PDA

View Full Version : A trip to the body shop!

Bigdogjim
10-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Hello All: This morning (10/6) I took my Marauder to the body shop. It is going to set wet sanded and have the clearcoat re-shot. Those of you who saw the car in Marauderville know what I am talking about.

Dealer is doing it under warranty.

I have a '03 GM! Now I know first hand why Marauders are cost MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused: :help: :alone:

RF Overlord
10-06-2003, 07:08 AM
bigdog:

Is it going to be ready in time for Chocolate Town?

67435animal
10-06-2003, 07:28 AM
I have, I think, similar problems; I have little spots in the clear where it looks like it has been chipped away but they are not stone chips.

How do they 'reshoot' the clear? How do they make sure that the color is consistent?

I have heard of stripping the car back down and then reshooting the base/clear, but not just reshooting the clear.

I'll be very interested in how you say it looks after it has been reshot. If it worked for you, I'll try the same.

Bob

Bigdogjim
10-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by 67435animal
I have, I think, similar problems; I have little spots in the clear where it looks like it has been chipped away but they are not stone chips.

How do they 'reshoot' the clear? How do they make sure that the color is consistent?

I have heard of stripping the car back down and then reshooting the base/clear, but not just reshooting the clear.

I'll be very interested in how you say it looks after it has been reshot. If it worked for you, I'll try the same.

Bob

Bob: If they carefully wet sand the car then they only remove the clear. The paint on the car is OK just the clear is very very thin.
We'll see how it goes.:help:

Bigdogjim
10-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
bigdog:

Is it going to be ready in time for Chocolate Town?

They say they only need it for 4 days:confused:

I hope to be back in black!!:) :D :cool: :coolman:

gja
10-06-2003, 07:48 AM
This is why I will just get 1 more winter out of this pathetic excuse for a paint job, and have the beast shot with Imron.
Than I can use it as an off-road vehicle and not get scratches.

67435animal
10-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Thanks, Dog! Sounds good. As long as the dealer is doing it, you're covered (and, when my turn comes, so am I).

Bob

Bigdogjim
10-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by gja
This is why I will just get 1 more winter out of this pathetic excuse for a paint job, and have the beast shot with Imron.

Gerry: If this does not work out and they do nothing else I will have it repainted dark british racing green.................

SouLRioT
10-06-2003, 04:26 PM
that will look better with white vinyl top.
:lol:

RF Overlord
10-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Bigdogjim
Gerry: If this does not work out and they do nothing else I will have it repainted dark british racing green.................

Now THAT might not be as hideous as it sounds...hmmm...actually, that sounds pretty cool...GO FOR IT!

67435animal
10-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Skip the vinyl top. What about opera windows??

JET
10-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Does that have a HEMI in it?

Big Dog,
I hope everthing works out for you.

Bigdogjim
10-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by SouLRioT
that will look better with white vinyl top.
:lol:

Not to highjack my own thread but, for the record there is NO vinyl top on the car!

It was a hoax. Just some internet fun. I had a few laughs from some of the e-mails and PM's.

:P :P :P :P :) :D

Petrograde
10-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by gja

Imron? is that a type of paint? i.e. PPG. or some kind of paint protectant? Please enlighten.

Tom:help:

Bigdogjim
10-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Petrograde
Imron? is that a type of paint? i.e. PPG. or some kind of paint protectant? Please enlighten.

Tom:help:

The short verson is that it used on jet aircraft. US Air, SouthWest, etc, etc.

Very $$$$ 150. per gallon depending on color.

Petrograde
10-06-2003, 05:44 PM
The short verson is that it used on jet aircraft. US Air, SouthWest, etc, etc.

Very $$$$ 150. per gallon depending on color.

really? how does it shine up? I wonder how many gallons to paint a MM?

Hey Big Dog, I'm glad to hear L/M is squaring you away!

Tom

LincMercLover
10-06-2003, 06:23 PM
I have a '03 GM! Now I know first hand why Marauders are cost MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused: :help: :alone:

You know... Those can do burnouts too... I've got video to prove it! :D

jgc61sr2002
10-06-2003, 06:30 PM
Jim - Did FMC or the dealer give you a difficult time on the repainting of the clearcoat. Hope it turns out to your liking. See you in Hershey.

RCSignals
10-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Big Dog, as long it;s the original Dark British Racing Green not that sickly modern one :)

Bigdogjim
10-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by RCSignals
Big Dog, as long it;s the original Dark British Racing Green not that sickly modern one :)

Don't worry If I do it it will be done right!:flamer: :P

Bigdogjim
10-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Stopped by the body shop today around noon. Turns out they got to work on the paint also! Good news for me!!!

The owner of the body shop (real nice guy) told me that they have to work on the paint due to the amount of "damage"
So 1-2 day takes all week.

At least i got a GM and not the other....................