PDA

View Full Version : What an incredible woman

Dr Caleb
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Born and raised in the slums of Haiti, she's become the Head of State I respect the most.

Just as a note - the Governor General of Canada is our head of State, equal in duty to the U.S. President.

The following may be disturbing to some viewers, but represents a big part of Innu (Eskimo) culture. And I can't be more proud that she did this.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iMwXARrCVvk8gytQt_h00sYU hgqg

xopher
05-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Wow. Impressive.

SC Cheesehead
05-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Born and raised in the slums of Haiti, she's become the Head of State I respect the most.

Just as a note - the Governor General of Canada is our head of State, equal in duty to the U.S. President.

The following may be disturbing to some viewers, but represents a big part of Innu (Eskimo) culture. And I can't be more proud that she did this.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iMwXARrCVvk8gytQt_h00sYU hgqg

Is the Governor General above the Prime Minister? I always thought the PM was the head of state.

Dr Caleb
05-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Is the Governor General above the Prime Minister? I always thought the PM was the head of state.

The GG is the Queen's representative as the Head of State. The PM is the Head of Government. In practise, the Government passes laws, and the GG approves them (or not). She's not really 'above' more 'parallel'.

Some AP video, if you aren't squeamish: :)

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?rn=222561&cl=13663561&ch=

Bluerauder
05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

Is the Governor General above the Prime Minister?
That's kinda personal ain't it? ;)

CBT
05-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Cool to see a HMFIC showing support like that. If George Bush would have ate the liver of a terrorist, I'd have admired him. But he didn't so I don't.

Ladyhawke
05-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Is she married? There you go Glenn; eharmony move over. :lol:

de minimus
05-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Not to quibble Dr. Caleb, but Queen Elizabeth is head of state and the Governor General simply exercises some of the Queen's duties. Further the Queen and the GC as her representative and the PM are not equals - one is the head of state and the other is head of government, the latter whom technically serves at the pleasure of the other.

Good for the GC - now she just has to go to the east coast and bash a harp seal over the head - show a little solidarity to those traditional hunters as well.

Dr Caleb
05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Not to quibble Dr. Caleb, but Queen Elizabeth is head of state and the Governor General simply exercises some of the Queen's duties. Further the Queen and the GC as her representative and the PM are not equals - one is the head of state and the other is head of government, the latter whom technically serves at the pleasure of the other.

Not to quibble either, but that's basically what I said. I could have expressed that the Queen of Canada is the Head of State though. I didn't make that totally clear.

But you are incorrect in that constitutionally, the GG cannot fire the PM except under certain circumstances. Nor can she dissolve Parliament on a whim, nor can she deny any legal request of the PM. She's mostly a rubber stamp (and I think that is a bloody shame).

The PM also cannot fire her, once appointed by the Queen, she serves her term till the end. I think the Queen can remove her, however.

I think after that little Coalition of the Idiots last fall, the last few 'winners' we've been offered as PM, and this move by her - people will understand we need the GG more than ever. Plus, she's a hottie.