PDA

View Full Version : Porsche & Volkswagen announce merger plan

ctrlraven
05-07-2009, 05:39 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/germanyautomergercompanyporsch evolkswagen4th

Dr Caleb
05-07-2009, 08:42 AM
I must have missed a memo. I thought Porsche, Audi and VW were still the same company.

FrankJAG
05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I thought they were as well. I guess we both didn't get that darn memo! LOL

Joe Walsh
05-07-2009, 10:40 AM
So now they will have very expensive, stupid commercials.

Maybe they can name a car so that it doesn't sound like a foreign vegetable.

Routan
Tiguan
Tourag
WTF?

FrankJAG
05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
so now they will have very expensive, stupid commercials.

maybe they can name a car so that it doesn't sound like a foreign vegetable.

Routan
tiguan
tourag
wtf?
roflmao!!! :D

Aren Jay
05-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Richy04
05-08-2009, 05:27 AM
The first official VW was designed by Ferdinand Porsche. The company was under his control until he was imprisoned in France. Then the British (after the fall of Germany) ended up with the factory in their sector. It was revived (Porsche had buried all of the tooling before the factory was destroyed) The machines that made the roof were buried in Russian territory but a deal was struck with them to get the stuff back.

The British got the company on its feet, the first two showcased in the US were sold by Ben Pon to pay his hotel bill, those two cars launched VW the following year. NY had the biggest dealership. Max Hoffman put VW on the map and the company relied heavily on Porsche to make the tooling and alloys used in the later cars.

VW, Audi and Porsche share technology and metallurgy and have been for many years.

rumble
05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
VW and Porsche partnered in distribution and logistics in the US until
about 20-25 years ago. Back then a VW dealer could order and sell Porsche
parts.

quota
05-08-2009, 01:21 PM
They are connected from the beginning and Porsche took recently a majority stake in the capital of VW. The merging is motivated by Balance Sheet reasons.
That is the kind of Group that will survive the crisis without too many damages. Nice products, clever management.

JP

magindat
05-08-2009, 01:51 PM
So can I get a bug with a flat six twin turbo now?

offroadkarter
05-08-2009, 02:13 PM
So now they will have very expensive, stupid commercials.

Maybe they can name a car so that it doesn't sound like a foreign vegetable.

Routan
Tiguan
Tourag
WTF?

Dont forget Eos :D

4rgone
05-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Also have to say that I thought they were the same company. I mean a Porche looks like a squished bug already... Learn something new everyday, wonder what I'll learn tomorrow.

FormulaMarauder
05-09-2009, 10:25 PM
The Cayenne is a Toureag. They have always been distant "one in the same," they are just making it more official.