PDA

View Full Version : PowerUp

Dobs
03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi,

I would like to get my MM between 350/400hp and i wanted to get suggestion mods to get it, nothing major or very expensive.

Actually thinking for K&N air filter kit and a computer management device. Is that good?

Thanks

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Buy an XCal 3 on ebay,

Get Zack tune,

Intake (K&N or JLT),

4:10 gears for the rear

That alone should put you roughly in the 350+ mark easily.

If you have the money and want to get a bit more down and dirty, you can get a 3000/3500 stall Torque Converter for your trans, or full exhaust.

^ Just what I would do. And there's lots of info on this site, the Search function works quite well.

Pat
03-21-2009, 08:31 PM
C'mon be realistic. You are starting from a car that makes 300 horsepower at the flywheel, you lose about 50 through the drive train. Thus you have about 245 to 255 at the rear wheels.

Gears and converters do not add horsepower just make more efficient use of it.
And, that will cost you about $2K with installation.

A flash tuner is about $300 including tune from various vendors That's only good for about 20-25 HP but makes driveability much better. CAI's only add a few ponies for about $150.

Long tube exhaust will cost close to 2K with installation and gets you about 50 HP.

So for about $4500.00 you have a much better performing car with only 300+ HP at the rear wheels.

The benefit of a Supercharger, depending on type, boost level and tune is 150+ HP gain at the rear wheels with no other mod's.

Cost $4-8K
Installation $.7 to $1.2K
down time - several days to 2 months.
Installers - Detroit, Mid west to Florida, not sure about Canada

I did not mention nitrous because it is not a daily drivable option. You can add it in conjunction with other mods, including supercharging, but would lend itself to racing applications not daily driving to the store.

Remember the saying, "Horsepower costs money".

What is it exactly you want your car to do? Go a lot faster, be quicker, drive and handle better? Each of these aspects may require a different set of mod's.

We haven't even discussed chassis and running gear mods to hold all this new found gain.

Others may also advise you, consider all points of view before you open the check book. Ask more questions as your information base expands.

Regards,

Black_Noise
03-21-2009, 08:38 PM
I think you shut him up Pat...

I would have been harsh and said "use the search button" but I hate seeing this question

DOOM
03-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Buy a trilogy end of story.

RF Overlord
03-21-2009, 09:34 PM
^^^what pat said^^^

Assuming you're looking for RWHP, there's no way you'll add 100 HP with an intake and tune alone. +35 HP maybe...

Blackmobile
03-21-2009, 09:39 PM
And if you want to go faster, then get a Vortech. :banana2:

ChiTownMaraud3r
03-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah forgot to mention it wouldn't be at the wheels.

Dobs
03-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Yes, it's not at the wheels.

My goal is to get around 50hp on the engine only, i think this can be realistic to get this with good air filter and comp tuning, isn't it?

I ask because probably lot of MM owner here tried it and would share their experience with those easy inexpensive mods.

rayjay
03-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, it's not at the wheels.

My goal is to get around 50hp on the engine only, i think this can be realistic to get this with good air filter and comp tuning, isn't it?

I ask because probably lot of MM owner here tried it and would share their experience with those easy inexpensive mods.

Intake and a "dyno tune" will get you where you want to be with those mods. There are a few guys from your province on here. They can steer you towards someone that can tune your car correctly. Pat gave you the straight up answers from his considerable experience.

O's Fan Rich
03-22-2009, 09:48 AM
C'mon be realistic. You are starting from a car that makes 300 horsepower at the flywheel, you lose about 50 through the drive train. Thus you have about 245 to 255 at the rear wheels.

Gears and converters do not add horsepower just make more efficient use of it.
And, that will cost you about $2K with installation.

A flash tuner is about $300 including tune from various vendors That's only good for about 20-25 HP but makes driveability much better. CAI's only add a few ponies for about $150.

Long tube exhaust will cost close to 2K with installation and gets you about 50 HP.

So for about $4500.00 you have a much better performing car with only 300+ HP at the rear wheels.

The benefit of a Supercharger, depending on type, boost level and tune is 150+ HP gain at the rear wheels with no other mod's.

Cost $4-8K
Installation $.7 to $1.2K
down time - several days to 2 months.
Installers - Detroit, Mid west to Florida, not sure about Canada

I did not mention nitrous because it is not a daily drivable option. You can add it in conjunction with other mods, including supercharging, but would lend itself to racing applications not daily driving to the store.

Remember the saying, "Horsepower costs money".

What is it exactly you want your car to do? Go a lot faster, be quicker, drive and handle better? Each of these aspects may require a different set of mod's.

We haven't even discussed chassis and running gear mods to hold all this new found gain.

Others may also advise you, consider all points of view before you open the check book. Ask more questions as your information base expands.

Regards,

He's from Quebec, so just in case:

C'mon être réaliste. Vous commencez d'une voiture qui fait 300 cheval-vapeur au volant, vous perdez environ 50 par le train de trajet. Ainsi vous avez environ 245 àhttp://translation2.paralink.com/images/tts.gif 255 aux roues arrière.

Les matériels et les convertisseurhttp://translation2.paralink.com/images/tts.gifs n'ajoutent pas que le cheval-vapeur en tire juste le parti plus efficace.
Et, qui vous coûtera environ $2 Ko avec l'installation.

Un tuner d'éclat est environ $300 en incluant l'air des vendeurs différents c'est seulement bon pour environ 20-25 chevaux, mais fait la maniabilité beaucoup mieux. Le CAI'S seul ajoute quelques poneys pour environ $150 .

La longue soupape d'échttp://translation2.paralink.com/images/tts.gifhappement de tube coûtera près de 2 Ko avec l'installatiohttp://translation2.paralink.com/images/tts.gifn et vous reçoit environ 50 chevaux.

Ainsi pour environ $4500.00 vous avez une beaucoup meilleure voiture d'exécution avec seulement 300 chevaux aux roues arrière.

L'avantage d'un Compresseur, selon le type, le niveau d'augmentation et l'air est l'augmentation de 150 chevaux aux roues arrière sans d'autre mod's.

4-$-8K de prix
L'installation .7 $ à $1.2K
en bas le temps - plusieurs jours à 2 mois.
Les installateurs - Détroit, le Milieu de l'ouest à la Floride, non sûre du Canada

Je n'ai pas mentionné nitreux parce que ce n'est pas une option drivable quotidienne. Vous pouvez l'ajouter dans la conjonction avec d'autre mods, en incluant le fait de supercharger, mais se prêteriez aux applications courant ne conduisant pas tous les jours au magasin.

Rappelez-vous le proverbe, "Cheval-vapeur coûte de l'argent". De quoi s'agit-il exactement de votre voiture que vous voulez faire? Aller beaucoup plus vite, d'être plus rapide, de conduire et de faire mieux? Chacun de ces aspects mai besoin d'un ensemble différent de mod's. Nous avons même pas discuté de châssis et de roulement de tenir tous les mods ce nouveau gain.

D'autres peuvent aussi vous conseiller, considérer tous les points de vue avant que vous ouvrez le livre de chèque. Posez plus de questions comme votre base d'information se développe.

Égards,

DOOM
03-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Rich you must be really bored.

Pat
03-22-2009, 11:42 AM
He has such a way with words, I'm fanning myself right now. LOL

Vortex
03-22-2009, 12:16 PM
For the price of a few mods I recommend this instead:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/1044951055.html

Dobs
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Well after extensive search/reading on the forum. I will get a K&N filter kit with a SCT X3 and will consider exhaust modification in the future.

Suggestion of where i can get those parts is welcome.

Thanks to all

ctrlraven
03-23-2009, 08:34 AM
You would need all the bolt-ons plus some head work --- http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127408