PDA

View Full Version : Got to drive a V-10 P70 today!

studio460
10-05-2003, 04:38 AM
I got to drive S.A. Motorsports' (SAM) 1999 V-10 P71 around a parking lot today. WOW! Was that FUN! This N/A 6.8-liter V-10 sure had torque-a-plenty! Just the slightest depression of the accelerator sent the tires spinning! Got some cool pictures of the car in the Panther gallery. The car sure was real pretty too with all of its cool cop stuff on it.

They put 17" black steel rims on the car, as you can see in some of the photos, and it's also lowered. I have one shot with my Marauder next to the P71 and I really like the stance of the lowered PI car. I liked the car so much, I asked them if they wouldn't mind if I mimicked some of the aesthetic treatments they chose with this '99 CVPI.

So I know I have to retain the rear-raised "rake" so that the car's geometry remains relatively the same as stock, but I sure would like to find out if it's possible to put smaller, 17" rims and lower-series tires on my Marauder to lower my CG. I guess I've always kinda thought my stock rims were a little too flashy for my taste. I think I'm gonna go with a set of stealth-black steel rims as soon as I find some that I really like (even though I LOVE the way Cruztaker's custom-finished rims came out).

I know y'all are gonna think 'Shooter's gone crazy with his new-found "PI conversion" obsession (at least, cosmetically) . . . but DAMN! That was one fun, pretty, stealthy, cool car.

[CORRECTION: 1999 P71]

CRUZTAKER
10-05-2003, 06:20 AM
No way man...you're not crazy. We all have our tastes, and so far everything you have done has turned out pretty damn good. I particularly like the female hood ornament.....that mod is definately on my list!

RF Overlord
10-05-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by NBC Shooter
[BI know y'all are gonna think 'Shooter's gone crazy with his new-found "PI conversion obsession" [/B]

Not at all...in fact, there's a web site that caters to nothing but CVPIs...it's called BON (http://warnerrobert.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=26) ...be sure to ask for the infamous SHERIFF...

studio460
10-05-2003, 06:28 AM
Well, thanks, Cruz . . . Coming from you, that's a pretty solid vote of confidence! This, coming from the guy (yup, you) who, I think, has diligently custom-styled THE absolute COOLEST-looking Marauder in existence!

studio460
10-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Oh yeah, right, RF . . . I'm sure SHERIFF'S gonna just LOVE my new cop car look . . .

RF Overlord
10-05-2003, 06:48 AM
:D

Bigdogjim
10-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Thats what it all about Shooter! Infinite diversity in infinite combinations (IDIC)

BillyGman
10-05-2003, 03:18 PM
I know that you've stated that there are 17" wheels on that car, but do you know the exact size of the tires, and what kind of tires they are? The tires look wider than the ones on the MM.

studio460
10-05-2003, 04:05 PM
Hey Gman:

I e-mailed SAM and asked them for the wheel/tire size info (I'd like to know myself). Actually, Gman, they're the same brand tires we have on our cars, the BFG G-Force radials. Oh, here it is: "Tire size is 255/50/17 BF Goodrich KDWS on 17x9.5 American Eagle rims. Same size all around." I just thought I'd post a picture here in the thread while I'm at it:

http://newsfile.tv/V10-0058a-600.jpg
SAM V-10 1999 P-71 w/Whelen LED lightbar

Ain't it cool?

BillyGman
10-05-2003, 04:19 PM
I thought they looked wider. Okay, thanks NBC. From that pic it almost looks like they took some similar rims to ours and blacked them out. I also have always liked the grill on the CV better than the one on our cars anyway.

studio460
10-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Here's a close-up of the tire:

http://newsfile.tv/V-10tire500.jpg
255/50/17 BF Goodrich KDWS on 17x9.5 American Eagle rim

BigMerc
10-05-2003, 04:25 PM
The "sheriff" on Blueovalnews.com is a real jerk, he abuses that board I was on that board ONE day and left, nothing more than his personal playground to start squabbles and act like he's a big man.
There is nothing of redeeming value on that board and he is registered here also as p74vic, just Logan would not allow that kind of behavior here.

and he's not a law enforcement officer either, just plays one on blue oval news.

BillyGman
10-05-2003, 04:28 PM
I think that I like the OE style wheels by Unique better. A pic of those is posted in one MMM2003's posts in the "Winter Tire & Wheel package" thread in the anouncements forum. I'm not sure if they come in 17" though. But to each his own my friend......

studio460
10-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Gman:

I've always liked the PI grille as well. But once I saw my Marauder next to the decked-out V-10 P71, I REALLY liked the PI grille MUCH better. I'm gonna order a PI grille from Ford Parts Network and switch it out. Yeah, I'm not too wild about the American Eagle rim shown above either. I gotta find some black wheels I REALLY like, and I tell ya, I've been looking and looking and looking! Then I'm gonna install a ProGard pushbar (they're really simple and cool-looking--not like the kinds you usually see). THEN the Whelen lightbar! Oh yeah, then, I'll finally put that "Police Interceptor" badge on the tail that I've had hiding in my desk drawer for six months.

TripleTransAm
10-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Deep dish wheels look so awesome, in my opinion.

BillyGman
10-05-2003, 04:33 PM
so you really want it to actually look like a cop car,eh? I guess I'm not as hardcore as you are when it comes to that cuz I wouldn't want the lightbar on top.
But about the grill, are you sure that they're interchangeable w/the grill on our cars? It looks like our headlights and grills are even shaped differently than the CV grills are. And that leads me to believe that you might have to change the entire nose. No?

BigMerc
10-05-2003, 04:41 PM
I don't think he's totally serious

studio460
10-05-2003, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure they fit right in there (I'm just assuming they fit).

BillyGman
10-05-2003, 04:49 PM
check into that BRO, cuz it looks to me like the cut-outs for the headlights as well as for the grill itself might very well be a different shape all together. I'm just going by a comparisant view in that pic you've put on here w/the car sitting next to yours. Check it out.......

RocketCouch
10-06-2003, 12:03 AM
NBC, they are right. I just remembered. The angle with the CV lights vs the MM lights are different, thus having a different grille opening. You can always test with mine to see how far off they are...

RCSignals
10-06-2003, 12:54 AM
He used to post here.
The guy who built that car that is.

RCSignals
10-06-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by BillyGman

But about the grill, are you sure that they're interchangeable w/the grill on our cars? It looks like our headlights and grills are even shaped differently than the CV grills are. And that leads me to believe that you might have to change the entire nose. No?

You are correct, the grille will not interchange.
IMO the Marauder front end is better looking anyway.
Not that the CV honeycomb grille doesn't look nice

RCSignals
10-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Oh yeah, right, RF . . . I'm sure SHERIFF'S gonna just LOVE my new cop car look . . .

too late. RF is Sheriff.

He just wants to lure you to his lair :)

SergntMac
10-06-2003, 07:09 AM
This, coming from the guy who, I think, has diligently custom-styled THE absolute COOLEST-looking Marauder in existence!

Ditto this...That's why Barry took the "visual impact" award home from Marauderville.

amerikan
10-06-2003, 09:42 AM
I like the look, i wonder what the ET is on the v-10 p71? any specs?

01 Interceptor
10-07-2003, 12:10 AM
What I want to know is if the MM front bumper cover will work on the front of a CV? I would like to one day switch it over from the pushbars(also less 50lbs) on the front end, but add some driving lights, then follow it up with 18" chrome Cobra R rims, and lower it a little. They look like they have the same dimple(?) on the top by the grille, but I cannot be sure unless I measure them side by side. I have been told the mounts are different. Anybody who can find this info out, I would appreciate it.

RCSignals
10-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by amerikan
I like the look, i wonder what the ET is on the v-10 p71? any specs?

http://www.sparlings.com/gasline/crown.html

Scott Alder of Scott Alder Motorsports (Redondo Beach, Calif.) is on a mission to market his propane-powered Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor to police forces and taxicab companies. He readily takes the 6.8-litre, V-10 Crown Vic to car shows and tracks and in July, the car was featured in Car and Driver magazine.

Tested by the magazine's technical staff, the Interceptor turned in a 0-to-60 mph time of 6.6 seconds, and a quarter-mile pass of 15.2 seconds at 92 mph. That easily outperformed the gasoline-powered 4.6 litred police Crown Vic the magazine had previously reviewed. That car turned in times of 0-to-60 in 8.4 seconds and 16.5 seconds at 84 mph in the quarter-mile.

Doesn't sound any better than a stock Marauder from that

amerikan
10-07-2003, 02:12 PM
hrmm. 15.2? i guess its because its not powered by gasoline. Thanks for the reply RCsignals

troopcar
10-10-2003, 07:56 AM
And did y'all see the photo and paragraph on the "Triton V-10-powered Panther Super Pursuit 415 Ford Crown Victoria" published in November's Hot Rod? It's got SAM's phone number, mentions SAM's Small Volume Manufacturer status, and says "the first year of production will focus on police cars, civilian versions are scheduled to follow."

OK, so a person can dream . . .

:cool: