PDA

View Full Version : Zex Nitrous Kit... How "safe" is this?

W4LTD
05-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I saw this on eBAY...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEX-82023-Wet-Nitrous-Kit-2003-2004-Mercury-Marauder_W0QQitemZ120424104357 QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_ Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=i tem1c09d601a5&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:10|39:1|240:1318# ht_4229wt_810

My main questions are:

1) Will this damage my engine?

2) Where can I get this installed in Central Florida?

3) Is this really a cheap method of gaining HP?

Just curious and your advice is appreciated...

Pat
05-23-2009, 04:48 AM
W4LTD;

This is not the same part number for the kit that some of us, on this site, bought a few years ago during a group buy from ZEX.

The Part number for the Marauder specific was 82026 LS1/LS6. The only difference was the length of the hose from the trunk to the engine bay. The length of the hose was 18 feet and fitted just fine with no margin left over.

This looks like a Mustang kit which is a shorter car. Check before buying or call Zex about a longer hose.

Yes, the 100 shot that I used was very good. Plenty of power with no adverse effects, of course it goes without saying, drag racing can cause your motor to expand it's dimensions in all directions at the same time. LOL

Reinhart Automotive does a nice install, his shop is in Jacksonville.

My son did my install. See pictures in North Texas Marauder Gallery.
That's a metal shell we fabricated for the NMS and the traction controller to mount on. TMF invented it (credit).

My ET's dropped more than a full second. However, that's with the traction control module offered by ZEX, another $250.00

Without it you surely will need a deft touch in launching as the tires go up in smoke.

For Street use, Nitrous is leaky, so I usually had mine shut off unless......... That's additional expense for a remote bottle opener.

Be sure there is a shop nearby for bottle refill, cost is $4-5 a pound. That's the ten pound bottle in this kit. Usually good for a dozen or so runs. Depends on the shot nozzle size.

With what I've listed plus labor your over $1K.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/21/DSC01758_117203.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/21/Dsc01406.jpg

W4LTD
05-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the info, Pat, I knew I saw someone's install photo on here recently...

I am mainly concerned with any and all adverse effects it may have on my motor, but I guess it's primarily in how you use it. I have seen many destroyed motors back in the early nineties from friends' Mustangs going wild, so this is why I am leaning towards the side of caution.

Nowadays, it seems the kits have improved, with more "engine safety" in mind -- but please, correct me if I am wrong...

oldekid
05-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Rich,

You have a PM. I think I have just what you need.
:beer:

Pat
05-23-2009, 10:10 AM
W4LTD:

The older kits used just the nitrous gas and you, the owner, had to supply the additional fuel, that's where many motors were blown, not enough fuel.

However, this is a "Wet" kit meaning both gasoline and nitrous are mixed in correct proportions in the nozzle. I used my flash Marauder performance tune without any problems. If you can dyno, all the better.

If you intend to use it on a weekly basis then I would go with copper or iridium spark plugs one range cooler. Because the Platinum plugs are not designed to handle the additional heat on a continuous basis.

100 shot is about the max I would recommend without a tune and/or engine internal upgrades.

Fella here in my town, "Laughing Gasser", has a 300 shot staged system with a dedicated gasoline tank and feed. Bad Azzz. Used to run in the elevens.

Good luck, it's a "kick in the azzz" especially with the ZEX traction controller.

In fact, I think I'm going to go out and get my "azzz kicked". LOL

DOOM
05-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Nice pics.

CKMustangCobra
05-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I have seen ZEX kits melt a few cars.

Go NX.

Shora
05-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Only on a Marauder would one put money into a car he is trying to sell.

"Mods; feed the need till you hand over the keys."