PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

Donald
03-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know how to contact Facebook and have a page/profile removed? Google Alerts sent me a hit on a name I have it watch. Turns out the hit was the Facebook page for someone.

I know this person. He is the 83 year old owner of a large foreign company and very dignified. He does not use email. I am pretty sure he still does not have a cell phone. He does business the old fashioned way. In person or on landlines.

I am positive he did not create this page/profile.

offroadkarter
03-22-2009, 07:39 PM
i dont think you can just email the facebook staff and tell them to remove a profile...

PantherP71
03-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Flag it as inappropriate?

xopher
03-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Is there an accompanying picture or associated information indicating it is the person in question you are thinking of? Someone else with the same name?

Assuming it's an imposter, they would have to do something inappropriate (crime, violation of Terms of Service, etc.) to warrant freezing/deletion of the account. Check Facebook TOS to see if impersonation is actually a violation of TOS. Most social networking sites would have no qualms if you registered as a 2-year-old Irish Setter named Don Quixote. In this example: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080506.wlfacebook06/BNStory/PersonalTech/, there was no legal course until it was determined that the student's impersonation was somehow injurious to the teacher. If a supposed imposter set up the account and didn't do anything to tarnish their reputation, then it doesn't look like there is anything that can be done.

This could also be a case of a young person getting the 83-year-old set up on Facebook. It's significantly more professional than Myspace and can be set to private and group modes, something that modern professionals are taking advantage of.

Marauderjack
03-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Read this and you will find a link at the bottom to delete your account!!

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2009/02/didnt-you-know.html

I deleted mine yesterday!!:beer:

Donald
03-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Marauderjack,

Did you manage to delete an account that you did not set up?

offroadkarter
03-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Marauderjack,

A. Find a TOS Violation....

B. Get this person to contact the police...

C. Learn to hack online accounts, crack the password, log on and delete it yourself

Marauderjack
03-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Marauderjack,

Beats me.....I never use it anyway.....no pix or BS but that's just me!!:cool:

I never liked posting personal stuff on any site!!:shake: