PDA

View Full Version : Prospective

Mike Poore
03-06-2009, 08:33 AM
It's a generational thing: http://barefootmeg.multiply.com/video/item/56 :rolleyes:

duhtroll
03-06-2009, 09:13 AM
I just saw this guy perform in Dubuque last weekend. He is right up there with Lewis Black.

Bigdogjim
03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
How true! Good one Mike!!

Blk Mamba
03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
We had phones that were on a party line, you answered when the right combination of rings sounded. If a different combination of rings sounded, then it was for someone else. (anyone on your party line could pick up their receiver and listen to your call) You had to pick up the receiver, and wait for the operator to place a call. This was a small town in southern NY, but a few years later we got one of the first police, fire phone systems. 911! 1964

tjg442
03-07-2009, 06:49 AM
We had phones that were on a party line, you answered when the right combination of rings sounded. If a different combination of rings sounded, then it was for someone else. (anyone on your party line could pick up their receiver and listen to your call) You had to pick up the receiver, and wait for the operator to place a call. This was a small town in southern NY, but a few years later we got one of the first police, fire phone systems. 911! 1964YOU DOG ! EVEN BEFORE THE "ROTORY" DIAL.?...:banana:

Vortex
03-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Some old time observations:

When I was a kid we flew to Germany on a Super Connie, there were no jets! (we had to land in the Azores to REFUEL!);

I lived in Germany when they BUILT the Berlin Wall;

Remember when a set of tires would last, what, 7,000 miles or so?

And sure, on old cars you could do your own tune ups but remember, you HAD to tune it up about every 8-10,000 miles!

Blk Mamba
03-07-2009, 02:00 PM
My dad took me every friday night to fill up the car, he'd put a $5 bill out the window and say fill er up, then on the way home we would stop in front of the drug store, he would give me a quarter, for a pack of camels, I'd go in the front door put the quarter in the machine, pull the knob for matches, then pull the cigarette knob. When the pack came out there were three brand new pennies in the cellophane, those were mine for penny candy.

Mike Poore
03-07-2009, 02:39 PM
My dad took me every friday night to fill up the car, he'd put a $5 bill out the window and say fill er up, then on the way home we would stop in front of the drug store, he would give me a quarter, for a pack of camels, I'd go in the front door put the quarter in the machine, pull the knob for matches, then pull the cigarette knob. When the pack came out there were three brand new pennies in the cellophane, those were mine for penny candy.

I had forgotten the pennies. Dad smoked Raleigh and had boxes full of the coupons; although I don't recall him ever getting anything with them. I remember the gas station too. Usually you'd ask for Two Dollars worth, which mostly filled the tank, and you'd get the windows cleaned, and the oil and radiator checked. The service station guy, usually the owner, always had a rag sticking out of the hip pocket of his coveralls. He'd always say "Fill 'er up?" which would set the old man to grumbling and he'd always get two dollars worth. Of course, you got your windshield cleaned more often that way. :D

Bluerauder
03-07-2009, 04:00 PM
I miss those "Fill 'er up" days. Of course, I can't remember gas prices much below $0.299 per gallon when I was a kid. There were alot of those $2.00 gas runs. That 2 dollars was good enough for a whole night out on the town. The attendant always checked the oil and cleaned the windows even though my Dad took very good care of his car and did all of the work on it too. Major stations actually competed for your business --

tjg442
03-08-2009, 07:51 AM
My dad took me every friday night to fill up the car, he'd put a $5 bill out the window and say fill er up, then on the way home we would stop in front of the drug store, he would give me a quarter, for a pack of camels, I'd go in the front door put the quarter in the machine, pull the knob for matches, then pull the cigarette knob. When the pack came out there were three brand new pennies in the cellophane, those were mine for penny candy."GREEN STAMPS" TOO ??? :banana:

Blk Mamba
03-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Don't get me started on "S&H" green stamps, or any of the others, I've got hours of stories, thus my user name. Trash...Total Recall About Strange Happenings

Bluerauder
03-08-2009, 09:40 AM
And I think that the title of this thread should be "Perspective". :P

tjg442
03-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Don't get me started on "S&H" green stamps, or any of the others, I've got hours of stories, thus my user name. Trash...Total Recall About Strange Happenings LOOKS AS IF SHOULD START A WEB-SITE, "OLD TIMERS MARAUDER.NET" :banana: