PDA

View Full Version : 92-96 bronco's

ImpalaSlayer
04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
im looking to replace the ranger with one of these. is there anything i should look for? what about engines? ive herd that the 5.0 in them is a real dog. any info you guys can give me would be great.

thanks, Dave

Eric91Z
04-08-2009, 08:34 AM
I think, for the most part, they are pretty decent vehicles. I had a '95 F-150 4x4, so similiar architecture. Couple of things I know about them:

- Yes, the 5.0 (302) is a dog in a vehicle that big, gas mileage is crappy, but it is reliable and parts are plentiful
- The 351 has marginally more power, but if I remember correctly had exhaust manifold issues
- Look at the 4x4 setup: mine had manual hubs which means I had to get out and lock them in anytime I wanted to run in 4x4, but at the same time any problems meant replacing hubs and not some of the expensive electrical stuff

Just some little things to think about. My '95 F150 was the first Ford I ever owned and was looking for Chevy and Dodges at the time. Ever since then I have pretty much owned Fords and will continue to do so. That truck was reliable and solid.

Oh, watch for rust inthe corner panels above the rear wheel wells. I am not sure if the Broncos had that problem, but I know the trucks did.

Egon Spengler
04-08-2009, 08:53 AM
My mom had a 92 with the 5.7 liter... the thing got up and went but you could watch the gas gauge go down! Every bronco of these years you see has the rot on the rear quarter panel on the lip. Ours also had the exhaust manifold issue. We had the manual locking hubs. The oil pans rust out badly (LOOK FOR THIS!). The rear roll down window was always breaking. Oil pans are not easy to remove either, because they go up and over the front axle. I loved the broco regardless of these problems! Tranny was strong! Definitely love the looks of those year broncos!

ImpalaSlayer
04-08-2009, 09:07 AM
thanks for the info. sounds like typical older vehical problems. im looking at one with 104k 5.8l., with an askin price of 3500. sounds pretty fair to me.

03Farmmarauder
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I am doing restoration on a 95 Ford bronco now and all i can say is watch out for rust. I wouldn't be doing it if it wasnt for my best friend because it is expensive new quarters and wheel arch and a tailgate on this bronco and it was expensive to do and alot of labor.

Got_1
04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
i love bronco's. any motor option is a good one. it just depends on what your looking for. the 4.9 is a poor mans diesel - will pull down a house but you wo'nt win any races with it. the 5.0 isn't too bad but the 351 is the best. i've heard of manifold problems as well but with all that room in the engine bay theirs no reason to have stock manifolds anyways. the rear window motors die on those and the rear door rotts from the inside out from water getting in past the cat wisker (belt seal). the front and rear fenders rott like any ford truck from '80-96.
but still...my favorite!!

imorb1994
04-08-2009, 01:14 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45699&highlight=bronco
Another thread on Bronco's ^^^

ImpalaSlayer
04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks guys. i think ill call the guy and see what he says.

Vortex
04-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Ive read the newer the better on Broncos. Ive always prefered the 78-79 models, they are unique.

96fleetwood
04-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I had a '95 Eddie Bauer back in the day. The 5.0 is a dog and the 5.8 drinks gas like there is no tomorrow. They rust very easily and the rear window never worked right no matter how many times I changed the motor/regulator. The interior is VERY primitive and the leather quality is horrible.

For the same money, check out the Tahoe & Yukons. I switched to a '96 Tahoe LT after the Bronco. I added a powerdyne supercharger, Pro Comp Lift, and some other goodies. It was a good truck and still ran perfect when I sold it with 150 K miles:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_0276.jpg

teamrope
04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I would check out http://fullsizebronco.com/

The rear window will not work properly if the latch bushings are worn. On mine I wasted good money on a new motor to find that out.

Tailgate is prone to rust, as is the lower rear quarter panel just behind the door.

Manual hubs are more trouble free, and if you can find one with the towing package (4 shocks on the front axle) that is always a plus.

Most of the guys that use them off road swap the TTB for a strait axle.

Rocknthehawk
04-09-2009, 10:23 PM
give me the ranger.

Motorhead350
04-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Sounds like the K5 Blazers had the same issue.

The rear window can be a pain and the rust will creep up on you on the rockers.

I've had mine in the family for 19 years and it's probably held together from parts from 20 other Blazers... no joke.

JimmyXR7
04-11-2009, 07:30 AM
I have a 1991 bronco XLT with the 351ci and trailer package. I believe '91 is the first year for the AOD trans on the 351ci which gives about 3 MPH better gas mileage on the freeway. The Overdrive engages at over 45 MPH. I have the manual locking hubs which gives 1-2 MPH better on the highway from what another Brono owner told me.

I wish I did not have the XLT as the air cond went out after I purchased it and it is the pre-93 freon. The non A/C models have better air flow if the A/C is not working. If you need A/C I would recommend a 1993 or newer Bronco or pay for an aftermarket unit.

I changed the trans fluid, differential oil, and brake fluid when I purchased it at 82K in Oct 1999 and the Bronco is still running fine at 120,000 miles, Apr 2009.

I was only using the Bronco in inclement weather and use my Marauder in good weather. The Bronco started to run rough and the suspension started to squeek. For the last few years, I run the Bronco every weekend and have not had significant problems. I did replace the rear window seal, the seal on the hood to firewall, and the coil/spark plug wires.

I would recommend you only buy the Bronco with the 351 as the 302 had to work harder during acceleration and may be close to a rebuild. PM me if you need any more details.

Jim

teamrope
04-11-2009, 06:45 PM
I wish I did not have the XLT as the air cond went out after I purchased it and it is the pre-93 freon. The non A/C models have better air flow if the A/C is not working. If you need A/C I would recommend a 1993 or newer Bronco or pay for an aftermarket unit.

Jim

They sell a recharge kit that will work on the older R12 systems that works. I used it on my 91 F250 and it will almost blow ice cubes out the vents. :)

illwood
04-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Ive read the newer the better on Broncos. Ive always prefered the 78-79 models, they are unique.

I agree that the '78-'79 Bronco's are the nicest looking (they are the first of the Full-Size Bronco's). Regardless, I do love all Broncos.

Like others have said, the tailgate and the areas above the rear wheel wells are problem spots too. One more body area of concern on the drip rail that is at the top of the cab towards the cap. It is a little U-channel that is so much more rigid than the rest of the area that just sheet-metal.

As for the locking hubs, the auto's can be replaced with manual hubs for around $40.

BTW, if you get it, try to find a soft top for it. I found this sweet Skyler top on Craigslist.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a88/illwood/bronco/Topless04.jpg
Yeah, that's another Bronco in front of it. It was my old truck and turned into a bit of a parts mule.