PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu???

rayjay
04-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Isn't that when you bang in to work and go to the strip club?

Ms. Denmark
04-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Isn't that when you bang in to work and go to the strip club?Bada-Bing! LOL Just happen to be watching The Sopranos on netflix as we speak.:coolman:

rayjay
04-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Bada-Bing! LOL Just happen to be watching The Sopranos on netflix as we speak.:coolman:

Yep, watched the final episode on A&E last night.

Blackened300a
04-27-2009, 01:51 PM
That aint funny!! St Francies prep has been shut down and its within walking distance of my apt!

rayjay
04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
That aint funny!! St Francies prep has been shut down and its within walking distance of my apt!

Yea, 40 cases in a whole country of 300+ million people, one (01) hospitialization, and the news media outlets are pushing the panic button and scaring the bejesus out of folks... :shake: Which is exactly why I posted this.

Ms. Denmark
04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
You're right Paul. The possibility of a serious outbreak of illness, whether it happens in the near future or many years from now, is not to be taken lightly. There have been 3-4 milder flu pandemics since the devastating one of 1918. Some here have lived through one and may not have even known it.

There are concrete things we can all do. They are not high tech, but are effective in limiting the risk:

1. Wash your hands with soap under running water before eating, or touching your eyes nose or mouth. Or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer.

2. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or your sleeve) when you cough/sneeze.

3. Stay at home if you are sick!

rayjay
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Yes a flu pandemic is scary, but the EU banning our pork & beef products because of this? WTF, come on... get freaking serious, we have FOURTY CASES. Jeesh, we better ban all inports from south of the border its all contaminated and will kill us all. The reality is Mexico is a third world country and the flu is running rampant there, as it would in any third world country.

Ken
04-27-2009, 03:18 PM
That aint funny!! St Francies prep has been shut down and its within walking distance of my apt!FastMerc and I've got another case located about midway between us, about 10 minutes away.

Ken

Ms. Denmark
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
I agree with Ray, that some nations ie Russia, will take advantage of the present situation. Hopefully we can all keep things in perspective as it never pays to panic. The best defense against havoc is good, accurate information.

Bigdogjim
04-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Just remember it only takes one person to infect 100's.

Bluerauder
04-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Although this flu has been given the name "Swine Flu", I am of the understanding that it really has traits from swine flu, bird flu and varieties of human flu. If I was the cynical type :rolleyes:, I would suspect that this dayum thing was manufactured in a genetics lab somewhere ... possibly as a biologic weapon of sorts. Sure hope someone is checking on that angle. JMHO. Seems kinda "unnatural" to me. Another thing is the timing of the outbreak, this ain't really flu season is it??

Paula's suggestion about washing your hands and taking other "common sense" precautions will go a long way in stemming the spread of this flu outbreak.

W4LTD
04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Although this flu has been given the name "Swine Flu", I am of the understanding that it really has traits from swine flu, bird flu and varieties of human flu. If I was the cynical type :rolleyes:, I would suspect that this dayum thing was manufactured in a genetics lab somewhere ... possibly as a biologic weapon of sorts. Sure hope someone is checking on that angle. JMHO. Seems kinda "unnatural" to me. Another thing is the timing of the outbreak, this ain't really flu season is it??

Paula's suggestion about washing your hands and taking other "common sense" precautions will go a long way in stemming the spread of this flu outbreak.

We should have Mulder and Scully investigate this...

Cobra25
04-27-2009, 05:51 PM
You need to know the fact's before you print them. The Flu in not running rampant in Mexico. 90% of the case's less than 1600 are in boarder lined city's with the US . Their is a few case's reported in Mexico City. The rest of the Country is Flu free so far. MY Daughters Doctor who if the Chief Director of Medican for "The State of the Yucatan " & he is also a close family friend covers Citys LIke Merida and Cancun Just to name a few told my wife today they are watching it carefully but no case's have been reported as of yet anywhere else in the Country. People who panic create more problems than their really is. The News media over inflates alot of story's just to get your attention so their ratings go up. While this is not the first time this flu as been around it won't be the last. Another Countrys have had problems with different strains of Flu's in the past including the US.
Yes a flu pandemic is scary, but the EU banning our pork & beef products because of this? WTF, come on... get freaking serious, we have FOURTY CASES. Jeesh, we better ban all inports from south of the border its all contaminated and will kill us all. The reality is Mexico is a third world country and the flu is running rampant there, as it would in any third world country.

SC Cheesehead
04-27-2009, 05:52 PM
....If I was the cynical type :rolleyes:, I would suspect that this dayum thing was manufactured in a genetics lab somewhere ... possibly as a biologic weapon of sorts.

I was thinking the same thing, Charlie.

Shades of Jack Ryan!. :eek:

rayjay
04-27-2009, 05:59 PM

Interesting isn't it? Fox even had a piece about bio (disease based) weapons from the cold war, but they didn't take the leap and make any connections. Hmmm?

Cobra 25, thanks for clarifying that. Watching the news they make it sound like its reaching epidemic status there. Ken, there is a suspected case in a adjoining county to where I live.

Cobra25
04-27-2009, 06:13 PM
We just have to keep a careful eye on it for a while, The problem is that people travel from the US too Mexico and from Mexico too the US which spreads the Flu. The US Goverment is doing the right thing by keeping us imformed .
Interesting isn't it? Fox even had a piece about bio (disease based) weapons from the cold war, but they didn't take the leap and make any connections. Hmmm?

Cobra 25, thanks for clarifying that. Watching the news they make it sound like its reaching epidemic status there. Ken, there is a suspected case in a adjoining county to where I live.

Crown Vicman
04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
The government created that crap. How does a disease come from mexico and spread to california to new york to new zealand within a week? First the bird flu now the swine flu yeah right. What next the dog and cat flu This flu has traveled and done things no other flu ever has. The government believes the world is overpopulated so their killing off people. Watch out for a different new disease in a few months.

Bluerauder
04-27-2009, 06:29 PM
The government created that crap. How does a disease come from mexico and spread to california to new york to new zealand within a week? First the bird flu now the swine flu yeah right. What next the dog and cat flu This flu has traveled and done things no other flu ever has. The government believes the world is overpopulated so their killing off people. Watch out for a different new disease in a few months.

Ever heard of airplanes? :rolleyes: I heard that you can now get from California to New York in less than a day. Maybe 14 hours to New Zealand. :P Hope you are wearing your tinfoil hat -- that helps. ;)

Crown Vicman
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
ok ok Have you ever heard of FEMA? Well the government made them order over 500,000 plastic caskets for each state in the US. GEE I wonder why??? Can anyone say adolf hitler style burials. oh theres a chance we might be hit with some kind of biochemical weaponry right. The government thinks their so smart.

Cobra25
04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Maybe you should sleep in a air tight Bubble Bed like Micheal Jackson !

Crown Vicman
04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe you should sleep in a air tight Bubble Bed like Micheal Jackson !

I would if I knew for sure that it would be worth it.

Crown Vicman
04-27-2009, 07:01 PM
We just have to keep a careful eye on it for a while, The problem is that people travel from the US too Mexico and from Mexico too the US which spreads the Flu. The US Goverment is doing the right thing by keeping us imformed .

Sir the government is about to strip us of our liberties. The dollar is being intentionally killed off so we can live in a cashless society. People think things are going to get better but their actually going to get alot worse. In 2010 the economy will completely crash and Obama will make the Amero as the new form of currency it will be the end of America.

dpotter
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
GENEVA, Switzerland (CNN) -- The World Health Organization raised its pandemic alert to 5, its second-highest level Wednesday, indicating the outbreak of swine flu that originated in Mexico is nearing widespread human infection.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Dr. Margaret Chan, the U.N. agency's director-general, said the decision means that all countries should "immediately" activate pandemic preparedness plans.<o:p></o:p>
"This change to a higher phase of alert is a signal to governments, to ministries of health and other ministries, to the pharm industry and the business community that certain actions now should be taken with increased urgency and at an accelerated pace," Chan said.<o:p></o:p>
The announcement came as the number of people infected with swine flu increased rapidly across the world, and health officials scrambled to get more information about the virus -- which has no vaccine.<o:p></o:p>
"It's a virus that we've never seen before," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.<o:p></o:p>
"There's no background immunity in the population, and it is spreading from human to human, all of which has the potential for a pandemic."<o:p></o:p>
Germany and Austria on Wednesday became the latest European countries to report swine flu, while the number of cases increased in the United Kingdom and Spain. <o:p></o:p>
There are 132 confirmed cases in 11 countries, the majority in the United States, according to the WHO and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Those figures include seven deaths in Mexico (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Mexico) and one in the United States.<o:p></o:p>
The virus has been reported in 10 states, and the number of people infected with the 2009 H1N1 influenza strain grew to 91 in the U.S., the CDC said Wednesday. That number includes the first U.S. swine flu fatality: a 22-month-old child from Mexico who died of the illness Monday at a Houston, Texas, hospital. <o:p></o:p>
The toddler had traveled with his family to Brownsville, Texas, to visit relatives, and likely already was infected when he entered the United States, a Texas health official said Wednesday. The child was transferred to the Houston hospital when his condition worsened.<o:p></o:p>
A U.S. Marine in California is the military's first suspected case of swine flu, and three military family members in San Diego have confirmed cases, the Defense Department said. <o:p></o:p>
As a precaution, the military is banning travel to Mexico for nonessential personnel.<o:p></o:p>
Meanwhile, the Pentagon is planning for a task force that would help with transportation, logistics and distributing medical supplies in the event of a pandemic, a spokesman said. It would work alongside the CDC and local authorities if requested.<o:p></o:p>
The U.S. government is distributing 25 percent of its stockpile of antiviral medications Tamiflu and Relenza to all states, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Wednesday. Health officials stress that the medications are effective only if taken in the early stages of the infection.<o:p></o:p>
In the meantime, the government is working on developing a vaccine and hopes to have a pilot version ready for testing in a few months, Fauci said.<o:p></o:p>
Newly confirmed Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said, "We are committed to ensuring that these vaccines are safe. HHS and the [Food and Drug Administration] will monitor the manufacturing of a potential vaccine and will have strict oversight to ensure that the vaccine is safe and effective for use."<o:p></o:p>
President Obama called on schools with confirmed or possible swine flu cases to "consider temporarily closing so that we can be as safe as possible."<o:p></o:p>
At least 74 elementary, junior high and high schools have closed across the country due to confirmed or probable cases of swine flu, the Department of Education said Wednesday.<o:p></o:p>
Another 30 schools have closed as a precautionary measure, Department of Education spokesman Massie Ritsch said.<o:p></o:p>
In Mexico, where the global outbreak originated, health officials suspect the swine flu outbreak has caused at least 159 deaths and roughly 2,500 illnesses. So far, 26 cases, including the seven deaths, have been confirmed.<o:p></o:p>
Mexican officials also said they believe they may have found "patient zero" -- the first case of the global outbreak -- in the small mountain village of La Gloria.<o:p></o:p>
Edgar Hernandez, 5, survived the earliest documented case of swine flu. He lives near a pig farm, though experts have not established a connection between that and his illness.<o:p></o:p>
Edgar has managed to bounce back from his symptoms and playfully credits ice cream for helping him feel better.<o:p></o:p>
Researchers do not know how the virus is jumping relatively easily from person to person, or why it's affecting what should be society's healthiest demographic. Many of the victims who have died in Mexico have been young and otherwise healthy.<o:p></o:p>
The deadly outbreak has prompted authorities to order about 35,000 public venues in Mexico City to shut down or serve only takeout meals as health officials tried to contain spreading of the virus. <o:p></o:p>
Governments around the world are scrambling to prevent further outbreak.<o:p></o:p>
Some countries, such as China and Russia, have banned pork imports from the United States and Mexico, though the WHO said the disease is not transmitted through eating or preparing pig meat. Several other countries, such as Japan and Indonesia, are using thermographic devices to test the temperature of passengers arriving from Mexico.<o:p></o:p>
Egypt reportedly is considering culling all pigs although there have been no reported cases of swine flu there.<o:p></o:p>
Swine influenza, or flu, is a contagious respiratory disease that affects pigs.<o:p></o:p>
When the flu spreads person to person, instead of from animals to humans, it can continue to mutate, making it harder to treat or fight, because people have no natural immunity<o:p></o:p>
Symptoms include fever, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.<o:p></o:p>
Common seasonal flu kills 250,000 to 500,000 people every year worldwide, far more than the current outbreak of swine flu. But there is a vaccine for seasonal flu.<o:p></o:p>

Dr Caleb
04-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I love the way the networks are flogging it.

15,000 Canadians and 35,000 Americans die from the flu every year. That somehow doesn't make news though. Like we are stupid or something!

http://www.canadaka.net/forums/download/file.php?id=12662

BirchMarauder
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
PANIC ARTISTS!! Get TAMIFLU from your dr. and you'll be just fine.

Bluerauder
04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
I love the way the networks are flogging it.

15,000 Canadians and 35,000 Americans die from the flu every year. That somehow doesn't make news though. Like we are stupid or something!
Same thing with auto accidents. 50,000 die each year in car wrecks and we have safety standards, airbags, stability control, roll-over sensors, seatbelts, crumple zones and government regulation out the ying-yang.

However, 93,000 people die each year in US Hospitals from MRSA infections contracted while in the hospital and unrelated to the reason that they were in the hospital in the first place. Who is minding the store there? Seems sanitation and sanitary practices proven over 150 years have been tossed out the window. Tops on a list of 5 things to do to prevent such MRSA infections published by Johns Hopkins is "Wash Your Hands". Duh. Most interesting is that the Healthcare System in Michigan adopted the 5 simple steps in the Johns Hopkins report and have reduced their MRSA deaths by 100%. That's right ..... not a single one. Where is the regulatory body that is gonna step in and put hospital sanitary practice back where it should be. Didn't we learn this lesson back in the mid-1800's???? But not a word from the main stream media. Nope today it is all about Swine Flu. :rolleyes:

So, just remember the next time you get really sick ..... your chances are twice as good inside your MM than in the hospital. ;)

TiTo35
04-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Swine flu hit Baltimore...I dont know if I should scared or proud...:laugh:

BirchMarauder
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
yeah what he said, 36,000 people die every year from the regular flu. that isn't broadcast in the news with high alerts. WTF.

Cobra25
04-29-2009, 05:13 PM
I went to the Doctor for my 6 month exam today and He told me their is no TAMIFUL or any other medication in the State of Florida that will help if you get it. The Goverment pulled it from the states who have no out breaks and gave it to the ones who have the Flu. If you get it you would be instructed to go directly to the Hospital and get your nose swabbed , it will take 24 hrs to get the results.
PANIC ARTISTS!! Get TAMIFLU from your dr. and you'll be just fine.

Crown Vicman
04-29-2009, 05:56 PM
crap this sucks if it gets any bigger this we'll be the perfect motive for the government to bring in the martial law. they already started in mexico.

Dr Caleb
04-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I went to the Doctor for my 6 month exam today and He told me their is no TAMIFUL or any other medication in the State of Florida that will help if you get it.

I'm all stocked up with oinkment.

In related news, people in the US bought enough guns to restock the Chinese and Indian army in the last 3 months. Some times you guys scare the crap out of me.

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/04/22/usa-buys-enough-guns-in-3-months-to-outfit-the-entire-chinese-and-indian-army/

MrBluGruv
04-30-2009, 02:10 AM
Yeh, I actually live in Cibolo Tx, which is kind of one in the same with Schertz Tx, where this thing got "big" in Texas. I'm not worried at all being here, but there is mega panic. Did you know they shut down the ENTIRE district for this area (Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD) because of only 3 cases in one school? They even gone so far to close off public parks as well. This entire week this area has essentially been shut down in terms of public properties, and I think it's absurd. I know for a fact that at least one of these three students is already well on the way to recovery. I personally don't believe this strain of flu will be any more deadly than the other strains that typically appear in this country.

What I think people fail to keep in perspective is that after about 5 days of EXTREME scrutiny and everyone and their mother getting checked just in case, they were only able to confirm about, what was it now, between 40 and 50 cases nationwide? And on top of that, how many of these people do you think would even know that their particular flu was the "swine flu" strain if there hadn't been this mass hysteria about it on the news? For Christ's sake, they'd been parading around the news outlets that this flu had claimed its first victim in America as though they finally had their ammunition to drive this mass panic home, and guess what? It wasn't an American citizen, it was a Mexican national that came to America seeking treatment. If after all this you still think we're all doomed, I think you need to take a moment to reevaluate some things....

Now this I won't say as fact because I haven't had any confirmation on it yet, but I've heard murmors that the numbers of dead from Mexico are overinflated from reality, possibly ten-fold. I don't know whether to believe it or not, but if it's fact, again take a step back and try to see what's really going on here...

Haggis
04-30-2009, 03:56 AM
...In related news, people in the US bought enough guns to restock the Chinese and Indian army in the last 3 months. Some times you guys scare the crap out of me.

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/04/22/usa-buys-enough-guns-in-3-months-to-outfit-the-entire-chinese-and-indian-army/

I am happy to be one of those that contributed to your paranoia.

Wæs þú hál

MM03MOK
04-30-2009, 05:27 AM
Best thing we can do is keep informed.

Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu)
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm

Ms. Denmark
04-30-2009, 06:02 AM
Best thing we can do is keep informed.

Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu)
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm
1. AND WASH Your Hands

2. Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.

3. STAY AT HOME IF YOU ARE SICK

Not sexy, not complicated but effective in reducing the risk.

rayjay
04-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Well, they have officially gone off the deep end here too. The next county over has one case, a high school student in a smaller district. She travelled to Mexico on break. She became ill upon return and immediately stopped going to school. That was early last week. As soon as her case was confirmed they closed the entire district and are santizing every square inch of all their schools. That is happening in Onondaga County, home to Syracuse University and SUNY Upstate Medical School/Hospital. I would say the allegedly enlightened have hit the panic button.

:bs::bs: :help: :bs::bs:

MM03MOK
04-30-2009, 06:39 AM
1. AND WASH Your Hands

2. Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.

3. STAY AT HOME IF YOU ARE SICK

Not sexy, not complicated but effective in reducing the risk.

Cover your mouth/nose with your elbow/shirt sleeve and not your hands.

rayjay
04-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Cover your mouth/nose with your elbow/shirt sleeve and not your hands.

Better yet buy a plastic bubble and live in it until this latest armegedon threat passes.

Cobra25
04-30-2009, 07:53 AM
I was watching CNN news this morning and it seams that the Pig farm just north of Mexico City which they believe it all started is Owned & Operated by a US Company. They are testing the area at this time. It seams everyone at this time is blaming Mexico when it seams the blame should be on the US. I guess we have to see how everything pans out.

rayjay
04-30-2009, 08:29 AM
I was watching CNN news this morning and it seams that the Pig farm just north of Mexico City which they believe it all started is Owned & Operated by a US Company. They are testing the area at this time. It seams everyone at this time is blaming Mexico when it seams the blame should be on the US. I guess we have to see how everything pans out.

Problem with this theory is regardless of who owns that factory farm it is being operated under Mexican Law. Most likely because the environmental standards are greatly relaxed there. CNN is late to gate as this was on ABC's NightLine two days ago with a reporter actually on the ground. I really don't need to see CNN's report to know that it will support their nickname of the Communist News Network...

Dr Caleb
04-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Wæs þú hál

It's not paranoia. I don't think it is anyhow. I'm a gun owner too, but that is a metric a$$load of guns in a very short time. Add to that the media flogging the Mexican Jumping Swine Flu, low flying planes in Manhattan . . . and I have to wonder (with my out-loud fingers) if all those guns become a problem all their own.

(Beowulf?)

Haggis
04-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Wæs þú hál

I forgot the smilie.....;)

It's not paranoia. I don't think it is anyhow. I'm a gun owner too, but that is a metric a$$load of guns in a very short time. Add to that the media flogging the Mexican Jumping Swine Flu, low flying planes in Manhattan . . . and I have to wonder (with my out-loud fingers) if all those guns become a problem all their own.

(Beowulf?)

Wæs þú hál.

I thought you would have gotten that.

Roughly; 'Be you hale'.

Dr Caleb
04-30-2009, 09:43 AM
I forgot the smilie.....;)

Wæs þú hál.

I thought you would have gotten that.

Roughly; 'Be you hale'.

NP, with your posts, I always error on the side of humour. :)

Yea, I shoulda got that. I was thinking in Norwegian for some reason, not Gaelic. "Wæs þu, Hroðgar, hal!" Without Google, my Gaelic-fu is much weaker. hehehe.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled Aporkalypse.

mrjones
04-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm home with a kid sick with the flu. They tested her for swine flu and told me that it would be two days before they got the results back. My wife called today and they said it would be two "weeks" before we got results back. The dr gave us a prescription for Tamiflu for the four of us in the family. I had to go to 7 different pharmacies before getting the prescription filled, and finally had to call the dr back to get the dosage changed for the smallest childs dosage changed to match what the pharmacy had available. It's getting a little nervewracking. It doesn't help that we're in the Houston area where the Mexican kid died. My child is doing well, though. I'm having to stay off work and home with her, so I'll have plenty of time to post!!

Cobra25
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry to hear you child is sick. I hope all of you come out of this fine.
I'm home with a kid sick with the flu. They tested her for swine flu and told me that it would be two days before they got the results back. My wife called today and they said it would be two "weeks" before we got results back. The dr gave us a prescription for Tamiflu for the four of us in the family. I had to go to 7 different pharmacies before getting the prescription filled, and finally had to call the dr back to get the dosage changed for the smallest childs dosage changed to match what the pharmacy had available. It's getting a little nervewracking. It doesn't help that we're in the Houston area where the Mexican kid died. My child is doing well, though. I'm having to stay off work and home with her, so I'll have plenty of time to post!!

Egon Spengler
04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
oink oink pig pig, do away with the pork, the only silverware I need is a steak knife and a fork

Ludacris lyrics!

freakstatus
04-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Egypt ordered the slaughter of all their pigs....all of them. Wow.

rayjay
04-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Egypt ordered the slaughter of all their pigs....all of them. Wow.

Since when did they own any?

mrjones, hoping your child recovers quickly and fully. Thats BS about taking 2 weeks for an actual diagnosis. By then its run its course. Please keep us informed about how the Tamiflu works.