PDA

View Full Version : Coolant smell

SID210SA
04-15-2009, 12:40 PM
There is a faint smell of coolant coming from dave's Marauder, but no signs of leaks anywhere...no puddle under the car, no leaks in the hoses, not leaking from water pump....I am stumped....any ideas guys??

Mike

fastblackmerc
04-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Heater core?

Bad radiator cap?

Pin hole leak?

Use a pressure tester to test cap and look for a leak. DO NOT pressurize any more than what the cap is rated for. Pull up the passenger side carpet to see if it's wet.

RR|Suki
04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
water pump gettin old and fluid comin out of the weep hole?

CBT
04-15-2009, 01:12 PM
If it's a small gasket leak, you won't find it when the car has been running for a while, it will pretty much vaporize from the heat but you will still catch a whiff of it. Check the car right at start up or when it is cooled off, look for wavy discoloration lines where it has been evaporating.
Sidenote: The heater core on my 'vette gave out 2 years back, no sooner had my 'bat senses' detected the sweet smell of coolant when steam fogged up the interior and anti-freeze filled my passenger floorboard. Good times when you are doing highway speeds and can't see.

justbob
04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
This was my case last year, no drips, but a suturated weep hole.

fastblackmerc
04-15-2009, 02:00 PM

This should show up if you pressure tested the system.... no?

RR|Suki
04-15-2009, 03:00 PM
This should show up if you pressure tested the system.... no?

I suppose it would depend on how bad the bearings/seal is :dunno:

SID210SA
04-16-2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks guys....I will pass the information along to dave

Mike

MarauderMark
04-16-2009, 07:14 AM
I've allways had that smell im used to it..:)
I think mine are from changing motors w/o changing the rubber or checking rear head cooling thingy.:shake: