PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler fitting help

Rocknthehawk
03-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I've exhausted myself looking for solutions to this problem, so i'm hoping someone may help here.

The situation:
I installed an explorer 4.0 radiator on my 2.9 Ranger...the radaitor is over twice as thick...it's an exhausted debate about weather this helps or hurts, cools more, or just provides more cooler coolant...but thats the not the problem. I needed a radiator, and this was only $30.

The problem:
The trans cooler line, the lower line on the drivers side of the radiator, hits the power steering pump. I can NOT find this standard ford fitting in a 90* anywhere....which is what i need. I have less than 1.5" between the back of the original fitting and the pump. I've tried bending the hardline myself, but I can not make such a tight bend and still flare the tubing. I have a 90* flare fitting from home depot that fits just fine...but it's the wrong flared end.

Does anyone know where I can find a 90* trans cooler radiator fitting? I don't care if it's hardline 90 with the fitting (provided it's not too long), a 90* with a male/female end, etc...I can make whatever end it has work, provided the radiator side is correct.

Thanks!!

Joe Walsh
03-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Can you cut off the radiator fitting and leave a stub that you can then use a 90 degree compression* fitting on? (*brass ferrule and nut fitting)?
You'll have to cut the transmission line also for the other side of the 90 degree compression fitting.

I cut the flared transmission lines on my Marauder and used compression fittings to install my Autometer temperature manifolds inline.
No leaks at all.

Rocknthehawk
03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Can you cut off the radiator fitting and leave a stub that you can then use a 90 degree compression* fitting on? (*brass ferrule and nut fitting)?
You'll have to cut the transmission line also for the other side of the 90 degree compression fitting.

I cut the flared transmission lines on my Marauder and used compression fittings to install my Autometer temperature manifolds inline.
No leaks at all.

Originally it was hardlined from the fitting then to rubber tubing...I don't know if i need the hardline or not, I assumed not.

Thanks for the input, but I'm a little confused. Cut off the fitting ON the radiator, or cut the fitting that I'm trying to replace down? I hadn't thought of it, but I could possibly cut the fitting thats on the radiator down some, and then use a regular length fitting and flare the hardline....the only problem I could see it screwing the threads on the radiatior part. I can't the female end off the radiator.

i forgot to add, the othe problem with using a regular fitting is the stock fitting has about a 1/4" space before the threads (on the flared end), so it can screw in and seal.

bob6364
03-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Have you looked in Fastenal everytime I go there I find things I didn't know they carried

FordNut
03-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Check for a Swagelok dealer. Their stuff is very expensive but it's the best.

Rocknthehawk
03-24-2009, 01:20 PM
I'll have to check the huge fastenal book I've got...there's a dealer in town.

I've seen the swagelok used for airlines...never thought of it for this application. I'll have to check it out

Thanks guys