PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle for 12 year old boy

Thomas C Potter
04-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Its been a while since I've bought a bike. What companies are out there with good bkies. I see Schwinn is still around. Reasonable price, I know you can spend $5K on a bike nowadays...crazy.

Blk Mamba
04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
12 year old kids grow out of bikes fast, and styles change, here is one place I don't buy the best, just good enough to last a year, then buy another, till the child reaches near full growth. BTW, I buy bikes for under privileged children each Christmas, no complaints.

Rocknthehawk
04-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Most likely he'll want a 20" BMX style bike. I worked as a bicycle assembler for a year while I was in high school.

It's tough to assume what type of riding he does and what bike would suit his needs. I'm sure he's on a 20" now, so maybe he's looking to get a "bigger kid" bike and go with a 24" or 26" bike with multiple gears.

If you want a decent bike that can take some abuse, Toys r us has some decent brands. Any schwinn will be a pretty decent bike. For 24" and 26", they have one around $125 that is a very very nice bike for the money. The gear system was very similar to a $700 specialized I rode. Usually you can tell the quality by taking it off the rack and picking it up, feeling the levers, etc. Does it have metal gear shifters/brake handles? are the pedals metal or plastic? do the rims LOOK cheap?

If he's serious about riding, it's best to visit a bike shop that can measure him and set him up for a nice bike. You're looking at spending at least $150+ there.

O's Fan Rich
04-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Most good shops have higher end used bikes that are real nice. Just like car's people upgrade.

Take a look see..... most kids around here go with the "mountain bikes" with the front and rear shocks. Then they can really beat on them!

I have a Schwinn High Plains, 21 speed but no shocks..... if I go off road, I'm still ok, but I'd love some suspension give!

Vortex
04-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I believe Schwinn is just the name of a Chinese bike now I read someplace. They bought the trademark. The real American Schwinn went bankrupt a long time ago.

LOWBUCKMM
04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
I say just buy a huffy mountain bike they are good cheap bikes. I know that cause I had one for 5 years and beat the crap out of it.

Rocknthehawk
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I believe Schwinn is just the name of a Chinese bike now I read someplace. They bought the trademark. The real American Schwinn went bankrupt a long time ago.

Schwinn was boughout by Pacific years ago. They are still a high quality bike, especially for the price.

offroadkarter
04-22-2009, 01:51 PM
If he wants a BMX bike, you cant go wrong with haro or DK.

Got_1
04-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Iron horse builds very nice mountain bikes. you can get them anywhere from 200 up to a grand or more. but since he's only 12 i wouldn't spend alot since he'll be grown out of it in a year.
CCM makes decent bikes as well.
i ride a Norco Wolverine Hardtail. not cheap but well worth it. front and rear disk brakes, easy fire shimano shifters and adjustable front shocks!!

RoyLPita
04-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I have had great luck with my Trek and Jamis bikes. They are available at many bike stores.

Aren Jay
04-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Glockafella
04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
+1 Mongoose