust and what not. but not enough to take out the cluster

A can of compressed air will do wonders for this.

Zack
03-05-2009, 10:38 AM
The next time I clean the inside of the cluster, Im gonna install a grommet around the odo reset thingy to keep the dust out.

fastblackmerc
03-05-2009, 11:04 AM
The next time I clean the inside of the cluster, Im gonna install a grommet around the odo reset thingy to keep the dust out.

Been there done that... got the t-shirt......

Will be upgrading the instrument cluster bulbs to LEDs and installing an LED strip shortly.