PDA

View Full Version : Icehole Troubles

Bluerauder
04-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I have a MayTag side-by-side refrigerator that is about 5 years old. The left side door dispenses ice (cubed or crushed) or water. Last night, the wife tried to get some ice and it (the refrigerator -- not the wife) let out a god awful grinding sound. Very loud.

It seems that the little diverter flap up in the Ice Hole has broken. There are two little plastic nubs/guides on each side that the flap rides up (to close it) for water and down (to open it) for ice. One of the nubs broke off and the flap was stuck in the down position.

Dayum plastic crap. Nothing seems to be made to last anymore. Sounds similar to the plastic gears in the adjustable MM pedals. And guess what ..... you just can't replace the little flapper thingy. That's right -- gotta replace the entire assembly. Betcha that's gonna be pricey. Might end up being cheaper to buy a new Fridge. :rolleyes:

So ya'll be careful with your Ice Holes. They are very delicate contraptions.

TiTo35
04-29-2009, 04:20 PM
I still use ice trays...if they break...go to the dollar store. :banana:

Bluerauder
04-29-2009, 04:28 PM
I still use ice trays...if they break...go to the dollar store. :banana:
Reminds me of a story ..... my daughter teaches 3rd grade and she was trying to explain a point to the class and used the example of an "ice tray". They all looked at her with puzzled expressions. Seems that the kids didn't even know what an ice tray was ...... that's old technoloy. But I agree .... it works.

Joe Walsh
04-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Farging Ice Holes!!!

BTW: I HATE when your nub breaks off!

TiTo35
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
WOW...kids dont know what ice trays are?

Bluerauder
04-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Farging Ice Holes!!!

BTW: I HATE when your nub breaks off!

Don't think we have to worry about that for a while yet. Will have to remember to ask Mike if there are any "warning signs" to look for. :rofl:

UncleLar
04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
WOW...kids dont know what ice trays are?
Heck,lotsa people don't even know about the old aluminum ones with the handles you pulled back on to break the cubes loose,they only know about the plastic jobs.

O's Fan Rich
04-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Did you say ICEHOLES?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8tVxk6Nj4&feature=related

Bluerauder
04-29-2009, 05:54 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

Did you say ICEHOLES?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8tVxk6Nj4&feature=related

That's funny chit. You owe me a new keyboard Rich. :rofl:

justbob
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks Rich, I needed that!

Charlie, it seems you have the exact fridge I have, and mine is getting soaked underneath. Problem is I can't find out where!!!! Everytime I clean up the mess, it doesn't leak at all untill I turn my back. I really don't think its the kids doing it?

BurpyTurtle
04-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Check your home warranty if you have one. Some of them cover refrigerators.

Ken
04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks Rich, I needed that!

Charlie, it seems you have the exact fridge I have, and mine is getting soaked underneath. Problem is I can't find out where!!!! Everytime I clean up the mess, it doesn't leak at all untill I turn my back. I really don't think its the kids doing it?Bob, I also have the same fridge. Check the upper back where the water goes through the back to the icemaker. Turn off icemaker, disconnect water line from bigger white hose. Pull out the white hose. You will probably find ice in that hose blocking the water filling the icemaker, causing the water to spew out or possibly dislodge the water line. Let it melt a little, the rest will then fall out. Put it back together. Problem solved for now, until the next ice dam. Doesn't happen often but often enough to cause water damage.

I ended up drilling a hole through the floor and allowing the water to drain into a bucket hanging from the basement ceiling. Also found a small water alarm that rings when wet. Trying to keep from ruining my new laminate flooring.

Ken

Spectragod
04-30-2009, 08:50 AM
You must have one of the notorius ICE20's, you haven't lived until the controller that control's the flapper dorr craps out.... at midnight, and it ges into and open/close cycle, Maytag says to replace the control board.... $180, I did, but I also fixed my old one, to bad caps on the board, cost $3 to fix, and about 10 minutes.

If you replace your assembly, keep the old one, so you can rob other prone to fail parts off of it later, I will never buy another Maytag POS product again, I should have learned after buying and giving away my Maytag Neptune washer/dryer, another pile of poop.....................:mad2 :