PDA

View Full Version : What is Metallica's best album?

Motorhead350
03-31-2009, 10:16 PM
I have been listening to them on Sirius for a few days and I am starting to like them. I have heard them played at a few venues and my favorite songs seem to be on the album Kill Em All, I think I'll pick it up and maybe on vinyl if it's not too hard or pricy.

What do you think I should get first?

Keep in mind I am actually new to this band... I have known of them for a while, but I didn't start listening until very recently.

P.S. reminds me of a joke:

How many Metallica fans does it take to change a light bolb? None. They are all complaining on how good the old one was!

sd8683
03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
I would definately go with either Ride the lightning or And justice for all.....
IMO those are their absolute best albums!

252life
03-31-2009, 10:51 PM
I recommend two albums from when they were at their peak back in early 90's.
"The black album" and the Live album "Live ****: Binge & Purge"

a_d_a_m
03-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Ride the Lightning or And Justice For All.

Cougar_Marauder
04-01-2009, 12:05 AM
#1)The Black Album, close 2nd) And Justice for All... I also like Reload.. I think they are all pretty good except St. Anger and Garage Inc.

BAD MERC
04-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Even their first album "Kill 'em All" was amazing. As they got older they sold out. If you buy "St. Anger" you will vomit. I bought it and could barely make it to track three. It was like Chinese water torture. MY favorite is "Master Of Puppets" and they still had Cliff Burton on bass. He died in a tour bus crash in 1986 and they got Jason Newsted from Flotsam & Jetsam. If you like heavy then "Ride The Lightning" is the freakin' benchmark of ANY metal band. If you wanna see something that will BLOW YOUR MIND, go get the "S&M" 2 DVD set. It is Metallica with the San Francisco Orchestra and is the most powerful and emotional concert you could ever imagine with a breath-taking clarity to the tracks. Generally live recordings blow - this one broke the rules.

Jake Steel
04-01-2009, 02:37 AM
glad to hear you like metallica,they are one of my fav bands......u must own the black album,and justice for all ,kill em all,master of puppets,ride the lightning ,the box set has 2 cds an a dvd which kiks ass those r some of the ones i like the best...ive seen metallica 4 times once on dec 31st 1999at the pontiac silverdome in the great cityof detroit the lineup was sevendust,kid rock,ted nugent & metallica it was one of the best shows ive ever seen.......................... ....rock on

Blackened300a
04-01-2009, 03:26 AM
I own almost all Metallica albums including several bootlegs from back in the day. I have to go with Master of puppets as my favorite then Justice for all, ride the lightning, garage days revisited, kill em all, The black album, Live ***** binge and purge.

I own Load and Reload along with the new album but I was really disappointed. I didnt even bother picking up St Anger.

Dobs
04-01-2009, 04:19 AM
Ride the lightning

Hacklemerc
04-01-2009, 04:46 AM
+1!!! Ride the lightning shreds... Old Megadeth is good too. Dave Mustaine was still on drugs and playing like his soul was on fire.

Embassy
04-01-2009, 04:48 AM
"Master of Puppets" is their crowning achievement folled by "Kill'em All" and "Ride the Lightning". Those three albums set the standard for many of artists.

Anything from the "black album" forward is subpar compared to those albums before it.

If you can find it, watch "Cliff 'em All".

Mike
04-01-2009, 05:34 AM
"Master of Puppets" is their crowning achievement folled by "Kill'em All" and "Ride the Lightning". Those three albums set the standard for many of artists.

Anything from the "black album" forward is subpar compared to those albums before it.

^^^ +1 ^^^ :bows:

BODYMAN
04-01-2009, 05:38 AM
And justice for all and kill em all my favorites

SID210SA
04-01-2009, 05:43 AM
I love Metallica....I have a few of their album's.....I just picked up Guitar Hero Metallica that came out on Sunday.....it has some of their great hits on it as well as some I hadnt heard before....

BAD MERC
04-01-2009, 06:20 AM

I have a VHS version of it. It's called "The $19.98 Home Vid - Cliff 'em All!" Guess the title kinda set the price huh?

Blackened300a
04-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Garage days was the $5.98LP when it came out.

a_d_a_m
04-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Old Megadeth is good too. Dave Mustaine was still on drugs and playing like his soul was on fire. +1! Megadeth still tears it up on occasion but the early stuff was just unstoppable.

sd8683
04-01-2009, 07:12 AM
+1! Megadeth still tears it up on occasion but the early stuff was just unstoppable.

Big +1! In my darkest hour is probably one of their greatest songs in my opinion!

SID210SA
04-01-2009, 07:37 AM
:rock:Megadeath.....Symphony of Destruction!!

PantherP71
04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Ride the lightning.

Master of puppets.

Black album.

I like garage inc to.

1of327
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Ride the Lightning or And Justice For All.

+1
Megadeath's " Surronded by Idiots " is a personal fav... Now what about Pantera??

Go Mifuni
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
How many Metallica fans does it take to change a light bolb? None. They are all complaining on how good the old one was!

That would include me lol. I was wicked into them in the 80's, looooong before they sold ou.... um, I mean, got popular. :lol: I remember calling a local rock station back in the day, requesting a Metallica song and the DJ said "We don't have any of that $h!t in the building", and hung up. Now they kiss their a$$es.
Anyway, they lost me as a fan after they became what they were against.
IMHO, you can't go wrong with anything up to and including "And Justice for All".

Embassy
04-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Garage days was the $5.98LP when it came out.

I've got that cassette around here somewhere. :cool:

Eric91Z
04-01-2009, 11:10 AM
the original album covers for everything up to the Black Album were some of the coolest album covers of the time. Especially ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

GodOSpeed
04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
The Black Album. Great front to back.
One of my favorite songs is Stone Cold Crazy off of the Garage Days album.
I first heard it on the flip side of the Enter Sandman single.

Fourth Horseman
04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I used to listen to Metallica (and Megadeth) in my high school days before I moved on to heavier stuff. I've always felt that Ride the Lightning was their best album. I still listen to a track or two from it on occasion. Kill 'Em All and Master of Puppets were also very good. It all goes down hill after Puppets, though, IMO.

hot-rauder
04-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Master of Puppets, Black Album... those two show the most versitility.

I hate the new ablum. I own St. Anger, and I dont mind it. If you listen to the DVD that came with it, Lars has his snares turned ON instead of off like on the album. St. Anger does not represent Metallica... No guitar solos, no pounding drumming, no pulsing bass lines, but if it was another badn making the album, it would have sold.

I hat Rob Turillo though. Jason Newstead/Cliff Burton FTW!

sd8683
04-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I really like garage days too..... Their versions of "Tuesday's gone".... "Whiskey in the jar" and "Breadfan" are EPIC!!!!

hot-rauder
04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I really like garage days too..... Their versions of "Tuesday's gone".... "Whiskey in the jar" and "Breadfan" are EPIC!!!!

Did not like there cover of Tuesday's Gone..... Love the original too much.

FutureSoldier18
04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Yea "Master of Puppets" is the best.:beer:

justbob
04-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Note the generation gap? Now i must date myself.

1. Ride the lightning
2. Master of puppets
3. Kill 'em all

And justice for all was their turning point, ask anyone. Some may like justice, some might not get it. I for one never cared for it. Anything after that album is crap if it is heavy your seeking.

Now take the youger bunch that like the black albums, mostly because they were played every 10 minutes on the radio, i think its more of a brainwashing than a liking, yes this is definately Metallica, just not the same band that i grew up with.

+1 on Megadeth, Syphony of destruction.

a_d_a_m
04-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Stone Cold Crazy

I will always like the Queen version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9PJ2uxiUGc) better. Brian May's guitar tone, combined with being in a higher key, suits the song way better.

And for the record, I heard the Metallica version FIRST.