PDA

View Full Version : Paraplegic Man Walks After Spider Bite

ctrlraven
03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
http://news.aol.com/health/article/paraplegic-man-spider-bite/383836

Dr Caleb
03-17-2009, 02:14 PM
In other news, a red and blue human like spider being seen swinging from buildings in New York.

Blackened300a
03-17-2009, 02:19 PM
In other news, a red and blue human like spider being seen swinging from buildings in New York.

Thats only during the gay pride parade.

O's Fan Rich
03-17-2009, 02:20 PM
That's an interesting story.
May pointy to some new treatments.

Just so the don't rename the Brown Recluse Spider "The Jesus Spider"....

ctrlraven
03-17-2009, 03:17 PM
That's an interesting story.
May pointy to some new treatments.

Just so the don't rename the Brown Recluse Spider "The Jesus Spider"....

At least someone took the thread half way seriously lol.

PantherP71
03-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Wait till they start introducing spider bites as treatments.

musclemerc
03-17-2009, 07:31 PM
I've actually been bitten by a brown recluse spider before and believe me if he was to ever feel pain again thats the spider to give it to him. That :censor: hurts like a :censor: .

Black_Noise
03-17-2009, 08:10 PM
that just shows how much science could help out if they could ever figure out why and how

Dr Caleb
03-17-2009, 08:18 PM
that just shows how much science could help out if they could ever figure out why and how

The story incorrectly implies the spider had anything to do with his recovery.

"Blancarte said when he was evaluated at the Modesto hospital his lifeless legs were tested – actually electrically zapped by a doctor – to measure nerve function. Not having been able to use his lower limbs for two decades, he was in awe to hear that his nerves were actually alive and could move them again."

http://www.mantecabulletin.com/news/article/2117/

Nerves can regenerate, it just takes a while. He hadn't had his nerve conduction tested in some time, and the spider bite put him back in a place where they retested him.

Which is why there was no point in being serious about the story. It's a fluff piece.

ctrlraven
03-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Tick spit is a popular research.

Researchers also want to find the numbing agents in tick spit that allows the parasite to latch onto a host's skin without being detected. "If you felt it as soon as it bit you, you would whack it off," says Mather. "But (the numbing agent) makes it so you can't feel it."

Isolating the anticoagulant properties in tick spit could aid researchers studying human blood transfusions

In effect, says Mather, the saliva contains a pain killer that's essential during a tick's three- to five-day feeding period.

That pain killer could lead to a useful medicine for humans.

Researchers also want to isolate the anti-coagulant properties in tick spit that keep blood flowing when normally it would clot.

Anti-coagulants are used to treat people who have blood clots or during blood transfusions.

UncleLar
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM
My mother had MS,Multiple Sclerosis,and she was in a wheelchair mostly paralyzed for 34 years before she passed away.I have 4 friends now who also have MS.It seems to manifest itself somewhat differently in each person.Two have undergone venom treatment with some level of success.One undergoes bee sting treatments here in the USA,the other used to cross the border into Mexico for snake venom treatments which were illegal here. The bee stings have been helping symptoms but are not a cure.The snake venom helped a lot but my friend could not afford to keep going down there for the treatments but has not lost any of the ground he gained.
There's a whole world of flora and fauna out there just waiting for someone to experiment and find what may be used to treat what.I doubt one spider bite was or is a miracle cure but with all the different types of venomous spiders and their various toxins who knows what science might come up with provided there are enough funds for research.

Haggis
03-18-2009, 04:02 AM
Its Witchcraft I tell you, Witchcraft!!!

Richy04
03-18-2009, 06:15 AM
There was a woman with MS and was to the point that she couldn't walk and had to be carried by her husband. While taking a bath, lightening hit the stack pipe and she flew out of the tub onto the floor. She woke up and walked into the kitchen to tell her husband what happened. She could walk again and showed little signs that she was ever even sick.