PDA

View Full Version : Add Sync?

duhtroll
05-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey -

We are buying my wife a new Escape. The dealer says one cannot add Sync after purchase. That sounds strange to me because it should just be swapping a head unit and/or controls.

Someone in the know please chime in. We can always shop a little more specific - just thought it was odd that they would say that, almost like they want us to buy the car they have rather than the car we want.

A dealer would *never* do that, right?

ctrlraven
05-23-2009, 05:12 PM
You have to purchase the vehicle with Sync from factory, it's not something that can be added. It has a hard drive for music/navigation information, navigation antenna, speed sense, etc etc.

ImpalaSlayer
05-23-2009, 05:20 PM
my guess would be a different wirirng harness is involved, one could probably add it later but would probably also be a real PITA

Dr Caleb
05-23-2009, 10:48 PM
My F-150 has Sync. It's wicked. Worth the $$, but it has to be a completely different 'head unit' and wiring harness.

I use that term loosely, because the whole centre console seems to be involved with 'Sync'. There isn't any sort of way to say the stereo/Sirrus/heater ends at one place and something else begins.

Bluerauder
05-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Hey -

We are buying my wife a new Escape. The dealer says one cannot add Sync after purchase. That sounds strange to me because it should just be swapping a head unit and/or controls.

Someone in the know please chime in. We can always shop a little more specific - just thought it was odd that they would say that, almost like they want us to buy the car they have rather than the car we want.

A dealer would *never* do that, right?
My daughter bought a 2009 Ford Escape XLT back in January. She got the "Sun & Sync" option package for $1,190.00. It appears that the entire center console and dash panel are specific to the Sync System. There is an access panel from the passenger side of the console that appears to be sync related (i.e. access to the hard drive :dunno: ). Dash panel has ports for connecting external inputs like cellphone, MP3, IPOD, etc. Control buttons on the steering wheel for Sync features and activating voice commands.

I suspect that adding Sync "afterward" would be a really pricey operation. It could probably be done (for a price); but it may be prohibitive from a cost-benefit point of view. JMHO.

P.S. -- she loves the Escape