PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Ever Heard of This?

Ross
09-29-2003, 08:02 AM
I was watching some car show on the cable this past weekend. The host was interviewing the owner of some detail shop that had a lot of really expensive looking cars in it. He was giving tips on detailing, and one in particular got my attention. To shine and blacken tires, he uses motor oil! He said to wipe the oil onto the tires, and after several weeks of once a week application, even if the tires are dirty, you can just wash them and buff them with a rag and the dark black shine comes back. He says that after many years of doing this, he knows that the oil won't cause any damage to tires. Anyone ever heard of this or tried it?

Bigdogjim
09-29-2003, 08:08 AM
I saw the same show. Looks good. I am going to try it on one of the work vans.

Will let you know.

Menace
09-29-2003, 09:49 AM
Watch out it doesn't get flung off onto your paint. Wipe it really good.

GarageMahal
09-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Saw the same show and thought it was an interesting idea. I will definately give it a try on my snow tires.

jta

DetGeno
09-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........Maybe I'll try this on my winter shoes as well?

ChuckB
09-29-2003, 10:54 AM
i saw the same show and about fell out of the chair laughing.

Putting motor oil on the outside of the tires - first of all sligs it all over the outside of the car - wonderful to remove, no matter how thin you put it on. heat and centrifical force flings some off.

if you use a car cover gets the cover oily and the break dust sticks real good - and in turn after putting the cover on and off a few times leaves all sorts of blotches on the paint.

lastly - if you enjoy some spirited cornering are you sure you want any goo on the tires?

my solution simple green and a stiff brissled brush makes the tires nice and black and doesn't have all the baggage of gooing the tires.

RF Overlord
09-29-2003, 11:02 AM
^^^what ChuckB said^^^

Putting motor oil on tires... :rolleyes: :shake:

LincMercLover
09-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Shh! I wanted to see someone pour oil all over their tires and see what happend! Geez... now you all ruined it... :shake:
:lol:

SergntMac
09-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Sould I use the factory recommended 5W20 synthetic blend, or goo all out with some Royal Purple?

Ross
09-29-2003, 01:10 PM
I asked if anyone had heard of it before, I didn't say that I had already done it! :shake: Besides, motor oil couldn't be much more gooey than some of the tire shine stuff I have tried!

RCSignals
09-29-2003, 04:28 PM
I've never heard of it. Sounds like something a 16 year old would do because he couldn't afford tire dressing.

Oil and petroleum products are usually not good for rubber.

Even Armorall would be better, at least it would replace some silicon to the tires

deerejoe
09-29-2003, 08:46 PM
I wonder if it would work on the dash and Nudo seats??

Just a real light coat tho'...

Slowpoke
09-29-2003, 08:50 PM
I saw the same show too -- pretty interesting tha we were all watching the same program,

I assume we all watch CSI, and Law & Order (all flavors).

Are we all watching the Packer/Bear game tonight too?

bigslim
09-29-2003, 09:12 PM
I know years ago before Armor All I heard of people putting brake fluid on tires. I know it cracks the tires and is not good. I wonder if motor oil will do the same.

Ross
09-30-2003, 07:25 AM
When I hear about things like this that are new and different to me, I try to always consider the source. There are some people who might suggest something, and I would automatically know it's wrong. What got my attention about this oil on the tires thing, is that it came from a guy who, according to the show, has owned and operated an expensive, high end detail shop for several decades. I don't think he could get away with ruining the tires on customer's Mecedes, or having oil slung up on the body from the tires for very long.

TheDealer
09-30-2003, 09:59 AM
35 years ago before tire dressings I was told you NEVER put a petroleum based product on tires!!!! We used to use brake fluid!!

MMdriver03
09-30-2003, 04:43 PM
I have seen antifreeze used about 20 years ago on new truck tires @ truck shows :banned:

gonzo50
09-30-2003, 05:00 PM
The motor oil must be used on the vehicles he keeps parked and garaged because driving with motor oil on tires just doesn't make real sense to me. Especially when it rains, water and oil are not compatible and it will be like driving on Black Ice.:nono:

RCSignals
09-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Go ahead and do it if you like, but I'm positive there are better things to put on your tires.

The recommendation reminds me of the woodworker who said "why put linseed oil or Swedish oil on your project when you can use motor oil?"

marchyde
10-01-2003, 04:39 PM
In 1981 we used motor oil on our 2 1/2 and 5 Ton trucks during inspections. US Goverment issue oil on Goverment issue tires. New tires every 1.5 years. Looked good but NONE of us would ever dare put oil on our POV tires. To each their own, just not my cup of tea/oil.

Bigdogjim
10-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Sould I use the factory recommended 5W20 synthetic blend, or goo all out with some Royal Purple?

Good point Mac! I think I'll try regular its cheaper to work with.
Synthetic might have extra addatives that could harm the rubber?:help:

tomd
10-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Ross
The host was interviewing the owner of some detail shop that had a lot of really expensive looking cars in it.

Does this owner drive them or just look at them? :confused: