PDA

View Full Version : Country Music isn't bad...

Motorhead350
03-17-2009, 02:16 AM
...if you know where to find the good stuff.

I took a trip to St. Louis last week to see the only Country artist that I would ever care to see that is still in his prime. I went to see Hank Willams the third, not Jr. and Senior was dead before I was even an idea.

He put on quite a show and the fans were some of the weirdest people ever. A lot of them were on drugs and the first guy that talked to me asked if I wanted to eat some mushrooms with him because he liked my Suicidal Tendencies hoodie. Hank's lyrics were all about making fun of modern Country and music for that matter and had this "if you don't like our music f-you" sort of attitude. We were all there for many reasons, but one would be for the hatred of modern commercial music.

I had never seen anyone mosh to Country music before and everyone kept falling down because beer was all over the floor and people were sliding all over the place.

After the country set it was all about his other project Assjack. Hanks band remained the same with a drummer, steel guitar player, fiddle, upright bass, banjo and him, but he put down his acostic guitar and picked up a heavily distorted Guild electric guitar for the "Hellbilly" set. The set was crazy mixing punk, psychobilly, hillbilly, country and bluegrass in the same music. It was crazy and it's pretty hard to describe.

He actually played a third set that was a little beyond Assjack. The banjo player left, so did the steal guitar player and fiddle player. The upright bass player ditched the upright and picked up a electric bass. He also changed from looking like a Cowboy to a rocker with a tee shirt and jeans. Hank let his hair down below his sholders and proceded to play some hard rock in tribute to Dimebag of Pantera. They also brought out a singer who was pretty much screaming like the guys from Throwdown or Deathmetal music in general. I didn't completely dig the third set, but the first Country set and the second Hellbilly set were nuts. It was like we went back to the year 1952 when Country music was decent.

After the show, Hank III actually met with his fans, signed anything thrown at him and took pictures. No body guards, no nothing just him and his fans. I guess it proves he cares about his fans. He loved my Suicidal Tendencies sweat shirt too and told me he would be in "Chi-Town" this summer. I cannot wait to see him again. Probably the only artist I care about since there are no bands I care about anymore that are active.

Here is a sample of him. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEY8ARSGHTU&feature=related

-Listen to the words on that one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTrOGSJlWY

-Third set material. Not a big fan of this stuff, but it's impressive that it's all still the same musicians and proves that Hank likes all types of music and has the ability to play them too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn4V-9rPAjg&feature=related

-More Country

Sorry I couldn't find any Hellbilly material.

Have fun.

BigDogJim might actually enjoy the country stuff. SC CheeseHead already knows about Hank III!

Later.

SC Cheesehead
03-17-2009, 04:13 AM
I haveb't really got into Hank III yet, but love Hank Jr.'s stuff.

"Born to Boogie" is one of my all-time favorites.

Got_1
03-17-2009, 04:47 AM
he put the d*ck in dixie and the c*nt back in country

i love hank III

a_d_a_m
03-17-2009, 06:19 AM
There's plenty of local country bands I really dig. But yeah, for the most part, country music is just southern pop music, anymore.

Slight hijack:
One OLLLLLLLLLLLD country/western swing dude I really am diggin' on lately is Tex Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbKQklwNScA

Motorhead350
03-17-2009, 06:34 AM
Wow Adam you can really tell in that song where Rock n' Roll would be invented off of! Thanks so much. Now I have to look for that song on vinyl. :cool:

a_d_a_m
03-17-2009, 06:42 AM
His best song is "Downtown Poker Club", if you can find that one.