PDA

View Full Version : ***EASY Jobs Gone BAD!***

mmssdriver
03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
This thread originated on the Impala ss forums.. I found the topic to be really funny.... and some of the storys you can really learn from.. Tell a story about a easy or somewhat easy job you planned on doing your self or with a buddy for example.. in what you thought would be 2 hours.. and then somehow turned into 2 days..2 weeks..2 months.. or you still havnt finished it cuz you completely eff'd it up... "Please feel free to share the truth. Those little details that, if others knew about, they would never ride in your car again.":cool: enjoy..

n00bkiller944
03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I was putting a new tensioner in my mother's 1998 Mercedes Benz ML, and ended up stripping out one of the bolt holes by over tightening it. :banghead: So currently it is holding on by one bolt and one that wont tighten down. One day i plan to get in there and Heli-Coil it, but for now I am just praying she doesnt call me telling me the tensioner gave out and threw the belt...

Ugh, now your making me think about having to fix it :(

justbob
03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I started my hood scoop project almost a year ago. It will only cost me about $200.00 to buy the used hood, paint, and materials. Probably two nights after work, three tops.

Reality: $1000.00 and change, $60.00 for hood, bought paint now twice at $250.00 a pop, Divilbis paint gun set $200, and a bigger compressor for another $300.00. Normally i do very good body work and paint. I don't know if it was too big and flat of a surface or all black that kicked my butt this time but i couldn't be more frustrated.

End result: 1. estimate at body shop A $1,100.00
2. estimate at body shop B - No thanks we don't want to touch it.
3. estimate at body shop c - Best guess ballpark $1200.00.

For now untill i can afford to have it fixed by a pro or a new hood alltogether it will work just fine for me.

Lesson learned, Bob.

Rocknthehawk
03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I'll give the short version....

I bought a truck 9/27/2007....

the motor blew a headgasket on the way home, hung a valve, and put a hole in piston #6

I drove the truck for the first time on 3/16/2009...and that was just down the street and back

mmssdriver
03-23-2009, 04:42 PM
haha keep em coming.. this thread gets good lol

Taemian
03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
How about my 5 day Trilogy install?

A dying horse, snow in the mountain pass roads in May, food poisoning and a blown alternator. Oh yeah, an incorrect kit part as well.

http://www.motorcitymarauders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6519&highlight=pancho

It was worth every minute, except the horse part. Meeting Duncan under these circumstances was crazy, and it was amazing to see what a stand up guy he was and is. :beer:

bob6364
03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
I just hope my Eaton swap doesn't end up in this thread

Mike Poore
03-24-2009, 09:13 AM
I won't even tell the story about how we were gonna save a fortune, heating the house with a wood stove.

Long story short......It all ended when the fire trucks came; but there's a lot more.. :rolleyes:

Drewstang
03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
My 91 Mustang Coupe project and my 1995 Mustang Cobra project. Niether of these two went as planned. I can't remember all the debocals from the 91, but I spent around $1000 having the heads rebuilt, new gaskets, changing headers, changing distributors, changing all kinds of stuff only to find my problem was a $7 rotor button inside the distributor. I touched that thing at least 15-20 times and never realized it was 1/2" too short and was causing a high RPM fall-off.

I'm about to put an IRS in my 89 Hatch project and I'm sure I'll have all sorts of fun with that.