PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Ford!

Blackened300a
03-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Its either because its Friday the 13th or maybe the fact that Ford decided to save a few bucks by designing a plastic intake manifold for the Crown vic BUT, This morning I had a great old time when the thermostat housing on my intake decided to split in half and blow antifreeze all over the engine to the point that white smoke was pouring out the hood and under the car. I must have looked like a giant cloud flying down the highway. The belt also got soaked and slipped so I also had no alternator and was running on battery power. I only had to make it to my shop which was another 3 miles away when I was totally out of water and had to pull over. I made a call and a friend came and brought water to get me to my shop.
I had ordered the PI intake with aluminum coolant crossover last week because I saw a hairline crack and a small leak starting. I just didnt expect it to explode out all at once. :mad2:
To top it off, when the anti-freeze sprayed the engine, it also managed to short out two coils so that really made my day.
I guess it was good that I bought the manifold. I did the swap within 3 hours start to finish and no more leaks. I also replaced the 2 coils so its running fine again.

:censor: plastic intakes!!!

rayjay
03-14-2009, 06:35 AM
The exact reason I decided to buy the Evil Orb for a DD, 5 year WARRANTY. I no longer like those kind of surprises. Glad to hear it all worked out Paul.

Krytin
03-14-2009, 06:54 AM
It was Friday the 13th for you!!
I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

ctrlraven
03-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Same thing kinda happened to my friend's old 2000 Stang GT. He caught it before the engine coolant bath.

UncleLar
03-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey,show some respect,do you have any idea how many of those manifolds had to make and install in cars so they'd finally get you?lol
I was worried about those when I was shopping for my P71 and luckily I got a 2002 with both the PI motor and the better manifold. So what happens 7 months after I get mine,the recently replaced oil cooler hoses both start leaking where they're crimped inside the connectors.$169 for the pair list.