PDA

View Full Version : Interior paint options?

blazen71
03-18-2009, 05:14 AM
I've got the part number for the Charcoal Black FOMOCO interior vinyl paint, but read that it's actually darker than the original color. Are ther any other options?

MM03MOK
03-18-2009, 05:32 AM
It's probably the right color, but with the interior fading over time, it would be hard to do just a patch. You may need to do a whole piece. What are you fixing?

SC Cheesehead
03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
I've got the part number for the Charcoal Black FOMOCO interior vinyl paint, but read that it's actually darker than the original color. Are ther any other options?

What's the part number? Also, what are you planning to paint?

1 Bad Merc
03-18-2009, 07:17 AM
I know just what you are talking about as I am adding the Pillar boost gauge pod to my trim. The pod comes in Black and I went to the Ford dealer and bought a can of Charcoal Black - Part # M4jz-19m547-4149H. I tried this on a piece of scrap plastic and it is Black! I am going to go and get the Medium Graphite -M4JZ-19m547-4245H as this was recommended to me by a fellow member. There was a 3rd number given to me and the last 4 digits were 1074 but I am not sure what color paint that might be but it could be an option.

Not sure how close the paint will be as I have to go buy it today but it should be real close. Has to be better then Black I just bought!

Good Luck with your project.

Brad

blazen71
03-18-2009, 07:30 AM
I know just what you are talking about as I am adding the Pillar boost gauge pod to my trim. The pod comes in Black and I went to the Ford dealer and bought a can of Charcoal Black - Part # M4jz-19m547-4149H. I tried this on a piece of scrap plastic and it is Black! I am going to go and get the Medium Graphite -M4JZ-19m547-4245H as this was recommended to me by a fellow member. There was a 3rd number given to me and the last 4 digits were 1074 but I am not sure what color paint that might be but it could be an option.

Not sure how close the paint will be as I have to go buy it today but it should be real close. Has to be better then Black I just bought!

Good Luck with your project.

Brad
Let me know how the Medium Graphite looks. I'm going to paint and install my gauge pod this weekend!

SC Cheesehead
03-18-2009, 07:31 AM
I am going to go and get the Medium Graphite -M4JZ-19m547-4245H as this was recommended to me by a fellow member. There was a 3rd number given to me and the last 4 digits were 1074 but I am not sure what color paint that might be but it could be an option.

Hey Brad, good info!

Keep us posted on the results.

1 Bad Merc
03-18-2009, 07:40 AM
No problem:D

Hopefully I will be able to get the paint from the dealer at lunch time. I am planning on painting tonight so I will let you guys know how it turns out. I did glue the pod to the trim last night and ended up having to use about 6 clamps to hold the pieces together as they set. That seemed like the only way I could get the contour of the pod to match up with the trim piece. You know how plastic is not always perfect!

Mary is also right too. I have heard of guys having to take both trim pieces off (drivers side/passenger side) because of fading issues and having to paint them both. I should not have that problem (I hope) because my car sits in the garage alot but you never know. Just another thing to keep in mind:)

Brad

1 Bad Merc
03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Okay....here is the update. Ford has now changed the code # for the Dark Medium Graphite interior paint. The new code is M4JZ-19m547-4238H. I have ordered it and it takes a day or two to come in. Will give an update when I receive it.

Brad

justbob
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Please do buddy. I'll sit back and wait for both you guys to come up with something for me:D

In my ongoing quest to keep as much of my stock parts as possible i went to the junkyard yesterday and bought a pillar for $3.21. Its from a cop car, so it has a small hole, but its right where the dual pillar goes anyways.

Embassy
03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Okay....here is the update. Ford has now changed the code # for the Dark Medium Graphite interior paint. The new code is M4JZ-19m547-4238H. I have ordered it and it takes a day or two to come in. Will give an update when I receive it.

Brad

Please do since I will be installing a dual pillar pod soon.

Blackened300a
03-18-2009, 02:54 PM
My cupholder area is a bit chipped up as well as the center gauge pod. Im curious as well to see what you guys come up with. I may have to do a strip and paint project as well.

Hacklemerc
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
The area around the window switches on the wifes DTR are all chipped up. I have been wanting to pull them off and repaint them. I will be waiting to see the outcome of this as well. Please post before and after pics.

Hack

Seneca
03-18-2009, 05:20 PM
I also tried the charcoal (BLACK) it's black. .. I ended up getting
Dupli-Color vinyl&fabric Charcoal Gray Part# HVP111
then i cleared it with...
Dupli-Color Clear Top Coat Part# T125
After the clear was applied it's very close to the Original color, I'm very happy with it. I'd post a pic accept i havent found out how to resize them to fit. I picked the paint up at Pep Boys. Seneca

ImpalaSlayer
03-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I also tried the charcoal (BLACK) it's black. .. I ended up getting
Dupli-Color vinyl&fabric Charcoal Gray Part# HVP111
then i cleared it with...
Dupli-Color Clear Top Coat Part# T125
After the clear was applied it's very close to the Original color, I'm very happy with it. I'd post a pic accept i havent found out how to resize them to fit. I picked the paint up at Pep Boys. Seneca

send them to me Seneca ill post them for you

Davecannavo@gmail.com

ImpalaSlayer
03-18-2009, 05:24 PM
I may have to do a strip and paint project as well.

please leave all stripping to the females

SC Cheesehead
03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
My cupholder area is a bit chipped up as well as the center gauge pod. Im curious as well to see what you guys come up with. I may have to do a strip and paint project as well.

The area around the window switches on the wifes DTR are all chipped up. I have been wanting to pull them off and repaint them. I will be waiting to see the outcome of this as well. Please post before and after pics.

Hack

Same issues with mine, this would be a good fix if the color's close.

gdmjoe
03-18-2009, 08:00 PM
An alternative to the FoMoCo / Motorcraft Interior Vinyl Spray Paint for "Charcoal Black" is .....

SEM COLOR COAT Flexible Coating - 15303 *Graphite

And "Yes" it is an exact match.

hot-rauder
03-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Flat black touch up, at AutoZonr worked great for me. I believe it was for Hondas lol

blazen71
03-19-2009, 04:56 AM
An alternative to the FoMoCo / Motorcraft Interior Vinyl Spray Paint for "Charcoal Black" is .....

Where can i get it?

gdmjoe
03-19-2009, 07:25 AM
blazen71 - Where can i get it?
I've been able to find it at a lot of auto supply shoppes. Would probably be available at auto paint supply places.

blazen71
03-19-2009, 09:57 AM
I've been able to find it at a lot of auto supply shoppes. Would probably be available at auto paint supply places.
I found some at the local auto paint and supply. I'm going to paint the pillar pod this weekend. i'll let you guys know how it turns out(with pics!)

justbob
03-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm in fiberglass hell! I'm in the process of molding it on. We'll see if it works out.

1 Bad Merc
03-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Bob,

Why wouldnt you just get some epoxy/gorilla glue, some clamps and glue it on? I think you are really making alot of work for yourself my friend.

Brad

justbob
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Story of my life. NOTHING is good enough for me.

1 Bad Merc
03-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Bob...you are going to have an A pillar cover that weighs 10 LBS!!!!! You better hope it never comes off when you hit the gas because you will knock yourself out!!!

Brad

justbob
03-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Yous funny Brad!!!!

justbob
03-20-2009, 10:25 PM
I tried all the local paint shops in the area and all the ones listed on SEM's website and NOBODY stocks this color!

Richy04
03-21-2009, 06:15 AM
I did a writeup about a year back on how to strip and redo the painted parts, I would recommend stripping the parts before painting so you maintain the original patina of the parts. I used oven cleaner on my door switch panels, it took some time to strip them but they look fantastic after I finished them.

I used the duplicolor, its not an exact match but the Ford stuff was way off so I ran with that. If you want perfection, wait for the proper color from the dealer or local supply house can mix it for you, just bring the part and they will color scan it.

Strip it down, clean it, then spray it. I gave mine 3 light coats and then cleared it twice and they still look like new a year later. Now to do any of the pre-painted parts, you should strip it as I said above to maintain the original texture of the plastic, the panels that have the matrix plastic (dotted plastic) on them will have to be separated as the matrix will most likely be damaged by the oven cleaner, I really dont know but I wouldnt take the chance.

SC Cheesehead
03-21-2009, 07:19 AM
I did a writeup about a year back on how to strip and redo the painted parts, I would recommend stripping the parts before painting so you maintain the original patina of the parts. I used oven cleaner on my door switch panels, it took some time to strip them but they look fantastic after I finished them.

I used the duplicolor, its not an exact match but the Ford stuff was way off so I ran with that. If you want perfection, wait for the proper color from the dealer or local supply house can mix it for you, just bring the part and they will color scan it.

Strip it down, clean it, then spray it. I gave mine 3 light coats and then cleared it twice and they still look like new a year later. Now to do any of the pre-painted parts, you should strip it as I said above to maintain the original texture of the plastic, the panels that have the matrix plastic (dotted plastic) on them will have to be separated as the matrix will most likely be damaged by the oven cleaner, I really dont know but I wouldnt take the chance.

Richy,

Lazy azz that I am, I gotta ask; can you post the link to your write-up to save me doing a search?

Thanks.

blazen71
04-14-2009, 06:16 PM
I did my install a couple weeks ago and here's what i came up with. I used SEM COLOR COAT Flexible Coating - 15303 *Graphite. The color was pretty close to stock. The stock color was a little flatter, so i painted the pillar and the pod. Looks pretty good. The paint was just under $10.

logix7
04-15-2009, 01:15 PM

bought it, used it in my 04. It was too light. Not a match

SC Cheesehead
04-15-2009, 01:35 PM
A question regarding the interior panels on Dark Charcoal and Light Flint, are the door panels, console, etc. the same on both? I've never had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison.

gdmjoe
04-15-2009, 05:43 PM
SC Cheesehead - A question regarding the interior panels on Dark Charcoal and Light Flint, are the door panels, console, etc. the same on both? I've never had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison.
Some pic's that I stowed-away a while ago for point-of-reference .....

justbob
04-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh man, thats a picture of a brand new one:drool: If i could only travel back!

gdmjoe
04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
logix7 - bought it, used it in my 04. It was too light. Not a match
Suspect that someone switched the cap. http://www.geocities.com/gdmjoe/dunno.gif

I recall seeing the results @ CrownVic.net, and what you got did not appear to be 15303 - Graphite.

SC Cheesehead
04-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Some pic's that I stowed-away a while ago for point-of-reference .....

Man, these photos bring back memories of my DTR....:bigcry:

So, do you have any pics of a Dark Charcoal interior for comparison?

Richy04
05-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Richy,

Lazy azz that I am, I gotta ask; can you post the link to your write-up to save me doing a search?

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this post Bob..

Here it is..

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46064&highlight=Repair+peeling+inter ior+paint+cheap!! (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46064&highlight=Repair+peeling+inter ior+paint+cheap%21%21)

SC Cheesehead
05-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this post Bob..

Here it is..

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46064&highlight=Repair+peeling+inter ior+paint+cheap!!

Thanks Richy, once again, you're the man! :up:

sspmustang
05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Can anyone advise on a good match for light flint? Thanks!

Also, SEM paints really are excellent-if you have a compressor, you'll get great results with an inexpensive ($35 or so) spray gun and buying the paint by the pint or quart.

fastblackmerc
05-19-2009, 09:54 PM
OK, so what's the correct paint for dark charcoal trim pieces?

gdmjoe
05-20-2009, 06:20 AM
sspmustang - can anyone advise on a good match for light flint? Thanks!
sem # 15183 ( warm gray ).

sspmustang
05-20-2009, 03:01 PM
sem # 15183 ( warm gray ).
Awesome, thanks!