PDA

View Full Version : Can a header be fixed?

Motorhead350
05-31-2009, 01:11 AM
When I was changing my oil in my K5 I noticed my passenger side Hooker Header is cracked. Looks like the second drive shaft from the 4x4 hit it enough times over bumps to crack it. It's cracked right where the tubes all go into one on the bottom of the header.

Can this actually be fixed or will the hot and cold temperature changes ruin a repair weld? I drive it in winter and the crack isn't too bad looking.

:confused:

CBT
05-31-2009, 06:08 AM
It can be fixed if the metal isn't rusty. Headers are thin, old headers are thin and rusty, rusty metal not weld good. The hole/crack will just get bigger. The cost of having someone try and fix it would be about the same as just getting another cheap set. Welding is something I'm actually damn good at if I may say so myself:)

Joe Walsh
05-31-2009, 07:24 AM
Why worry about it Dom?...
I thought that you drove around in the Blazer with open headers anyway.
:P

justbob
05-31-2009, 07:56 AM
He does:D

Listen to Casey on this one, hooker headers for your application are quite cheap, unless it is in a easy to get at place and nice clean metal, there is a chance that they will get worse if the welder just melts it.

Epoxy:dunno:

Joe Walsh
05-31-2009, 08:11 AM
He does:D

Listen to Casey on this one, hooker headers for your application are quite cheap, unless it is in a easy to get at place and nice clean metal, there is a chance that they will get worse if the welder just melts it.

Epoxy:dunno:

JB Weld FTW!

Krytin
05-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Small diameter drill - drill hole at each end of crack and weld it up. If you can't poke a hole in it with a screw driver you can weld it.

Motorhead350
05-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Small diameter drill - drill hole at each end of crack and weld it up. If you can't poke a hole in it with a screw driver you can weld it.

Sounds like it can be fixed, but needs replacing anyway.

TAKEDOWN
05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Headers can be fixed, but your head... No!

Motorhead350
05-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Headers can be fixed, but your head... No!

They will never be broken no matter how old I get... but their both screwed up. :D