PDA

View Full Version : Mustang guys, is my dads 2001 Cobra, 6k orig miles, appreciating in value yet?

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I know there have got to be quite a few guys on here who follow the resale value of the different era mustangs. My dad has a candy apple red 2001 Cobra that is garaged and covered and only driven to play golf and is valet parked by a valet he knows personally and takes care of the car. There is not one ding or scratch on this car and it has never had to be detailed even for swirl removal.

It has 6,000 miles on it and has never been smoked in. So that's 750 miles per year that it's been driven. It has never been out of state and has been driven 99% on parkways, so no truck rock chips in the front end. The car is in as close to showroom condition as you can find.

It's not for sale at all, I am just wondering if such an unbelievably pristine, 100% original version of this year Mustang Cobra, is appreciating in value yet, or if they are still sinking like the MM's and other newer cars are. The car is still wearing the original tires and has NO mods. The only thing not original about the car, are the gas in the tank, and the battery.

Just curious. I keep telling my dad I am going to get that car out of his hands one way or another......

I don't think I have any good pics (its always in the background of my pics taken at the house but nothing up close) of the car.

MERCMAN
04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Mike Poore can answer that question. Do a search for sunshine and take a gander at his Mustang!!

offroadkarter
04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
I doubt it, not enough to flip for a profit anyways

Take a look here, 93 to 01 Cobra for sale section on SVTP

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/cobras-buy-sell-244/

04-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Looks like it's worth a lot more than my MM is. But a lot less than he paid for it new. Oh well it will probably be 15 year to break even huh? Not a very good investement.

The 01 w/ the IRS is a very very nice driving car though, I have driven it

04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Here is a really old picture of it hiding in the garage w/ my other junk out front

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/shylin01/1972%20Thunderbird/All%20fixed%20up/asgood7.jpg

It almost looks sad that it never gets to come outside!

offroadkarter
04-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Angry car is angry, why me no see sun!

sd8683
04-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Here is a really old picture of it hiding in the garage w/ my other junk out front

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/shylin01/1972%20Thunderbird/All%20fixed%20up/asgood7.jpg

It almost looks sad that it never gets to come outside!

Haha that looks like the car from Uncle Buck

BODYMAN
04-20-2009, 03:21 PM
After the 03 supercharged that for 800.00 can run 11's came out the desire for a 01 fell sharply, & the market?:dunno:

Mike Poore
04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
A little story:

We put up a new '03 Canary yellow Feature Car. There were 667 of these, making it one of the rarest of the factory Mustangs. We have all documentation, stuff you'd never think of, to include the factory scheduling printouts and build sequences, as we watched and waited nearly three years for this car to be built after placing our order. The car has been published twice in Mustang Times and there was a big spread about it in Mustang Monthly three years ago. The car was on display at the inside special invitational at Carlisle, two years ago, and is considered to be, Nationally, the best example of the series of four Feature Cars, as well as MCA Concours 1st Gold award(s). It has just over 3,000 miles on it. There are photos, here, somewhere, if you'd care to take a look.

Why am I telling you all this? It's because a car with this rarity and pedigree still is not worth what we paid for it, and believe me, there have been offers, so we know it's value.

Your dad has a great car, which he loves, and my advice is to drive and enjoy it, lovingly, just as he has, for the last eight years. If it's still in the same condition and with low miles on it, by the time your grandchildren grow up, it may be worth a nice price, remembering that inflation will have eaten up every cent.....and more.

guspech750
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
i say drive it and enjoy it. it needs a little snot beaten out of it too!!!