PDA

View Full Version : Presidents Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes

bobsawyer7
03-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Check this. If you feel as outraged as I do contact your elected representatives and let them know how you feel about this travesty. Pass info on to other veterans so they can speak up also.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20090316/pl_usnw/the_american_legion_strongly_o pposed_to_president_s_plan_to_ charge_wounded_heroes_for_trea tment

The American Legion Strongly Opposed to President's Plan to Charge Wounded Heroes for Treatment
Mon Mar 16, 5:49 pm ET

To: POLITICAL EDITORS

Contact: Craig Roberts of The American Legion, +1-202-263-2982 Office, +1-202-406-0887 Cell

WASHINGTON, March 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The leader of the nation's largest veterans organization says he is "deeply disappointed and concerned" after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

"It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan," said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. "He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it."

The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, "This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ' to care for him who shall have borne the battle' given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies. I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">America</st1:place></st1:country-region>'s veterans!"

Commander Rehbein was among a group of senior officials from veterans service organizations joining the President, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki and Steven Kosiak, the overseer of defense spending at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The group's early afternoon conversation at The White House was precipitated by a letter of protest presented to the President earlier this month. The letter, co-signed by Commander Rehbein and the heads of ten colleague organizations, read, in part, " There is simply no logical explanation for billing a veteran's personal insurance for care that the VA has a responsibility to provide. While we understand the fiscal difficulties this country faces right now, placing the burden of those fiscal problems on the men and women who have already sacrificed a great deal for this country is unconscionable."

Commander Rehbein reiterated points made last week in testimony to both House and Senate Veterans' Affairs Committees. It was stated then that The American Legion believes that the reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate that VA treat service-connected injuries and disabilities given that the United States government sends members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies. The proposed requirement for these companies to reimburse the VA would not only be unfair, says the Legion, but would have an adverse impact on service-connected disabled veterans and their families. The Legion argues that, depending on the severity of the medical conditions involved, maximum insurance coverage limits could be reached through treatment of the veteran's condition alone. That would leave the rest of the family without health care benefits. The Legion also points out that many health insurance companies require deductibles to be paid before any benefits are covered. Additionally, the Legion is concerned that private insurance premiums would be elevated to cover service-connected disabled veterans and their families, especially if the veterans are self-employed or employed in small businesses unable to negotiate more favorable across-the-board insurance policy pricing. The American Legion also believes that some employers, especially small businesses, would be reluctant to hire veterans with service-connected disabilities due to the negative impact their employment might have on obtaining and financing company health care benefits.

"I got the distinct impression that the only hope of this plan not being enacted," said Commander Rehbein, "is for an alternative plan to be developed that would generate the desired $540-million in revenue. The American Legion has long advocated for Medicare reimbursement to VA for the treatment of veterans. This, we believe, would more easily meet the President's financial goal. We will present that idea in an anticipated conference call with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel in the near future.

"I only hope the administration will really listen to us then. This matter has far more serious ramifications than the President is imagining," concluded the Commander.

SOURCE The American Legion

Hadamustang1
03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't see where the soldier would have to pay?

FordNut
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
His insurance would have to pay. He would have to pay for insurance wouldn't he? And to subsidize it we will all have to pay increased premiums.

Mach1Marauder
03-17-2009, 01:04 PM

Hmmmmm.......WHY should the Insurance company have to pay for the Federal government's OBLIGATION??

As a decorated "Able Disabled" Veteran, I'm highly offended at this move move by this so called "Veteran Friendly" administration.

bobsawyer7
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM

If the veteran has a deductible, as many of us have, he would be stuck with that wouldn't he?
And why should the private insurers have to get stuck with an expense they never took into account and didn't plan for in their actuarial calculations. Then we would end up paying for the expense in higher premiums. It would amount to another hidden tax on all of us. Very crafty.

BODYMAN
03-17-2009, 01:38 PM
This is a outrage! just another wonderful idea from this administration. Bob spells it out in above post still have deductible and copay. I read this, this morning on yahoo it is a complete JOKE!! and I will be writing my locals politician's, but hey why worry about them be a senator for 1 term and get health covg for you and youre wife or other for the rest of youre life, nuf said

Bluerauder
03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
The Obama Administration is also looking at taxing military retirees for health care by doubling or even tripling the fees/premiums paid for TriCare including increasing co-pays and deductibles. This action can only serve to further erode benefits and hurt recruiting and retention.

bobsawyer7
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
The Obama Administration is also looking at taxing military retirees for health care by doubling or even tripling the fees/premiums paid for TriCare including increasing co-pays and deductibles. This action can only serve to further erode benefits and hurt recruiting and retention.

And if they institute these changes, what's next? Maybe my Mother's Social Security and retirement. Probably my retirement. They have already talked about changing rules for pensions and 410k plans.
Reminds me of a poem. I'm not making a direct comparison. I believe I need to speak-up.
Contact my elected representative. Keep up the heat. Make them accountable.

When they came for the communists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist),
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_democrat),
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_union),
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews),
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

FordNut
03-17-2009, 01:53 PM
... but hey why worry about them be a senator for 1 term and get health covg for you and youre wife or other for the rest of youre life, nuf said

They ought to have to take the same health care coverage plan they want to force on the Veterans.

FordNut
03-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Wait until we see the details of the new budget bill he's pushing. Lots of legislation is included that has nothing to do with the budget. For instance, they are going to shut down access for dirt bikes, atv's, and four-wheeling on 21 million acres of public land. A bunch of crap that has no business in the budget bill but the politicians see this as an opportunity to push a bunch of hidden agenda items onto the public in an unrelated bill. Washington politics, business as usual.

Bluerauder
03-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Wait until we see the details of the new budget bill he's pushing. Lots of legislation is included that has nothing to do with the budget. For instance, they are going to shut down access for dirt bikes, atv's, and four-wheeling on 21 million acres of public land. A bunch of crap that has no business in the budget bill but the politicians see this as an opportunity to push a bunch of hidden agenda items onto the public in an unrelated bill. Washington politics, business as usual.
There is even some talk of renaming the Washington Monument as "The Obama Shaft" -- however, both Democrats and Republicans agree that it ain't big enough. :rofl:

Mach1Marauder
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
There is even some talk of renaming the Washington Monument as "The Obama Shaft" -- however, both Democrats and Republicans agree that it ain't big enough. :rofl:
I don't care who ya are.....DAT'S FUNNAY!:banana::banana::banana :

Vortex
03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
There has been no plan/directive submitted by the Obama administration on this issue to date. The article refers to the preemptive letter issued by the American Legion on this issue. Any efforts to require wounded veterans to utilize their own insurance for treatment for injuries is a non-starter and will not happen. Just as the administration is looking into this and a million other issues, it is important for us to keep aware of whats going on in Washington.

Mach1Marauder
03-17-2009, 04:45 PM
There has been no plan/directive submitted by the Obama administration on this issue to date. The article refers to the preemptive letter issued by the American Legion on this issue. Any efforts to require wounded veterans to utilize their own insurance for treatment for injuries is a non-starter and will not happen. Just as the administration is looking into this and a million other issues, it is important for us to keep aware of whats going on in Washington.
Hmmmmm............Well there sure has been a discussion by the Obama administration on the subject!!!! Mr. Rehbein just didn't pull all these ideas out of his neither regions.:rolleyes:

lucenti
03-17-2009, 06:29 PM
What's going on in Washington is Politics as usual... and yes pay very close attention,and see through the smoke. The man came into office under the guise of sweeping changes. create problems then fix them = no change.

glassman99
03-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Man, you really don't get it. If you are severely injured in war, and come home, who the hell is going to hire you knowing they are going to have to foot the bill for your injuries? Think hard. Obama is ****** the military again and it won't be the last time. Hell, he is going to f*** everyone who is working to push forward his personal agenda. The recession we are in would be soon ending according to a lot of economists but, like Roosevelt he will extend this for personal gain. We are probably heading for a depression once his bullshi* stimulus ends next year. FU** him.

glassman99
03-17-2009, 07:44 PM
What's going on in Washington is Politics as usual... and yes pay very close attention,and see through the smoke. The man came into office under the guise of sweeping changes. create problems then fix them = no change.

I'm sorry, breaking the promise to war veterens is beyond "poliitics as usual"

Vortex
03-17-2009, 09:10 PM
To date Im unaware of any promises to veterans broken by the new administration. Discussion of issues, even contoversial issues, is not a bad thing. "My way or the highway" is for dictatorships. Do I think this will happen? No. Do I agree with it? No. Should it be discussed? Sure, thats what you do in a democracy.

Mach1Marauder
03-17-2009, 09:18 PM
To date Im unaware of any promises to veterans broken by the new administration. Discussion of issues, even contoversial issues, is not a bad thing. "My way or the highway" is for dictatorships. Do I think this will happen? No. Do I agree with it? No. Should it be discussed? Sure, thats what you do in a democracy.

Really?
Hmmmmm..........but we don't live in a DEMOCRACY. :P

You're too easy.;)

Vortex
03-17-2009, 09:33 PM
True, its a republic based on democratic (small d) principles. Anyway, you get my point.

Baaad GN
03-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Here! This is cute. On Jan 6th, 2009 Rep Conyers and Rep Scott introduced a revised bill for reparations and apparently Has Obama's support. The Act (Bill) is called "Commission to Study Reparations and Proposals for African-American Act.
This team of 8-10 people was funded by the recent bill signed by Obama and is to report back to the President before then end of the year with recommendations.
Hmmm I guess it was just a matter of time.

Mach1Marauder
03-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Here! This is cute. On Jan 6th, 2009 Rep Conyers and Rep Scott introduced a revised bill for reparations and apparently Has Obama's support. The Act (Bill) is called "Commission to Study Reparations and Proposals for African-American Act.
This team of 8-10 people was funded by the recent bill signed by Obama and is to report back to the President before then end of the year with recommendations.

That tard Conyers does the same damn thing every damn year since he was elected!

This damn trash that YOUR representative Rep. Bobby Rush [D-IL] came up with is a travesty to to true Americans!http://www.govtrack.us/data/photos/400350-100px.jpeg
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-45

FordNut
03-18-2009, 03:47 AM
That tard Conyers does the same damn thing every damn year since he was elected!

This damn trash that YOUR representative Rep. Bobby Rush [D-IL] came up with is a travesty to to true Americans!http://www.govtrack.us/data/photos/400350-100px.jpeg
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-45

I knew it wouldn't take long. Get yer guns while ya can! Been to a gun show lately? You'll be lucky to find a parking place, and the line to get in the door will be at least 1/2 hour. Bought any ammo lately? Lots of places don't have it in several popular calibers, it sells faster than they can get it. Try to buy some 380 bullets.

bobsawyer7
03-18-2009, 04:35 AM
Here's a helpful site to locate your elected representatives and keep on top of what's going on in the legislature.
The President doesn't act alone. He needs the votes of those we sent to Washington.
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/ (http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/)

whd507
03-18-2009, 04:39 AM
my son just joined the Army reserves, and our elderly veteran neighbor (a democrat) advised him to not rely on tri-care for any primary care, but keep his private insurance as the primary plan. he thinks it will be rolled into medicare within a few years.

BODYMAN
03-18-2009, 04:59 AM
I knew it wouldn't take long. Get yer guns while ya can! Been to a gun show lately? You'll be lucky to find a parking place, and the line to get in the door will be at least 1/2 hour. Bought any ammo lately? Lots of places don't have it in several popular calibers, it sells faster than they can get it. Try to buy some 380 bullets.

GUN SHOWS have been packed and ammo ha,ha a 1,000 rounds 7.62 cant hardly get it, and if you do plan on paying a arm and a leg for it. Were (the dems) not taking youre guns? SURE but what good is a gun without ammo there going to encode the ammo here in the near future and plan to pay 4-5 times more than you have paid in the past. Its there way of getting to us all with out actually making anything illegall just to expensive.
Brian, you seemed to hit the nail on the head on some of youre other posts on this thread. I have been doing some gathering of things for the past 5 yrs kinda saw something coming. :beer:

Vortex
03-18-2009, 08:38 AM

BS. The current administration has never voiced support for HR 40.

BODYMAN
03-18-2009, 09:07 AM
BS. The current administration has never voiced support for HR 40.

DO THEY REALLY HAVE TO??? IT IS ONE OF THERE OWN WHO HAS INTRO EVERY YEAR SINCE 1989 i GUESS IT IS A DEM THING?? THEY ARE TRYING OR HE IS TRYING TO GET A CO-SPONSOR FOR THE BILL (CONYERS).

High-C
03-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Those of us with at least half of a brain in our heads new this BS was coming... It's too bad that half of the people that voted for him don't even understand how our government operates and know even less about the dangers of his BIG GOVERNMENT mentality...

For someone who actually quotes and compares himself to President Lincoln... he needs to heed some of his advice...

MrBluGruv
03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
The entire Washington situation is FUBAR hands-down. Honestly though, you can't place the blame of all these bills and added items on Obama alone, just like you can't realistically blame the shortfalls of the past 8 years on Bush alone, the congress has a much larger part to play, and in fact now more than ever it seems. Obama wasn't elected as a president, he was elected as a popular swell-guy, and it's obvious from the way he was brought into office to the fact that he's got an appearance on the Tonight Show. He's a face, a speaker, but not a leader. It just so happens that he's got such radical perspective on the way things are that the democratic majority congress have little trouble pushing through their own private agendas, which is why they loev having him ready to sign their bills.

I'm not sure what i find more disappointing, the democrats in a lustful pursuit for whatever power than can grab and exercise, or the republicans in the congress who have taken a stance of apathy/caving in for "bipartisanship". I think beyond all that it's even more disappointing how severely out of touch the people are with their governing body, to the point where they've willingly voted this catastrophe into being.

I don't think there has been a single positive promise that Obama has made on his campaign trail that he has followed through on, and in fact most all that I can see that he's come up against he has seriously dropped the ball on.

We are now in (tax) debt deeper than imaginable, due to their plan to, in its simplest sense, reinforce and promote the very system that brought us into this economic dive in the first place, to "aid" those that invited touble upon themselves.

The beauty of their plan is that all that they do is a misdirection. There are those staunch conservatives that shout "he will take your money, he will take your guns, he will take your property," but they most definately won't be that direct about it. He takes your money, by making it worthless, and the gun issue was already discussed, etc.

I would've hoped it would've been a bigger sign for people when he was (albeit unofficially, to the best of my knowledge) endorsed by the American communist party, but you'll still hear people swear up and down that he couldn't possibly be of a socialist mindset with these schemes....

BODYMAN
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I watch a clip of a program cant remember what channell and they asked several NYC residents what they thought about Obama and his running mate Sarah Palin and several of them stated I thinks she is great and will be a good choice for VP. In short they did not even know who his running mate was, so do you think they knew what his proposals and actions would be or should I say promises. They voted him in for other reasons or personal reasons. I just got a kick out of the response from some of the people on the question they were asked.