PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a dodge today?

Baaad GN
05-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey guys my sister just got her car wrecked the other day and it's gone, a 2002 Durango. She loved that car and is thinking of buying a new 2008 Durango. Yep 2008 not a 2009, so I guess ya could say it's actually 2 years old but new, never titled. Another option is I could pick up a 2006-07 Lincoln nav for her but would be used for same money.
My concern is what's gonna happen at Chrysler? Any idea's or comments?
What do you think of the Durango's? This one has the Hemi!

Black_Noise
05-02-2009, 08:42 PM
yes, I would love a new RAM.... as long at its either a white, or silver Sport edition 4x4 quad cab.

Or a Ram R/T, but I have yet to see one in person yet.

I dont like the looks of the 2nd gen durangos.

mrjones
05-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I got an email from Royal Gate Dodge in St Louis the other. It's where I bought my 05 Durango. The email had an embedded clip from Obama saying "don't worry, the government will guarantee the warantee on your new Dodge".

This is so frickin' scary.

I would buy another Dodge today. I've been very happy with our 05 Durango, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. It's got twice as many miles on it as my MM, and it's a much tighter, more solid, better built car than the Marauder. I hear they're making some good deals on the Dodges now. I'm considering trading the Durango for a new Dodge PU right now.

knine
05-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't care for the new style, look around, she may find the older generation. My 98 has 181K+ miles on it, still running strong.

Aren Jay
05-02-2009, 09:41 PM

TAKEDOWN
05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
JEEP SRT:burnout:

SC Cheesehead
05-03-2009, 04:36 AM
The one and only Dodge I owned was a real POS, so in answer to the question.

I wouldn't buy a Dodge today, I wouldn't buy a Dodge tomorrow. See where this is going?...;)

Mike Poore
05-03-2009, 05:03 AM
Hey guys my sister just got her car wrecked the other day and it's gone, a 2002 Durango. She loved that car and is thinking of buying a new 2008 Durango. Yep 2008 not a 2009, so I guess ya could say it's actually 2 years old but new, never titled. Another option is I could pick up a 2006-07 Lincoln nav for her but would be used for same money.
My concern is what's gonna happen at Chrysler? Any idea's or comments?
What do you think of the Durango's? This one has the Hemi!

We picked up an '08 Navigator with every option for 44K, that was ~18K off list. In large metro areas like Chicago there may be some of 'em left in inventory, and it's hard to fault the vehicle in any way. I don't think there's much to compare between the Durango and the Navigator; although it seems the Durango that was wrecked passed the crash worthiness test, and I assure you so will the Navigator.

A side note, we bought it for me, to replace the '02 Red F-150, even transferred the tags. Barb said she needed the Navigator and just took it, making me re-register the truck and get new tags for it.

Seems the Navigator is much too nice a vehicle for someone like me. :o

W4LTD
05-03-2009, 05:04 AM
The one and only Dodge I owned was a real POS, so in answer to the question.

I wouldn't buy a Dodge today, I wouldn't buy a Dodge tomorrow. See where this is going?...;)

I had owned a 1987 Cherokee (which was a great off-roader) and then purchased a 1997 Grand Cherokee. On my way home from work, turning a corner, I slid on some wet sand into a curb at about 15mph -- the results? Damaged rim, knocked out the oil pump, twisted the entire front-end. Damn uni-body construction! $4,800. later and I sold it at a severe loss with only 18k miles. :mad2:

Marauderjack
05-03-2009, 05:14 AM
I have a 2004 Ram 1500 PU with the Hemi and I would buy another based on the service I have gotten out of this one!!:beer:

Plenty of power.....20 MPG on the highway.....rides very nice!!:bows:

If I had the $$$'s I'd buy a new one with the great discounts they currently offer!!;)

hot-rauder
05-03-2009, 05:23 AM
My mother has an 02 Durango, with just over 30k on it now. lol Bought it brand new.

As for new Durangos, not a fan of the styling, however, I have heard good things. The ebst advice I can tell you is go drive one. If it feels solid and tight, like you want Im guessing, buy it! Too many people own Dodges to have the company, God forbid it goes under, not honor any warranty. Just make sure that with the left over 08 you can still get the same Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

btw, My boss just picked up an 09 Grand Caravan. I had to make a delivery in it one day, and the thing felt solid. I could only imagine what the trucks are like.

Good Luck!

Bluerauder
05-03-2009, 05:43 AM
It has been a long time since anything in the Dodge line-up has grabbed my interest. Had a '74 Dodge Charger SE for 11 years (wish I had that one for car shows now) and an '84 Dodge B150 van for 10 years while the family was growing. Very good service out of both of them. But, I've been driving Fords ever since.

The only thing in the Dodge line that I'd consider is the new Challenger. Maybe because of the retro look that it has. I like the styling and the interior. The dealer mark-up that some dealers in this area have tacked on is a put off for me. One of these days, I'll take a test drive but initial impressions after just sitting in one was that I was too low in the seat and visibility was restricted to the rear and the blind spot is huge. The owner said it handled like the Queen Mary and didn't feel as "nimble" as his MM.

If I was in the market for a truck or SUV, I'd look at Fords. JMHO.

Chrysler's merger with Fiat means one thing .... smaller cars. There will be a big push for fuel efficiency. Bye Bye Challenger, Charger, Magnum, and 300C. Bye Bye S.R.T. I find this to be rather curious since the top fuel efficiency vehicles from Chrysler Corp (Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Caliber, and one other) are not selling well.

Remember --- If your Fiat/Dodge ain't running .... it ain't burning ANY gas at all. ;)

MarauderVOL
05-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I have a Dodge Ram P/U and love it. I did try 2 buy a new Challenger on Thur. and the Dealer wouldn't budge off of the sticker. With sales down 48% at Chrysler I guess that wasn't motivation to move it off of their lot.

rayjay
05-03-2009, 09:24 AM
The two Chrysler dealers in my county have maybe 10 new cars on the lot between them. Not a good sign, but I assume the goverment will save them, again...

Baaad GN
05-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys for the answers, I myself have never been a fan for chryslers but my sister loved her car and it only had 30,000 miles for an 02. My son Brad has had a ram now for 10 years and knock on wood no problems so will see what dealer will do.

n00bkiller944
05-03-2009, 11:56 AM
I would buy a Ram but probably not the new durango... just my 2 cents

Aren Jay
05-03-2009, 09:24 PM

Vortex
05-04-2009, 06:32 AM
My 05 Ram pickup is the best vehicle Ive ever owned. Looks great, rides great, has plenty of power and has been almost no trouble. Never owned a Dodge anything before but Id buy another one and would recommend them. In fact two of my buddies who liked my truck both bought Dodge Rams. Id love to own a Challenger R/T too, maybe next year if and when they make a purple (Plum Crazy) one.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
05-04-2009, 06:54 AM
The Challenger is the best looking car on the road today for me, so yeah I would totally buy one

rayjay
05-04-2009, 07:36 AM
The Challenger is the best looking car on the road today for me, so yeah I would totally buy one

I have to agree. I love the old school look especially in orange. I just don't want to get into a loan this close to retirement for a toy. I doubt it would be much good in the snow around here so no DD use.Thats the main reason I've never bought a Mustang.

vkirkend
05-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I own a Dodge Ram SRT-10 and if I had the opportunity to do it over again I would purchase a Ford product. I have had issues with getting warranty service for problems and am now suing Chrysler to get them to honor their warranty. Oh, by the way, since Chrysler has filed for bankrupcy my lawsuit has been put on hold indefinitely.....:argue:

Bluerauder
05-04-2009, 12:35 PM
I own a Dodge Ram SRT-10 and if I had the opportunity to do it over again I would purchase a Ford product. I have had issues with getting warranty service for problems and am now suing Chrysler to get them to honor their warranty. Oh, by the way, since Chrysler has filed for bankrupcy my lawsuit has been put on hold indefinitely.....:argue:
Sorry to hear this VKirk -- you shouldn't have to fight over warranty work .... sure hope they don't offer you a coupon on 2 Fiats after the merger deal is settled. ;)

oldekid
05-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I think I could still enjoy driving around in a Viper. That's about the only Dodge that interested me, even before the economic downturn.

ctrlraven
05-04-2009, 12:42 PM
During my travels to my P/T job I have to take the 895 tunnel, before the tunnel on the left is the shipping lot for Dodge, I saw the same yellow 2009 Dodge Ram sitting in the same spot for 3 months, it just recently moved. Good 400-500 Dodge/Jeep vehicles just sitting there.

O's Fan Rich
05-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Yes..... but.... it would not be my first choice.

Joe Walsh
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
My concern is what's gonna happen at Chrysler? Any idea's or comments? What do you think of the Durango's? This one has the Hemi!

If I had extra cash, I would buy a new Challenger because I LOVE the styling.

My only concern is any recalls/warranty work.

If you think getting warranty work done was difficult before....imagine dealing with FIAT....or even worse....the U.S. Government!....:eek:

Baaad GN
05-04-2009, 01:21 PM
VKirkend it make's no difference re MFG re warranty, my Son's MM With 30,000 miles lost the rod and main bearings, car not beat on, oil changed every 4-5,000 miles. car went in last week and have not told us if they will cover. Son supposed to get rental car but not until they decide!!!!!!!!!!!! so he went out and rented a car.
Demanding oil change receipts which we provided. If they do not want to cover my close freind will file suit against Ford! So seeeeeeeeee makes no difference they all horse******

O's Fan Rich
05-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I
If you think getting warranty work done was difficult before....imagine dealing with FIAT....:

Exascuzzza.... what issz this.. "Heeeemmmeee" that you speak of?

Tella u what.... I maka you an offer a here..... shadddapa u face.

Joe Walsh
05-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Exascuzzza.... what issz this.. "Heeeemmmeee" that you speak of?

Tella u what.... I maka you an offer a here..... shadddapa u face.

LOL!

Wha-sa-matta!....You no like?

Youz a-gonna hafta talka-to Luigi....He-sa take care of youz.

LIGHTNIN1
05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah,can you imagine having to deal with the dealerships after the government mandates come down? You'll probably have to go through the new car czar to get warranty work.

BurpyTurtle
05-04-2009, 11:02 PM
A new 2008 Durango at a steep discount might not be that bad a choice. Does it have the 4.7 engine? It's basically a mini-hemi and the only problems I've had with mine (in a 4x4 Dakota) are the bolts holding the exhaust onto the engine had a tendency to shear. 106,000 miles and all it's ever had done (besides the bolts) was fluids, filters, and plugs changed, and still gets combined 18 mi/gallon.

Check to see when the warranty expires.

rayjay
05-05-2009, 09:13 AM
and still gets combined 18 mi/gallon.

Wow, we have Jeep at our station with that engine that gets 7 mpg...

Baaad GN
05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Sister wanted that car so bother in law drive her to dealership (75th and western) to buy it yesterday, called them at 4PM to see if car still there, they said yes! They arrived at 4:46PM and was told car "JUST" sold but they had others! Imagine That! Needless to say they both just walked straight out! Sales Rep not happy!

O's Fan Rich
05-06-2009, 04:23 AM
Sister wanted that car so bother in law drive her to dealership (75th and western) to buy it yesterday, called them at 4PM to see if car still there, they said yes! They arrived at 4:46PM and was told car "JUST" sold but they had others! Imagine That! Needless to say they both just walked straight out! Sales Rep not happy!

I hate that crap.......:mad: