PDA

View Full Version : Is this a GOOD Daily Driver So my marauder can rest?

bigbillybbs
03-18-2009, 12:02 AM
So I drive my marauder all the time. I feel like I am just racking up the miles. So I am thinking with my tax return I am going to buy a 2003-2005 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I only plan on spending $4500 on one. Cuz that’s what I got back in taxes.
I plan on using it as the car I drive daily so my marauder can rest and only go out on the nice sunny days. I cant stand driving small cars. I need a big solid 4 door beast with POWER… What do you guys think…??

Shora
03-18-2009, 12:32 AM
So I drive my marauder all the time. I feel like I am just racking up the miles. So I am thinking with my tax return I am going to buy a 2003-2005 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I only plan on spending $4500 on one. Cuz that’s what I got back in taxes.
I plan on using it as the car I drive daily so my marauder can rest and only go out on the nice sunny days. I cant stand driving small cars. I need a big solid 4 door beast with POWER… What do you guys think…??

Is this a serious question?

You're from NY gosh darn it. You see those cars being run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in police and taxi applications (some with over 500K miles on them) and you still ask if they are good daily drivers especially when you "need a big sold 4 door..."?

Is your next question going to ask those of us on this board if we like Marauders?

If your question was serious then I am sorry for being rude, but at least you got your answer.

I bought a 2009 4 banger for a daily but I didn't have the same requirements as you. I can Fit more stuff in it than the Marauder, gets me over 33 MPG, and zips in and around the city with joy.

Good luck.

Blackened300a
03-18-2009, 03:24 AM
I have a 99 Crown vic and its extremely reliable. I only paid $2K for it with 85K miles and it runs like a clock. Just make sure you swap over the plastic intake manifold for the PI one.

offroadkarter
03-18-2009, 03:42 AM
I have a 99 Crown vic and its extremely reliable. I only paid $2K for it with 85K miles and it runs like a clock. Just make sure you swap over the plastic intake manifold for the PI one.

03-05 has the aluminum crossover intake, 01 was the first year they switched once the motor went to PI

RoyLPita
03-18-2009, 03:51 AM
If you found one, PM me the VIN for an OASIS report.

CROWNMARAUDER
03-18-2009, 05:01 AM
I have a 2002 crown vic lx sport & in the 3 years I have had it it has only needed normal routine maintenance. These are very comfortable & reliable cars.

CKMustangCobra
03-18-2009, 05:14 AM
My buddie has a 03 Vic Sport (wife took it when she left)... other than the motor and a few minor cosmetic things... it is very similar and 1/2 the cost. I'd buy one. Panther cars are awesome.

rayjay
03-18-2009, 05:18 AM
If you want a retired police unit check the NYS auctions and try to get a retired troop car from the Thruway troop. All highway miles on good roads, well for the most part. Many local PDs are keeping units inservice well beyond the mileage they used to retire them at. These are most likely beat to death by the time they auction them. The last Crown Vic I had was retired at 150K.

Bradley G
03-18-2009, 05:36 AM
With all the blue hairs that drive Panthers (get no hard use).
Why would someone think an ex-cruiser would be better?
Someone help me!:bricks:

tjl006
03-18-2009, 05:37 AM
There are only to reasons not to drive the MM everyday, snow and when your working on it. Save the 4500 towards a supercharger. Drive the marauder everyday and enjoy it. :)

a_d_a_m
03-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Why would someone think an ex-cruiser would be better? +1. For the price of a cruiser with a ton of idle time, you can probably pick up a Marquis or civilian CV with half the miles.

bigbillybbs
03-18-2009, 01:06 PM

You're from NY gosh darn it. You see those cars being run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in police and taxi applications (some with over 500K miles on them) and you still ask if they are good daily drivers especially when you "need a big sold 4 door..."?

Is your next question going to ask those of us on this board if we like Marauders?

If your question was serious then I am sorry for being rude, but at least you got your answer.

I bought a 2009 4 banger for a daily but I didn't have the same requirements as you. I can Fit more stuff in it than the Marauder, gets me over 33 MPG, and zips in and around the city with joy.

Good luck.

Yes my question was serious. I figured I would get reliable information back from people on the forum. Things I didn’t know or advice on getting one.
For example
RoyLPita can give me an OASIS report on one for me
Rayjay gave me a hint to check NYS auctions and try to get a retired troop car from the Thruway troop.
All good information I wouldn’t of known without the post.
I found on this Site even if I ask a question about something I feel I already know the answer to, I always learn more than before I posted the question..

BAD MERC
03-18-2009, 01:13 PM

Good luck.

I was thinking the same thing - a police car is run HARD 24/7, has had 152,849 people piss and puke in it and never shuts off. They are driven foot to the floor and have the electrical system taxed to the limit. It may last awhile but you're better off finding a non-fleet Panther with more miles on it. Generally those cars are owned by people that don't beat the piss out of them. My DD is a 2006 Taurus. Although not exciting - it is reliable and invisible to radar.

tjl006
03-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Theres a company in Albany called key motors. They sell used police and municipality vehicles. I bought 96 caprice 9c1 from them. There cars are a little expensive, but they offer a warranty on the cars for six months if i remember correctly. I believe the owners name is Craig. The number there is 518-885-0507.

CWright
03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
I have an 03 300A with 48,777 miles. I have had it for about 1 year. Trying to keep miles low to enjoy car even longer. Have had the 05 CV for 2 years and very pleased with performance. Have a before and after pict of CV with the changes I made in appearance. I like the idea you have toward saving miles.

Blackened300a
03-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Your making me wanna try a side by side pic with my DD and Marauder. You wouldn't believe that Im the owner of the CV with the way I take care of the other car. :D

UncleLar
03-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I've got a 2002 CV P71,(the Tootsie Roll).I picked it up with 99,800 miles on it for $3600.It was a Champaign County,IL. Sheriff's car and I love it.I drive a cement truck and parking anywhere near the yard tears up a cars paint with the dust and slurry and idiot drivers slopping concrete around,plus the salt used here in Chicago so I bought the P71 to save my MM.I can tell you if and or when the P71 dies I'm going to miss it.
Just about anything you would want to know about buying,maintaining,or modifying a used P71 Crown Vic police car can be found at crownvic.net. Go over there and check them out,usually the members have some good cars available for sale there or know where you can find one. I'm over there as UncleLar too. http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Shora
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes my question was serious. I figured I would get reliable information back from people on the forum. Things I didn’t know or advice on getting one.
For example
RoyLPita can give me an OASIS report on one for me
Rayjay gave me a hint to check NYS auctions and try to get a retired troop car from the Thruway troop.
All good information I wouldn’t of known without the post.
I found on this Site even if I ask a question about something I feel I already know the answer to, I always learn more than before I posted the question..

Now I understand your point. If only you worded your question different.

Nevertheless, I used CVPI as DD for years until I bought the 4 banger a few months ago. I loved ever minute of driving them but the Marauder still allways felt so different and better in every way.

If I was buying a cheap DD (as in used) I would consider a panther again strongly. However, now that I bought the 4 banger and saw all the advantages, I am not going back.

Do keep us updated and take your time to find the right one at the right price. They great used ones take a few weeks/ months to pop up but they allways do. Do not settle.

offroadkarter
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Why would someone think an ex-cruiser would be better?
Someone help me!:bricks:

Cop chip

Interceptor motor

factory alternator supercharger

Stab proof seats

Bullet proof tires

mmssdriver
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
JUST DO IT.. no need for an explanation..