PDA

View Full Version : The day from hell....

Blackened300a
04-04-2009, 09:40 PM
The day started out nice and easy. I had a agenda today which was to go to the local part store and pick up some detailing products along with oil and a filter to do a oil change. I also figured today would be a good day to change the front seal which has been spraying a bit of oil on the front of my engine.
I get all my shopping done including my 7qts of royal purple and the new RP oil filter. I get to my shop and go ahead and remove my fan shroud, remove the crank bolt and pull the pulley off with my new puller. I popped the old seal out and replaced with a new one. So far so good.
Now the problems begin.
I cant find my installation bolt that came with my pulleys. I havent pulled the pulley off in over 3 years so I know its long gone. My only other option was to take the old bolt and a thinner washer which worked and I was able to reach the threads to suck the pulley on the crank. I gave it a few turns and it was pulling the pulley in fine with no problems until it bottomed out. At that point I just clicked the ratchet into reverse to pull the bolt back out and install the new bolt. I got a few easy turns then the bolt gets hard coming out and stops. Now panic sets in because I know what this means and its bad... Real bad.
I grab my air gun and I get a few more turns before the gun starts to bind and slow down then stop. The bolt is jammed in the crank and its in no way going to come out now. I spray it down and let it sit for a while then try again. I get a turn or two then it stops. This went on for 3 tries until the head of the bolt finally snapped off. Now Im royally screwed at this point and sick to my stomach.
Im lucky that almost all of my firends are mechanically inclined. I called one of my best friends who tells me that he can drill it out and extract it. I left it in his hands. He showed up with his tools and drill bits and positive thinking which went out the window for me the second that head snapped off. It took him 4 hours of drilling and prying but the bolt finally gave up the fight and came out in 2 pieces. I got very lucky that the threads in the crank werent hurt, but we ran a tap through anyway.
What should have been a simple 20 minute job became a all day ordeal which I dont want to ever want to go through again.
I think Im going to search out a ARP bolt and the hell with these TTY crap bolts. Im thinking that when I bottomed the bolt out, I may have mushroomed the bottom a little and binded when coming back out. Or I crushed a few threads and that bound it up. I just know that it wasnt crossthreaded. I also know that I should have sucked the pulley in a inch or two then used the new bolt with correct washer to pull it the rest of the way down.
This is the last time I plan on pulling this off, I dont even care if it leaks at this point.

My momento of the day from hell...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/DSCN1261.jpg

TAKEDOWN
04-04-2009, 09:48 PM
That's why I don't allow myself to do anything, LOL! I'm glad to hear everything worked out just fine.

J D
04-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Wow Paul, my face was 3 inches from the screen and my heart was racing as I read that. I'm so glad to hear that there wasn't any terminal damage. And not for nothing but I still have my install bolt from when we did my UDs, shoulda gave me a ring I would have been there in a heartbeat.

bigbillybbs
04-04-2009, 10:26 PM
eeekkk.................
sorry man.
but Remember she is worth it :D

Bluerauder
04-05-2009, 04:51 AM
I hate horror stories. Glad this one had a happy ending. You owe your buddy a beer :beer: .......... per day for the rest of his life. ;)

rayjay
04-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Glad to hear it came ok Paul. Doesn't sound like much fun. :(

MM2004
04-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Glad to hear this worked out for you.

:beer:

Mike.

Ms. Denmark
04-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Wow Paul, what a horrible ordeal! So glad it worked out.:burnout:

FordNut
04-05-2009, 05:58 AM
You got lucky on that one. Hope you put sealant on the new bolt/washer so it doesn't leak oil between the crank and pulley.

Krytin
04-05-2009, 06:08 AM
I'm glad you got it!

FastMerc
04-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Glad to hear it worked out I had a similar problem on a 68 Buick I had,but they were water pump bolts that broke in the block.Oh what fun that was...

jgc61sr2002
04-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Paul - Glad all is well.:D

Blackened300a
04-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Wow Paul, my face was 3 inches from the screen and my heart was racing as I read that. I'm so glad to hear that there wasn't any terminal damage. And not for nothing but I still have my install bolt from when we did my UDs, shoulda gave me a ring I would have been there in a heartbeat.

I thought of that and I said to my friends that thank God this didnt happen on someone elses car during the other 3 installs I did of UDP's.
It never fails, I hate working on my own car I just never have any luck.

Blackened300a
04-05-2009, 08:25 AM
You got lucky on that one. Hope you put sealant on the new bolt/washer so it doesn't leak oil between the crank and pulley.

Im sealing everything up! I didnt reinstall the pulley yet cause I couldnt find another seal for it. Monday I have my friend coming back to put the rest of the car back together.
I dont feel like touching it!

RR|Suki
04-05-2009, 12:31 PM
your crank bolt shouldn't be TTY btw... :eek:

Joe Walsh
04-05-2009, 12:40 PM
WHEW!!!

Glad to read that you got the bolt out of the crank snout.
I too would've freaked when the bolt bound up.....:eek:

That's a scary feeling when a big bolt jams like that....almost as bad as when you feel it 'go soft' and know that you are about to wring it off.

larryo340
04-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes that does make for a sucky afternoon, but as least it had a "happy ending" ;)

I had the opposite experience when I did my new balancer and crank seal recently, the balancer practicly slid on without adding any effort. I literally tapped it with the dead-blow and it slid most of the way on. I used the crankbolt to finish the job.

SC Cheesehead
04-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Man, I puckered up just reading this, Paul!

Glad to see you had a happy ending to your ordeal.

Black Dynamite
04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
made me sick to my stomach too just reading it.

glad it's fixed!