PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry handgun?

offroadking208
05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Ok guys, im looking to get my first CCW this weekend and wondered what all you guys carry or prefer. I love my dad's Glock 22C, but im worried about being able to conceal a gun as large as it is. Anybody have a personal preference? I'd like to keep it .40 cal or .45, so 9mm need not apply :D

BAD MERC
05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
My conceal weapon is a .40 Taurus Millenium Pro. Its heavy and hard to hide so I have a .32 Kel-Tec which is a great hidden package and you cannot feel it in your pocket.

W4LTD
05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Kel-Tec P-3AT, Made in the USA (Cocoa, FL), perfect for CCW and got mine for under $300.00
One of the smallest and lightest .380's on the market.
I have been to their plant and they are VERY customer service oriented!
They gave me a free clip just for visiting...

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3at.htm

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/ssi/medium/15229.jpg

There's also the Springfield XD-40 -- but I rarely carry this one concealed due to its weight...

offroadking208
05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I've heard good things about Taurus. One of my friends suggested a Hi-Point .45, but money is really not that big of a deal right now, so i think i'll spring for something a little nicer

W4LTD
05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I've heard good things about Taurus. One of my friends suggested a Hi-Point .45, but money is really not that big of a deal right now, so i think i'll spring for something a little nicer

Hi-Point's a good bang for the buck (I just had to say that! :P) but not the most reliable firearm...

offroadking208
05-26-2009, 05:40 PM
lol, exactly. if i was still broke i would definately be looking into Hi-Point, but im not right now, so i can afford to splurge on something like this. I'll look into Kel-tec too. great advice. i love 2 things. cars and guns. and this is like the meeting of the two :-)

W4LTD
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
lol, exactly. if i was still broke i would definately be looking into Hi-Point, but im not right now, so i can afford to splurge on something like this. I'll look into Kel-tec too. great advice. i love 2 things. cars and guns. and this is like the meeting of the two :-)

If money isn't a problem, go with a Sig...:bows:

PSG
05-26-2009, 05:47 PM
the high point is bulky, if your looking to carry all the time remember you want something small enough to stay hidden , the kel-tec is a good piece, i just got the ruger lcp .380 but its apperantly finiky on ammo, the other issue is avalability and price of ammo, .380 getting tough to get, but .32 is more expensive. i would suggest you shop around and try fitting some of them on you and walk around, you may find out that alot of stuff isn't comfortable.
i do alot of towing, and you'd be suprised how uncomfortable it can become after an hour in the truck, or even better when you're out on a police call and you're trying to hook a carand the nice officer points out that your shirt rode up and your gun is showing. thats illegal in ct., speeking of which don't you need to be 21 to get a ccl?

da'law
05-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Look at the Walther PPS. I just purchased one and it fits into my cargo pants pocket comfortably and it comes in .40 cal. It will hold 7 + 1 and I have shot our crappy dept ammo through it as well as hi grade stuff and it never failed to fire.

finster101
05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
The Springfield XD compact is available in 9mm or .40cal. It is an excellent weapon and comes with two different mags for easier concealment. It will be my next handgun purcase. I would think hard about the 9mm. The more I read about .40 the more I think it will become rare in the future. I carry a Colt combat commander and truly love the 1911 platform. Whenever you want it or need it, it is big and bad and ready to run!

Phrog_gunner
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
I carry a SigPro SP2340. Its a little heavy for a polymer frame but after being at the range when some guys glock blew up in his hand, its worth it. And besides its a Sig.

bobsawyer7
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Have both the Ruger LPC .380 and the Kel-Tec P32.
The P32 is the lightest .32 I've ever used and does a very decent job with Winchester Silvertip Hollow Points.
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p32.htm (http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p32.htm)

guccijayda
05-26-2009, 06:16 PM
My conceal weapon is a .40 Taurus Millenium Pro. Its heavy and hard to hide so I have a .32 Kel-Tec which is a great hidden package and you cannot feel it in your pocket.

Tuarus Millenium line up had alot of issues in the First and second gen's but the latest third generation Milleniums are pretty top notch.

I owned a Taurus Millenium Pt145 45acp third generation for a while and is a decent gun other then the defective original magazines which gave me a FTF because the bullet will not sit snug in the magazine pull. but now I have a Glock 26 with extended mag's 18 and 34 round clips and of course the original 10round mags.

Glocks will never let you down. Get a glock 26, or a glock 27 .40 cal they will never let you down, ask any law enforcement. check out the glock tests. The ran it over with tanks, left it in swamps for several months, shoot it under water, the whole 9 yards.

Another good brand of course is, Sig sauer, Heckler and Kotch, CZ, and the subcompact ccw Springfield armory xd's! i personally don't like the keltec subcompacts, they are real small yes but I hate the function, slide, feel, looks, of it personally IMHO. Many people love Kel-tecs and have no problems with them! for the size you can't beat their lineup for a CCW.I've also heard someone here post about rugers. They are nice guns, nothing fancy or special, just works, to gun fanatics rugers are also known as "tanks", because they are durable and will always shoot! I used to have a ruger p85, what a old gun but never jams ftf or fte.

Im personally a glock man! Pay a little extra bucks and get a solid bullet proof hand gun. I bet the Sig Sauer guys are going F you! Get a sig. What a rival. Glocks Vs Sig's. Get either one you won't complain. Don't 4get the CCW revolvers too. Gotta love them, more reliable then any pistol because revolvers have way less moving parts. Rossi revolvers suck(used to have rossi 462 snub), Some taurus revolvers are decent. Smith & Wes snubs you cant beat. Do some research before you buy a gun because there are many guns out there that are known to have common problems!

If price is an issue you can always get the best deals at Gun auctions! there are several of them held every year! don't go cheap on your gun! It has to be 100% reliable to you god forbid if you need it for that one time that matters.

PSG
05-26-2009, 06:25 PM
spingfield xd subcompact 9mm is great, absolutely my favorate of all my handguns, however, still kind of big to carry in just jeans and a t shirt

ImpalaSlayer
05-26-2009, 06:32 PM
uhh dont you have to be 21 to even own a hand gun......

guccijayda
05-26-2009, 06:39 PM

yes you have to be 21 with regulations varying from state to state. Shot guns and heavy barrel assault rifles have different regulations, etc. But lets not thread jack and be on topic!

offroadking208
05-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Tuarus Millenium line up had alot of issues in the First and second gen's but the latest third generation Milleniums are pretty top notch.

I owned a Taurus Millenium Pt145 45acp third generation for a while and is a decent gun other then the defective original magazines which gave me a FTF because the bullet will not sit snug in the magazine pull. but now I have a Glock 26 with extended mag's 18 and 34 round clips and of course the original 10round mags.

Glocks will never let you down. Get a glock 26, or a glock 27 .40 cal they will never let you down, ask any law enforcement. check out the glock tests. The ran it over with tanks, left it in swamps for several months, shoot it under water, the whole 9 yards.

Another good brand of course is, Sig sauer, Heckler and Kotch, CZ, and the subcompact ccw Springfield armory xd's! i personally don't like the keltec 9's, they are real small yes but I hate the function, slide, feel, looks, of it personally IMHO. Many people love Kel-tecs and have love them! for the size you can't beat their lineup for a CCW.I've also heard someone here post about rugers. They are nice guns, nothing fancy or special, just works, to gun fanatics rugers are also known as "tanks", because they are durable and will always shoot! I used to have a ruger p85, what a old gun but never jams ftf or fte.

Im personally a glock man!

If price is an issue you can always get the best deals at Gun auctions! there are several of them held every year! don't go cheap on your gun! It has to be 100% reliable to you god forbid if you need it for that one time that matters.

I do like the 27's. And the cool thing about them is they can take a magazine from a 22c as well. I am probably going to end up with a Glock. my dad is a LEO and he loves his, and they are durable as crap too. I'm a relatively large guy, so i could most likely pull off concealing a 22 or 23. and the added bonus to those is that i am familiar with them. i've fired a Glock 27 once because my dad had one as an ankle gun. overall, i'm pretty impressed with Glocks

... speeking of which don't you need to be 21 to get a ccl?

Not in the great state of Indiana :D you can get it when you turn 18, you can't purchase a gun until you are 21, however, you can receive one as a gift.
or it could be 19. regardless, i finally got mine after 2 months of waiting and i also got my girlfriend (who is 18) hers for her birthday. asked her if she wanted to get one and she was all for it. she may not be into cars, but she likes guns. i'll take the tradeoff :-)

ImpalaSlayer
05-26-2009, 06:41 PM
not tryin to hijack just wondering how he plans on getting a permit when hes only 19...

ImpalaSlayer
05-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Not in the great state of Indiana :D you can get it when you turn 18, you can't purchase a gun until you are 21, however, you can receive one as a gift.

wow you lucky sum *****!

guccijayda
05-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Lol sorry I didnt catch that, Wow , I didn't know that either!

wow you lucky sum *****!

bob6364
05-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Never more then an arms reach away...
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t153/bob6364/Guns/WaltherPPS002.jpg

and if you have given me a hair across my ass then I will have this one
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t153/bob6364/Guns/sunroom023.jpg

jabird56
05-26-2009, 07:10 PM
.40 S&W Glock 27

or

.45 Glock 30

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

Either one are GREAT pistols, plus they will handle the magazines of their bigger brothers

Green96
05-26-2009, 07:14 PM
My Keltec P3AT was a POS out of the box. It is currently in for repairs to see if they can salvage it. If not it is Ruger LCP for me. The Keltec firing pin was hitting the primer off center and I was geting at least 1-2 failures to fire per mag. With only 6 in the mag, that is not a very good chance that it would fire when you really need it too. We will see how it is when I get it back.
It is heavier, but the Sig 230/232s are as reliable as it gets in a 380. I also like the Springield EMP in 9mm or 40. The 9mm EMP is more enjoyable to shoot, but the 40 is managable enough if you don't mind a little more of a beating.

guccijayda
05-26-2009, 07:21 PM
My Keltec P3AT was a POS out of the box. It is currently in for repairs to see if they can salvage it. If not it is Ruger LCP for me. The Keltec firing pin was hitting the primer off center and I was geting at least 1-2 failures to fire per mag. With only 6 in the mag, that is not a very good chance that it would fire when you really need it too. We will see how it is when I get it back.
It is heavier, but the Sig 230/232s are as reliable as it gets in a 380. I also like the Springield EMP in 9mm or 40. The 9mm EMP is more enjoyable to shoot, but the 40 is managable enough if you don't mind a little more of a beating.
Yea I've heard that kel-tecs aren't to durable because of how small the subcompacts are with their tiny thin brittle pieces like firing pins, slide locks, thin frames, etc. I personally dont like kel-tec's but they are a very popular brand and to all his own! I'm with ya' on the ruger's and Sigs! Great guns

Another good brand of course is, Sig sauer, Heckler and Kotch, CZ, and the subcompact ccw Springfield armory xd's! i personally don't like the keltec subcompacts, they are real small yes but I hate the function, slide, feel, looks, of it personally IMHO. Many people love Kel-tecs and have no problems with them! for the size you can't beat their lineup for a CCW.I've also heard someone here post about rugers. They are nice guns, nothing fancy or special, just works, to gun fanatics rugers are also known as "tanks", because they are durable and will always shoot! I used to have a ruger p85, what a old gun but never jams ftf or fte. Unfortunately I don't know too much about Walther probably because i personally don't know anyone who owns a Walther but I know they are a well known reputable company!

Im personally a glock man! Pay a little extra bucks and get a solid bullet proof hand gun. I bet the Sig Sauer guys are going F you! Get a sig. What a rival. Glocks Vs Sig's. Get either one you won't complain. Don't 4get the CCW revolvers too. Gotta love them, more reliable then any pistol because revolvers have way less moving parts. Rossi revolvers suck(used to have rossi 462 snub), Some taurus revolvers are decent. Smith & Wes snubs you cant beat. Do some research before you buy a gun because there are many guns out there that are known to have common problems!

da'law
05-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Never more then an arms reach away...
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t153/bob6364/Guns/WaltherPPS002.jpg

and if you have given me a hair across my ass then I will have this one
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t153/bob6364/Guns/sunroom023.jpg

Sweet, now that is what I am talking about.

Vortex
05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
http://www.naaminis.com/guard.html

RR|Suki
05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
I carry a glock 39 (sub compact .45) thing is 100% business and tiny here it is compared to some other common items found in one's pockets
https://www.msu.edu/~taylorab/IMG_0820.JPG

I too am curious though as to how you plan on getting a CCW... sure someone can give you a pistol, that has nothing to do with the actual permit though...

guccijayda
05-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Another glock owner! Very nice gun. I love it, those are a little harder to get your hands on too nice find! Glocks are still on a crucial backorder in the thousands! other then the glocks in the store fronts. luckily i got my hands on my 26 and im never going to sell it!

I carry a glock 39 (sub compact .45) thing is 100% business and tiny here it is compared to some other common items found in one's pockets
https://www.msu.edu/~taylorab/IMG_0820.JPG

I too am curious though as to how you plan on getting a CCW... sure someone can give you a pistol, that has nothing to do with the actual permit though...

FordNut
05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I've seen some reports that the 380 Bersa is decent. I got a Walther instead, just in case I decide to sell it. I figured the Walther would hold its value better.

Glockafella
05-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Let me tell you, 300A "map" pockets inbetween your legs is a great gun holster.

Dennis Reinhart
05-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Ok guys, im looking to get my first CCW this weekend and wondered what all you guys carry or prefer. I love my dad's Glock 22C, but im worried about being able to conceal a gun as large as it is. Anybody have a personal preference? I'd like to keep it .40 cal or .45, so 9mm need not apply :D

I carry a 38 with hollow points, the Fla CWP is now valid in over 25 States

guccijayda
05-26-2009, 10:06 PM
cant go wrong with a 38! better yet a .357 mag where u can also use .38 specials! Lol i love revolvers

Richy04
05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Not to piss on the parade, but your first concern is to enroll yourself into some course on firearms safety. Nothing bothers me more than people who want to own firearms thinking they can handle them properly. I am not pre-judging your gun education, but if it was not given by a certified instructor then please let me know where to send your momma flowers when you kill yourself.

Your friend Nat who handled a gun once is not acceptable, watching YouTube is not acceptable. In fact, more than half of the videos I've watched there showing "experts" in firearms, almost all of them had their FINGERS ON THE TRIGGER while talking to the camera. Go see for yourself..

Secondly, having a gun is a big responsibility. Know the laws in your state regarding deadly physical force. My friend in Fl. spent his teenage years in jail for defending himself with a firearm. You are tried in the court of public opinion long before you enter the trial room.

With that out of the way, I have a Glock 19, my backup is a Glock 19, reliable,rugged, lots of options, Never failed me, but it will with bad ammo. Dont use Wolf ammo, dont use questionable ammo and keep it clean and it will out last you.. It's my Austrian Friend..

guccijayda
05-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Dont use Wolf ammo, dont use questionable ammo and keep it clean and it will out last you.. It's my Austrian Friend..

Yup, ur absolutely right. wolf ammo sucks. I owned an ar-15 bushmaster xm15 and Wolf ammo will destroy the chamber but they are fine with ak47's. All in all. Brass>steel casing

Signal_20
05-27-2009, 04:18 AM
Kahr PM9 is one of the best small guns made but expensive. You are betting your life on it though so price should not be a factor.

Embassy
05-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Two handguns I can recommend from years of ownership are the Glock 30 and the Bersa 380. Both have been very reliable.

juno
05-27-2009, 05:32 AM
+1000 on safety and fire arms courses.
Here's my little story. I had a CCW up north and never bothered to get one in FL. Recent incidents on boats and other violent crimes in SFL convinced me I should get another one. I did not understand the laws in FL and got a lot of misinformation from supposed experts. I took the class for 4 hours and $80 on a Saturday afternoon. Worth every penny and second. I found out that I could keep one loaded in my vehicle and boat without a permit, which is really what I wanted. I do not like carrying concealed, but that is really your only option if you need to carry one down here. It makes life a lot easier if you get pulled over and you have a loaded pistol in a vehicle also.
My personal philosphy on having guns around for self defense is they are not worth a crap if they are not loaded and readily available. I do not have kids in the household, so it is simple for me. I decided on the Keltec .32 for ultimate concealing in a pocket. In SFL I rarely wear more then a shirt, shorts and sandals and being on the slim side I can't get away with anything much bigger under a shirt. I can carry my Glock 30 with the right shirt. I chose .45 caliber for that as it is a caliber I am very familiar with and I want to have a .45 around. It is an excellent compromise between a carry and a sidearm/house/boat/car gun. The good thing about the Glock and the Keltec is that as long as you have one in the chamber it is draw and shoot.
I may get a .40 cal in the future.
Like Dennis said, the FL carry is good in a lot of states now and it is even signed by Charles Bronson. :)

And yes, the map pocket seems like it was designed on purpose to hold a firearm. :)

Not to piss on the parade, but your first concern is to enroll yourself into some course on firearms safety. Nothing bothers me more than people who want to own firearms thinking they can handle them properly. I am not pre-judging your gun education, but if it was not given by a certified instructor then please let me know where to send your momma flowers when you kill yourself.

Your friend Nat who handled a gun once is not acceptable, watching YouTube is not acceptable. In fact, more than half of the videos I've watched there showing "experts" in firearms, almost all of them had their FINGERS ON THE TRIGGER while talking to the camera. Go see for yourself..

Secondly, having a gun is a big responsibility. Know the laws in your state regarding deadly physical force. My friend in Fl. spent his teenage years in jail for defending himself with a firearm. You are tried in the court of public opinion long before you enter the trial room.

With that out of the way, I have a Glock 19, my backup is a Glock 19, reliable,rugged, lots of options, Never failed me, but it will with bad ammo. Dont use Wolf ammo, dont use questionable ammo and keep it clean and it will out last you.. It's my Austrian Friend..

FreddieH
05-27-2009, 06:58 AM
I carry a Springfield XD-9 Subcompact. I wear it inside the pants. The only thing is that I use the extended magazine which has a better hold because I have big hands. other than that it conceals very well.

Richy04
05-27-2009, 07:09 AM
http://www.aaronmelton.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/smile_wait_for_flash.jpg

CBT
05-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Like Dennis said, the FL carry is good in a lot of states now and it is even signed by Charles Bronson. :)

The dead actor?

rayjay
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM
If you are looking for CC in a 45ACP, do youself a favor and look at a Glock Model 36. Called the Slim Line. It is Glock's only single stack pistol. 6+1 of the time proven 45ACP. (I like 185 grn +p Ranger SXT) The pistol is small and easily concealable and most important very controllable. Lots of parts available to make it "better". Ask me how I know :D FWIW, unless you are starting a war, 7 rounds is more than adequate for personal defense. The mags are small enough that you could carry a spare if you choose to.
Forget getting a Model 22 for CC unless you are a large guy. Great duty gun, but way too big for CC IMHO.

juno
05-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Yes, the slimline is very carryable. I almost went with that, but wanted something slightly bigger.

If you are looking for CC in a 45ACP, do youself a favor and look at a Glock Model 36. Called the Slim Line. It is Glock's only single stack pistol. 6+1 of the time proven 45ACP. (I like 185 grn +p Ranger SXT) The pistol is small and easily concealable and most important very controllable. Lots of parts available to make it "better". Ask me how I know :D FWIW, unless you are starting a war, 7 rounds is more than adequate for personal defense. The mags are small enough that you could carry a spare if you choose to.
Forget getting a Model 22 for CC unless you are a large guy. Great duty gun, but way too big for CC IMHO.

guccijayda
05-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Heres my sub-compact CCW Glock 26 also known to glock as the "Baby nine". One of the top choices by off duty law enforcement CC. Showing 2 ten round mags, one glock 18 18 round mag, and one 34 round mag....what a glock...

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6618/guna.jpg
Like they say... the only real safety is your finger

offroadking208
05-27-2009, 12:54 PM

I was looking into this as well. I'm pretty sure i could conceal a Glock 22 or 23 (im 6'1", 230), but the Glock 36's do look very nice. and pack the added bonus of being .45 instead of .40

Not to piss on the parade, but your first concern is to enroll yourself into some course on firearms safety. Nothing bothers me more than people who want to own firearms thinking they can handle them properly...

This is something that i am very well aware of and it scares me that people can just go out and buy a firearm when they have NO experience with guns at all. little things such as, NEVER point a gun at anyone (except a burglar and the like), NEVER hold a gun with your finger on the trigger, unless you intend to fire it, NEVER EVER look down the barrel etc etc. That was one thing dad always stressed growing up was firearm safety since he is a LEO and my grandpa was even bigger on it seeing as he was a Conservation Officer. I've been handling firearms since i was 11 or 12. I'm very familiar with the Remington 870 (my deer gun), and my Mosin-Nagant (my fun gun), and my dad's Glock 22.

Aren Jay
05-28-2009, 10:24 PM

dhawke98
05-28-2009, 10:47 PM

Most of what I carry is .40 cal. Doesn't over-penetrate like .45 tends to and can go through glass etc. Many LEAs use .40 which should say something (good or bad).

Taraus has been good but I would second anyone recommending SIG or H&K. Not a big glock fan. WIth those, either you love them or hate them. With SIG, while brand new can be very expensive, you can get a factory refurbished unit that carries the full factory warranty for about 2/3 the cost of new.

Some of the things to consider though are how are you going to carry and when? If you are going to carry, carry all the time. How you are going to carry and what your attire are are some pretty big factors, along with your own build. I have different pieces for each situation. SOmething like my little Ruger LCP is great when I am in shorts and a t-shirt but it is a last ditch gun. My full size SIGs or H&K are great if I am wearing a suit (eww) or big jacket. My Taurus is great for t-shirt and jeans (24/7 Pro)

Hope that helps

dhawke98
05-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Oh yeah, and DO TAKE the classes. Ammo, I like Hydro-shock for areas where jackets are worn most of the year. In places like AZ, gold dots are nice!

bigbillybbs
05-28-2009, 11:27 PM
glock 19 ;)

juno
05-29-2009, 05:15 AM
Some of the things to consider though are how are you going to carry and when? If you are going to carry, carry all the time. (24/7 Pro)

Unfortunately you can't do that unless you never go to schools, bars, restauraunts serving alcohol, churches, government offices, etc in most states.

vkirkend
05-29-2009, 05:19 AM

Why would a 19 year old even need a CCW Permit?????:confused:.

Vortex
05-29-2009, 06:12 AM
My concealed weapons are my hands in my pockets.

6 black belts, 4 forms of Martial Arts, 1000 ways to kill you.

:)

Good grief....
:puke:

CBT
05-29-2009, 06:32 AM

Why not? You can join the military at 17 and be carrying a gun all day. Age has nothing to do with it.

RR|Suki
05-29-2009, 07:10 AM
My concealed weapons are my hands in my pockets.

6 black belts, 4 forms of Martial Arts, 1000 ways to kill you.

:)

LOL I've done Shotokan since I was 5, I still carry.

PS :bs: how you you have a 6 belts for 4 arts.... unless some of these new "arts" that have been sprouting up all over are now giving different sets of belts to increase revenue :lol:

CBT
05-29-2009, 07:18 AM
LOL I've done Shotokan since I was 5, I still carry.

PS :bs: how you you have a 6 belts for 4 arts.... unless some of these new "arts" that have been sprouting up all over are now giving different sets of belts to increase revenue :lol:
The normal 4, plus the Bible Belt and the Corn Belt. Isn't there a Rust Belt also? And Orions Belt. That one is outta this world!

rayjay
05-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Good grief....
:puke:

Yep, AJs on the crack pipe, again... :shake:

dhawke98
05-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Unfortunately you can't do that unless you never go to schools, bars, restauraunts serving alcohol, churches, government offices, etc in most states.

No true for all states but regardlss, just have to conceal better. I think you get my meaning though...

dhawke98
05-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Why not? You can join the military at 17 and be carrying a gun all day. Age has nothing to do with it.

Can't "own" a handgun until 21 last I heard

CBT
05-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Can't "own" a handgun until 21 last I heard

Ah. Well that I don't know. But it should be 17. So should the minimum drinking age. Old enough to die for your country:flag:, should be old enough to enjoy your 2nd Amendment rights:uzi: and drink a beer:beer:.

Mike Poore
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Look at the Walther PPS. I just purchased one and it fits into my cargo pants pocket comfortably and it comes in .40 cal. It will hold 7 + 1 and I have shot our crappy dept ammo through it as well as hi grade stuff and it never failed to fire.

+1 I've been carrying a PPKS in stainless for nearly 30+yrs, now. Also have a Smith Tactical in .40S&W, which is a far more formidable cartridge, also stainless. Handloads only in either, as factory bullet choices/loads suck.

For carry, that little Walther is hard to beat though. :gangster:

glassman99
05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I sometimes carry the KelTec 380. You can put this in your pocket! It also is a good backup in an ankle holster.

Usually I rely on the Glock 19. Not too small but still carries 15 rounds. I can totally conceal that "Open carry" with an untucked shirt with two magazines on the opposite side. 45 rounds of 9mm with 6 rounds of .380 on your ankle. All loaded with Hornady TAP.

Before the Glock, I carried a 1911 .45 but once I tried the G19 I usually pick it as the carry piece.

Aren Jay
05-29-2009, 07:52 PM

Leadfoot281
05-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Excellent point! That's why I've never bothered to take a CPR class.

Who needs that anyway with all these hospitals and ambulances so close by?

BTW I carry a full size Kimber 1911 with the 26 state Utah permit.

MADRODER
05-30-2009, 02:52 PM
:uzi: and drink a beer:beer:.

That's a scary mixture, but I know it never happens......:rolleyes:

Windsor58
05-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Colt 1911 Officer's Model with Wilson Combat mags (7+1 vs 6+1 factory mags). Variety of carry methods, but my favorite is the Mitch Rosen custom shoulder rig.
Considering getting a short 357 for backup.

Krytin
05-30-2009, 05:34 PM
The Springfield XD compact is available in 9mm or .40cal. It is an excellent weapon and comes with two different mags for easier concealment. It will be my next handgun purcase. I would think hard about the 9mm. The more I read about .40 the more I think it will become rare in the future. I carry a Colt combat commander and truly love the 1911 platform. Whenever you want it or need it, it is big and bad and ready to run!

+1 on the 1911 platform - easily customized to your personal preference and great proven stopping power especially when hand loaded to maximum velocity!
I run a Speer 200 gr. JHP that clocks at a little over 1200fps 15' down range of the muzzle.

Aren Jay
05-31-2009, 09:22 AM

RR|Suki
05-31-2009, 10:04 AM
The problem with pistols is that there is no real reason to have them other than for shooting people. Terrible for hunting anything but people. Not even all that good for hunting people.
Terrible for defense against dangerous animals, Cougar creeps up on you while fishing, your pistol is not that great, better than a knife but not that great. Wander into a bear and your pistol only makes the situation worse.

Now if you can have a concealed gun permit, why not just have a law that says you can carry this in the open instead?

http://www.mossberg.com/images/home/50591.jpg

This says leave me alone, and with a small modification is great for hunting birds deer and the like. Even works against a bear. You could even have a holster that conceals it, sort of.

You don't get your ccw to carry a weapon for shooting bear and cougars... you get it to shoot people. Seeing as this is a thread about CCW; whether or not pistols are effective against wild animals is an ancillary and idiotic conversation to have. :shake:

rayjay
05-31-2009, 11:14 AM
He is off his meds again :rolleyes:

FordNut
05-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Anybody open carry? Some states allow it, I hear of more & more people doing it.

guccijayda
05-31-2009, 03:38 PM
I strongly disagree. A mossberg or any shotgun is great for stopping power much greater then any pistols. But statistics show around 90% of gun shootings are within 10 feet. for close combat and SELF Defense, what a CCW is meant for, it is great. You cant conceal a shot gun. If someone jumps on you and is in arms reach of you there is no way you are going to be able to lift your shot gun and shoot him. With a pistol, nevertheless a CCW sub-compact pistol, you can do so because the minimum possible distance is decreased five fold. Also a CCW pistol is not meant for "Hunting" people. Civilians recieve CCW permits, and they do not hunt but for the sole purpose of self defending ones self and loved ones. Hunting for people or cougars or dangerous animals has nothing to do with ccw. Also I think a .45 acp or a .44 mag nevertheless hollow point shells is ample stopping power for a cougar close range( for example creeping up on you). Even a couple rounds to the dome with a .40 or 9mm if your talking about point blank. Bears on the other hand have very tough skin to penetrate better have alot of ammo.

The problem with pistols is that there is no real reason to have them other than for shooting people. Terrible for hunting anything but people. Not even all that good for hunting people.
Terrible for defense against dangerous animals, Cougar creeps up on you while fishing, your pistol is not that great, better than a knife but not that great. Wander into a bear and your pistol only makes the situation worse.

Now if you can have a concealed gun permit, why not just have a law that says you can carry this in the open instead?

http://www.mossberg.com/images/home/50591.jpg

This says leave me alone, and with a small modification is great for hunting birds deer and the like. Even works against a bear. You could even have a holster that conceals it, sort of.

glassman99
05-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Anybody open carry? Some states allow it, I hear of more & more people doing it.

Brian, I do sometimes on weekends. I live in the country and have never received a second glance. I would not recommend open carry though as in some situations it can cause you to get into something that might not have happened if you were concealed. You have to be very careful. There has been an incidence in Atlanta were a legal, CCW permitted individual has been thrown to the ground, arrested and had his weapon confiscated. It is still a year and he has not received his handgun back yet.
Usually I make every attempt to "Conceal carry".

offroadking208
05-31-2009, 07:09 PM
I've thought about it, but i live in a very city part of the country. Hamilton County in Indiana. a very "rich" well off part of the country for some strange reason. and open carry takes away the element of surprise that you would otherwise have. could make you the first target if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time (mabye a convenience store robbery). so i prefer to conceal it and keep the element of surprise :D

CBT
05-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Look at it this way: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. And I mean no disrespect to law enforcement folks, trust me. I'm sure they will say the same thing, it's easier to carry a weapon around than a 200 pound policeman.

CBT
06-01-2009, 10:44 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/thumbs/snapsoid1.com_girls_with_guns. jpg (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5470)
>>>>>>>>>>>

Krytin
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/3/thumbs/snapsoid1.com_girls_with_guns. jpg (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5470)
>>>>>>>>>>>
Everyone with a gun has their finger on the trigger!
That's a brave photographer!!!!!!!!!

CBT
06-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Guns what guns?:D

Marauderjack
06-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Especially when half of them have PMS!!!!:eek::burnout:

Windsor58
06-02-2009, 12:45 AM
For those that think a good 45 is not enough and don't think you will need more than 3 rounds...

n3fvg
06-02-2009, 02:27 AM

My personal favorite is a Kimber Ultra CDP .45 auto. Always been a big .45 fan! Shoots well and stays surprisingly controlled for a short barreled & grip gun.

TAKEDOWN
06-04-2009, 08:53 PM
For those that think a good 45 is not enough and don't think you will need more than 3 rounds...

I like that!!!

vkirkend
06-05-2009, 12:21 PM

Don't get me wrong, I own a hand gun and rifle. I just wonder why the need to carry a hand gun on your person all the time. I just don't see the need for a 19 year old to have a CCW permit. And even in the military you don't get to carry you weapon with you when you are on leave. Maybe there is a justifiable reason for doing it but "just because I can" doesn't always cut it.

CBT
06-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, I own a hand gun and rifle. I just wonder why the need to carry a hand gun on your person all the time. I just don't see the need for a 19 year old to have a CCW permit. And even in the military you don't get to carry you weapon with you when you are on leave. Maybe there is a justifiable reason for doing it but "just because I can" doesn't always cut it.

I'll quote myself with the important parts in bold:

"Look at it this way: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. And I mean no disrespect to law enforcement folks, trust me. I'm sure they will say the same thing, it's easier to carry a weapon around than a 200 pound policeman."

It's still a free country, you don't have to carry if you don't want to. :beer:

MM2004
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/2004MM/Colt%201991A1/Colt1991A1002copy.jpg

Mike.

Jake Steel
06-05-2009, 10:35 PM
44 magnum the most powerful handgun in the world...............dirty harry

guccijayda
06-05-2009, 11:49 PM
44 magnum the most powerful handgun in the world...............dirty harry

no actually a .60 cal revolver
:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yzI0AIpUUA

glassman99
06-06-2009, 04:40 AM

I guess if you have to wonder why, you shouldn't be carrying. You just have to read the paper or watch the news. The age of the person carrying should make no difference if they are properly trained. I don't wonder, I carry, sometime more than one depending on where I am going to be. In my state, if you are in the military (active or reserve) you can carry anywhere anytime.

Richy04
06-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Hardly anyone is properly trained, I was in a few situations where other agencies were involved and the guy is shaking,sweating and his finger was on the trigger. Pretty scary!

Like I said, check out YouTube and see all of the dolts there showing off and trying to educate people, yet they violate all the rules of gun safety. They arent pointed down range, finger is on the trigger while yapping into the camera, shooting the firearm in a area that is not a range or in an area where there are campers or hikers etc..

glassman99
06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Hardly anyone is properly trained, I was in a few situations where other agencies were involved and the guy is shaking,sweating and his finger was on the trigger. Pretty scary!

Like I said, check out YouTube and see all of the dolts there showing off and trying to educate people, yet they violate all the rules of gun safety. They arent pointed down range, finger is on the trigger while yapping into the camera, shooting the firearm in a area that is not a range or in an area where there are campers or hikers etc..

Pretty broad statement. I would say there are multi-millions properly trained, leos, ex-leos, military, ex-military, any who has taken REAL classes in the use of deadly force. There are several courses we can take here in the greater Atlanta area that are taught by REAL instructors.

Aren Jay
06-08-2009, 09:22 AM

LordVader
06-08-2009, 01:32 PM

Agreed, not much concern about gun safety around those ladies!

Aren Jay
06-08-2009, 02:27 PM

glassman99
06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Now I have to admit carrying a pistol for any reason other than law enforcement or military around here will get you locked up lickity split. If they catch you.

But

Having a concealed carry or open carry license would be great if you are out hunting or fishing. Pistols do help if your out fishing and encounter an angry loser with a fist full of beer. But more often you run into a wolverine or a bear or a cougar. Then your pistol just sucks. Around here.

If you are within 10 feet of someone, it is better not to have a pistol but rather a good knife. My Spiderco Civilian is great for intimidating someone, anyone and is also great for opening parcels, CD's or DVD's. Get jumped and you don't accidentally shoot yourself or worse have your gun taken away and get shot.

Also a shotgun makes a great club. Pistols do not. A short shotgun (legal) in a bag or pack is better imo than a pistol anyday. Concealed carry in a sports bag or brief case is easy and very effective. Also shotguns have less of a risk of hurting some innocent person around you when you hit and go through or miss your target, the wall next to them etc...

Also with ~8 balls of buck shot your unlikely to miss your target the first time. If they are so far away that you can't hit them, it is time to stop shooting.

Reminds of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpapdB-bCFI

http://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/large/C12G_L.jpg
clips on a belt, opens one handed...

You are kidding? right? Your knife is more intimidating than my 1911? or my Glock? I don't think so. I would never pull a gun to intimadate. That is called brandishing.

rayjay
06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
You are kidding? right? Your knife is more intimidating than my 1911? or my Glock? I don't think so. I would never pull a gun to intimadate. That is called brandishing.

Hey, cut him break, ya know damn well he is off his meds again :shake:

Krytin
06-09-2009, 09:47 AM

I'm with you on that - only pull a gun to "perforate" or "ventilate"!!!