PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement

fastblackmerc
04-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Water and Wine

To my friends who enjoys a glass of wine.. . and those who don't.

As Ben Franklin said:
In wine there is wisdom
In beer there is freedom
In water there is bacteria

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than:

1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces.

In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor), because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember:
Water = Poop Wine = Health

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid,than to drink water and be full of ****.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information. I'm doing it as a public service.

3rdcoastmrauder
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
hahaha hell yea.

TiTo35
04-03-2009, 11:31 AM
I drink both to balance it all out...:D

Bluerauder
04-03-2009, 11:54 AM
In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than:

1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces.

In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.
Just sticking up for our municipal water sources here .....

Understand the point that you are trying to make. Beer and wine have origins in providing a safe drinking source from thousands of years ago. However, I don’t believe the numbers cited above whether it was intended as a joke or not.

365 liters per year and 2.2 pounds equates to about 1/10 ounce of E Coli in every liter of water. That’s about 2.83 grams per liter. Water Quality is measured in milligrams/liter (Mg/L) and in parts per million (PPM). So the figures are off by a factor of at least by a factor of 1,000 if they are even accurate at all Maybe they meant a Kilo over 1,000 years. Don't think I'll be drinking anything that long. Moreover, I am pretty sure that you would be able to “see” 2.8 grams of crap floating in your glass.

World Health Organization (WHO) standards for drinking water are none (No E. Coli) detectable in a 100 milliliter (mL) sample.

EPA Water Quality Standards are even more stringent than WHO with “zero” E.coli as the standard. This is why our water is treated and chlorinated.

duhtroll
04-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Besides, for true health, you NEED to be exposed to bacteria so your body can learn to fight them off. If you avoid them and take preventative measures all your life, your body will have no resistance to them and you will die, while I will just get a cold. :)

I say you should drink raw sewage at least once per week for this purpose.

guccijayda
04-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised because every now and then my tap water comes out like filter media from my fish tank :puke:. I'd rather buy nice bottled springwater by the bulk.

Bluerauder
04-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd rather buy nice bottled springwater by the bulk.
This ^^^ is a big misperception. Bottled water is not inherently safer than municipal water systems. Due to the handling of bottles, they are much more susceptible to picking up contaminants. It depends on the source, the bottling company, and the regulatory oversight. Read the studies -- I have. Most people think bottled water is safer, tastes better, etc. That ain't necessarily so. In fact, some bottled water is nothing more than municipal water from another city that is bottled and shipped to other places. You may be paying to drink New York tap water. :D

Water from your tap is about 3 cents per gallon fully treated, regulated heavily and perfectly safe. Bottled water sells for about a $1.00 to $1.25 per liter. Half of that price is packaging and handling. From an economic standpoint, the preference for bottled water makes no sense at all. JMHO.

MM03MOK
04-04-2009, 04:22 AM
We have well water and it's the best tasting water I've ever had. Water table is only down about 10 feet though the well goes down about 50 feet. Living on a sandbar surrounded by ocean, we won't be running out any time soon and the sand filters the water nicely. When my best friend comes to visit, she brings empty bottles to take it home with her!

mrjones
04-04-2009, 06:29 AM
It might not have been that way back in the day. EPA and WHO weren't around in Ben's day.