PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Intake Manifold

Tusc
04-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey guys - not a regular poster here, so Mods please feel free to move the post if necessary.

I have a 99 Crown Vic as a daily driver. The engine has a coolant leak which I cannot locate. It doesn't seep or leak at idle, it only sprays a bit under load. The location seems to be behind the alternator, which is mounted at 12 o'clock on the Vic - not sure if it's different for the Marauders.

It is NOT the thermostat / housing / gasket, any of the radiator hoses, or the water pump. In my head, this leaves a head gasket or a cracked manifold. This car has the plastic variety for the coolant crossover, so that may be it. But like I said, without a second set of eyes I haven't been able to spot the leak point. It does seem to spray "up" onto the alternator and covering the TB, then leak down from where it collects there and pool around the injector and plug locations to the side.

I'll dig in a bit more this week and locate the leak. With luck, it is only the manifold.

So my questions to you are:

A) if I need to replace the manifold and want to get an aftermarket unit, what year range of Mustang would be equivalent? Or would they NOT be equivalent? I presume bolt patterns are the same, but who knows about the TB or anything else. (A**hole at the local Ford dealer quoted me $700 for an intake manifold. I asked him how many people actually pay to be the 'bottom')

B) if it's the head gasket and I decide I don't feel like tearing down a 150k mile engine, where can I score the least expensive replacement longblock?

I'd dump the car, but I'm getting married in 5 weeks and have put my 'Viper Fund' into the ring, wedding and Vienna honeymoon. That, plus the car has brand new alternator, battery, water pump, starter, plugs, coils, rotors, pads, tires, front suspension and head unit. I'd feel dumb dumping it for another one where I'd just have to replace those parts again soon anyway. Thanks for the help!

Tusc
04-27-2009, 08:56 AM
According to Auto Parts Direct To You, I'd need a 96-98 GT intake to fit my 99 Vic.

96 97 98 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L Intake Manifold (http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Auto-Parts-Direct-To-You/Items/1380004-mustang-615-178-dorman?&caSKU=1380004-mustang-615-178-dorman&caTitle=96%2097%2098%20Ford%20 Mustang%2cMustang%20GT%204.6L% 20Intake%20Manifold)

I now see that they have a specific one for the Crown Vic. Is there any performance difference between factory Vic vs factory GT? LOL maybe 2hp at 5500rpm is my guess. LOL Can't fault me for trying to find a few more ponies if I have to cough up the cash anyway. ;)

fastblackmerc
04-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey guys - not a regular poster here, so Mods please feel free to move the post if necessary.

I have a 99 Crown Vic as a daily driver. The engine has a coolant leak which I cannot locate. It doesn't seep or leak at idle, it only sprays a bit under load. The location seems to be behind the alternator, which is mounted at 12 o'clock on the Vic - not sure if it's different for the Marauders.

It is NOT the thermostat / housing / gasket, any of the radiator hoses, or the water pump. In my head, this leaves a head gasket or a cracked manifold. This car has the plastic variety for the coolant crossover, so that may be it. But like I said, without a second set of eyes I haven't been able to spot the leak point. It does seem to spray "up" onto the alternator and covering the TB, then leak down from where it collects there and pool around the injector and plug locations to the side.

I'll dig in a bit more this week and locate the leak. With luck, it is only the manifold.

So my questions to you are:

A) if I need to replace the manifold and want to get an aftermarket unit, what year range of Mustang would be equivalent? Or would they NOT be equivalent? I presume bolt patterns are the same, but who knows about the TB or anything else. (A**hole at the local Ford dealer quoted me $700 for an intake manifold. I asked him how many people actually pay to be the 'bottom')

B) if it's the head gasket and I decide I don't feel like tearing down a 150k mile engine, where can I score the least expensive replacement longblock?

I'd dump the car, but I'm getting married in 5 weeks and have put my 'Viper Fund' into the ring, wedding and Vienna honeymoon. That, plus the car has brand new alternator, battery, water pump, starter, plugs, coils, rotors, pads, tires, front suspension and head unit. I'd feel dumb dumping it for another one where I'd just have to replace those parts again soon anyway. Thanks for the help!

Might want to post this over on CrownVic.net

kariamack
04-27-2009, 10:07 AM
its the intake manifold ....you need to replace the whole thing..half of the manifold is made if plastic ..so it cracks .the link is here ...

http://www.monsterautoparts.com/FORD/CROWN%20VIC/2001_2002_ford_crown_victoria_ intake_manifold.htm?utm_source =Yahoo&utm_medium=SSP&utm_campaign=BROI

hidperf
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah, and Ford won't cover it anymore as far as I know even though it's a known problem and they had a TSB on it. It happened to my mom Mustang. Easy swap though.

Tusc
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the input. Found one for $217 shipped. That won't break the bank if it turns out not to be the intake. As for CrownVic.net, well... I've never seen or heard of it before. And I figure the guys here are a lot more prone to have wrench experience playing with their toys and therefore a little more practical understanding of the issue. I've been on other boards before. It's better to get the right advice first, instead of someone who has never changed a spark plug telling you how to rebuild a transmission. Ya know? So thanks for co-piloting this one with me.

Blackened300a
04-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the input. Found one for $217 shipped. That won't break the bank if it turns out not to be the intake. As for CrownVic.net, well... I've never seen or heard of it before. And I figure the guys here are a lot more prone to have wrench experience playing with their toys and therefore a little more practical understanding of the issue. I've been on other boards before. It's better to get the right advice first, instead of someone who has never changed a spark plug telling you how to rebuild a transmission. Ya know? So thanks for co-piloting this one with me.

I just did the intake swap on my 99 crown vic just last month. I picked up the PI one brand new off ebay for $198 shipped. The gaskets were molded into the piece so it made life very easy to do the swap. It also came with a new thermostat and O ring. The thermostat housing was cracked on my manifold and I couldnt find the leak until it split in half on my way to work.
It took my around 3 hours start to finish so you shouldn't have any problems. I removed the wiper ams and cowl to make it that much easier.