PDA

View Full Version : Trunk lid support.....

W4LTD
04-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Has anyone has "issues" with their trunk lid torsion bar/spring not being able to hold the lid up? :help:

Bluerauder
04-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Has anyone has "issues" with their trunk lid torsion bar/spring not being able to hold the lid up? :help:
Do you have a spoiler? Or a trunkliner or both? The extra weight may require some additional tension on the spring.

I have the deck lid liner without a spoiler and the spring is right at the balance point. Any extra weight on or under the trunklid will pull it down.

FordNut
04-13-2009, 02:23 PM
With the Roush spoiler (it's fiberglass and heavy) along with the liner, I had to set the springs at max tension. Same on mine and the wife's.

W4LTD
04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I have the factory spoiler, nothing else. How does one adjust the springs? Thanks.

RF Overlord
04-13-2009, 02:35 PM
The Blackbird with factory spoiler is just at the balance-point, too.

FordNut
04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Very carefully. I found that getting a 1/4" drive deep well socket that fits over the end of the spring is the best way for me to grip it. Then a long-handled 1/4" drive ratchet to use as leverage (an extension would be better but there's no room). Move the spring up to the next notch. Check both sides, see if they are evenly positioned first. If not, adjust the loosest one by one notch and test it. That way you can more evenly distribute the work between the two springs.

W4LTD
04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the info...

fastblackmerc
04-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Just be really really careful when adjusting the torsion springs. They are under a tremendous amount of pressure. Try adjusting with the lid almost closed (yes, get in the trunk), as this will relieve some of the pressure.

With the factory spoiler and lid liner my trunk will stay up but is doesn't "pop" open when you hit the release.

FordNut
04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Just be really really careful when adjusting the torsion springs. They are under a tremendous amount of pressure. Try adjusting with the lid almost closed (yes, get in the trunk), as this will relieve some of the pressure.

With the factory spoiler and lid liner my trunk will stay up but is doesn't "pop" open when you hit the release.

Actually this will make the tension higher.