PDA

View Full Version : Speechless

TAKEDOWN
05-24-2009, 12:20 AM
My son recently competed in a Karate Tournament which included several schools and various art forms. Kaimana represented the Hawaiian style martial arts and did pretty good. He took 4th place in weapons, 3rd in open hand techniques, and :eek: 2nd place in sparring! I was s0 proud of him. Not only did he perform in front of a large audience, he fought a larger opponent and held his ground. Watching his confidence, bravery, and knowing how to be a winner even when he loses, just left me :eek:. I think I was more nervous then he was, especially the fighting stage, talk about wanting to vomit! Jeeeez, there were a couple of times I wanted to throw a punch, drop kick, poisonous darts at his opponent when the referee wasn't looking, LOL! WoW... is this really the kid I held a few years back? To top it off, he gave a fellow student his 4th place trophy, because he felt bad that she was crying her eyes out. They both came to an agreement that when she wins her first trophy, she'll return his. He either has a good heart or a crush or maybe both. I'm a proud father, but all I can say is... :eek:!

"Ko'oko o' Loa" "Bring the pain" "Show off" "Champ surrendering to his pillow"

DOOM
05-24-2009, 12:23 AM
:congrats: poppa :up:

Local Boy
05-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Right on Takedown...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Way to represent our Local (Hawaiian) Style, Brutha...

ALOHA

TAKEDOWN
05-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Right on Takedown...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Way to represent our Local (Hawaiian) Style, Brutha...

ALOHA

Well thank God, he was in Chicago and not in Hawaii... Those Samoans would've slaughtered him!!!

UncleLar
05-24-2009, 05:40 AM
Congrats to the young man on his accomplishments in the Tournament,both on the mats and off,you have every reason to be proud.
Do you really wonder where he gets it Drew? Look at both of his parents first,kids learn so much by the examples we set for them and by our encouragement and enthusiasm.Obviously where he studies Martial Arts the Masters are also teaching him there is way more to Martial Arts than just the ability to fight so all the way around he's learning to not just be a bad ass. I think the true spirit of Martial Arts is you train so that if you HAVE to fight you'll win but that you try to live so that you shouldn't have to fight,you have the quiet confidence,discipline and self control and respect for others so the skills hopefully won't ever be needed.
BTW,I know all about the Samoans,I've never seen one yet that was a wuss.
Did you catch that episode on cable about a week ago where that former Green Beret goes around studying different fighting techniques around the world and he did some training with the Hawaiians using their traditional weapons and styles? I just happened to catch it and I was pretty impressed.If you missed it I'm sure they'll re run it about a half dozen times pretty soon,you'll have to sit down with your son and watch it.

Mike
05-24-2009, 05:47 AM
My son recently competed in a Karate Tournament which included several schools and various art forms. Kaimana represented the Hawaiian style martial arts and did pretty good. He took 4th place in weapons, 3rd in open hand techniques, and :eek: 2nd place in sparring! I was s0 proud of him. Not only did he perform in front of a large audience, he fought a larger opponent and held his ground. Watching his confidence, bravery, and knowing how to be a winner even when he loses, just left me :eek:. I think I was more nervous then he was, especially the fighting stage, talk about wanting to vomit! Jeeeez, there were a couple of times I wanted to throw a punch, drop kick, poisonous darts at his opponent when the referee wasn't looking, LOL! WoW... is this really the kid I held a few years back? To top it off, he gave a fellow student his 4th place trophy, because he felt bad that she was crying her eyes out. They both came to an agreement that when she wins her first trophy, she'll return his. He either has a good heart or a crush or maybe both. I'm a proud father, but all I can say is... :eek:!

"Ko'oko o' Loa" "Bring the pain" "Show off" "Champ surrendering to his pillow"

:congrats: To the little man!!!!!

Dr Caleb
05-24-2009, 07:58 AM
You've got what sounds like a fine kid there. :high5:

Keep up the good work! :2thumbs:

sanco
05-24-2009, 08:08 AM
congrats takedown not just to the little guy but to you as well. i got a chance to meet your kid at couple of meets so far and all i can say is that you dont see that kinda respect and attitude from kids latelly. reading the story would make anyone proud and i am sure the kid is going to grow up to surpass everyone's expectations.

congrats brother!!

guspech750
05-24-2009, 08:12 AM
its refreshing to hear a really good story such as this. just goes to show us and others your top notch parenting skills!!! congats man!!!:beer:

Hotrauder
05-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Congrats to your fine young man and to you and your wife where it all starts. The fine examples he finds at home and with his instructors is the key. You are right to be proud. Great work. Your story is an inspiration to others to make raising their kids their lives. :) Dennis

oldekid
05-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Very cool!

Love that last shot.
:beer:

justbob
05-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Give Ky a huge high five for me Drew! Never mind I'll try to stop over tonight. I'm glad to hear he did so good, its a long road to travel. To anyone who has never had the chance to meet this little boy, he is the most well mannered kid that i've ran across in a very long time!!!!!

TiTo35
05-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Arent kids the greatest?! Congrats to the young man!

PantherP71
05-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Congrats man. Your raising him right.

Cobra25
05-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Congrat's , I'm sure your very Proud of him.