PDA

View Full Version : 110 mi comute. Whats the best Hybrid..

Hadamustang1
06-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Keeping the MM.. I have a car allowance.. Guess I want the biggest fastest Hybrid out there..

ctrlraven
06-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Is your mileage going to be mostly city or highway?

CBT
06-01-2009, 08:22 AM
I had a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, great vehicle. Sucker got up and mooooooved when you nailed it. I almost miss it.

babbage
06-01-2009, 08:23 AM
The new Ford Fusion Hybrids are suppose to be awesome. Drive one and see what you think.

Joe Walsh
06-01-2009, 08:30 AM
The new Ford Fusion Hybrids are suppose to be awesome. Drive one and see what you think.

^^ +1 ^^

It recently won a Hybrid comparo done by C&D.
They loved it.

ctrlraven
06-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I've been thinking about a Fusion Hybrid myself, I like the styling and all of the reviews it's been getting.

rayjay
06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Hybrids get their best mileage in city driving. My chief swears by his VW Jetta diesel and he commutes 100 miles daily. He gets mid 40s. VW says their new direct injection diesels do even better.

BigCars4Ever
06-01-2009, 09:31 AM
+1 on the TDI. Nothing touches it for hwy mpg's

justbob
06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I vote for the fusion.

Hadamustang1
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I want something big..So I can take it camping and beat on it a little.

96fleetwood
06-01-2009, 11:34 AM
I want something big..So I can take it camping and beat on it a little.

Tahoe/Escalade Hybrid ;)

justbob
06-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Camping, beat on? Then a Hybrid CBT is what you need:lol:

I wouldn't purchase anything but a Ford at this point.

ctrlraven
06-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Ford Escape Hybrid is really nice. One of my client has the Mercury Mariner Hybrid and loved it. He said it takes some time to re-learn how to drive to maximize gas mileage but was doing 1200-1300 miles on like 2 full tanks of gas.

Got Diesel?
06-01-2009, 09:50 PM

My buddies wife has a 06' TDI Jetta auto and gets 47mpg on mostly highway driving. They're a sweet little car.:D

Glockafella
06-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I hate to say it, But the new Diesel Jettas the one I would pick

Mr. Man
06-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Check out the Tesla, I hear its wicked fast and maybe totally electric to boot. Sorry I don't know much more about it.

SC Cheesehead
06-02-2009, 04:11 AM
Hybrids get their best mileage in city driving. My chief swears by his VW Jetta diesel and he commutes 100 miles daily. He gets mid 40s. VW says their new direct injection diesels do even better.

+1

The wife has an Escape Hybrid, averages 32 - 34 mpg on the highway, but in town gets better, another 2 mpg or so.

Agree with Ray, a diesel may be the best way to go for good highway mileage.

Bluerauder
06-02-2009, 04:11 AM
Check out the Tesla, I hear its wicked fast and maybe totally electric to boot. Sorry I don't know much more about it.

Tesla Roadster starting at $101,500 >>>>> http://www.teslamotors.com/

You could buy a bunch of MM 91 Octane for that amount. About 507,000 miles worth @ $4.00 per gallon or about 18 years of your daily 110 mile commute.

juno
06-02-2009, 05:37 AM
I believe the VW diesel comes in a wagon also.

jonroe
06-02-2009, 05:55 AM
I would also respectfully ask you to think hard about supporting Ford because of the current dire situation we face with Government take over of the US auto industry. We need to think about rewarding Ford for doing the right thing. You know the US Government will ultimately stack the deck against Ford and they will eventually get punished for doing the right thing.

Mike Poore
06-02-2009, 06:10 AM
What's wrong with you guys? The Mercury Gran Marquis or CV Sport are going for a song, these days, and can deliver ~27MPG on the highway. If you get an allowance why not pick a comfortable, super safe, quiet vehicle for those long rides. Remember, they come with Serius Radio and a killer nav system.

Maybe it's just fat, grumpy, old me, but I can't see why you're thinking about anything else.

bobsawyer7
06-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Ford Fusion.
Great reviews. Comfort, economy, mileage, looks, American built :flag:

juno
06-02-2009, 07:19 AM
I am all for supporting Ford, I have three of them in my driveway, but they make nothing I would want to buy right now, except maybe the f-150. I drove a Mazda 6 rental for three weeks and it is the similar/same as an 09 fusion. Great car, but it's just boring and vanilla, like everything ford makes now. If you want a civic or camry or maxima, yeah get a fusion instead. If you want something to make you smile, go somewhere else, sadly. :(

Mike Poore
06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I am all for supporting Ford, I have three of them in my driveway, but they make nothing I would want to buy right now, except maybe the f-150. I drove a Mazda 6 rental for three weeks and it is the similar/same as an 09 fusion. Great car, but it's just boring and vanilla, like everything ford makes now. If you want a civic or camry or maxima, yeah get a fusion instead. If you want something to make you smile, go somewhere else, sadly. :(

Didn't you read my post? They're giving these things away. It's like ahaving a spare marauder.

Look at this!!!!!!!

http://wichita.craigslist.org/ctd/1198373318.html

gate500gr
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I hate to say it, But the new Diesel Jettas the one I would pick

diddo... plus it goes VROOOOM!!!

Mr. Man
06-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Tesla Roadster starting at $101,500 >>>>> http://www.teslamotors.com/

You could buy a bunch of MM 91 Octane for that amount. About 507,000 miles worth @ $4.00 per gallon or about 18 years of your daily 110 mile commute.
...But he said he had a car allowance, He didn't say how much that was so I figure shoot for the moon and when the powers that be say No! then shoot for a totally loaded Tahoe or something that comes in for half that and you tell the boss you were able to cost cut and save the company 50 or 60 GGG's Big picture thinking:burnout:

Windsor58
06-02-2009, 01:18 PM
For highway mileage the Jetta TDI is supposed to be the best. HOWEVER, having owned a VW Touareg V-10 TDI, I really have to say that the quality is really poor. Mine was in the shop or needing to be in the shop every two weeks for 2 and a half years. Total time in the shop in the first two years was six months (that's right - a quarter of the time, and it would have been much higher if I had taken it in every time it was throwing faults).
Just can't recommend a VW. Check out how low they are in JD Powers, etc. They are very near the bottom.
If you want fair mileage with fun, look at a Fusion Sport - 263hp, cheaper than the Fusion Hybrid and 27 mpg highway. And, it's American. Probably can't beat on it off-road, though. If that is required, I'd check out the new Escapes.

jabird56
06-02-2009, 08:22 PM

I bought an 09 Jetta TDI in December for my daily commuter (140 miles a day), and LOVE IT! I'm getting an average of 38 MPG commuting and around 44 MPG on long hauls. We drove it on vacation in April from Maryland down to Fort Lauderdale and Key West. It handles great, has pretty good pep, and is built solid.

They do make it in a wagon also.

Got mine with:

Tiptronic 6-Speed Auto
Power Moon Roof
Leather Steering Wheel
Sirius Radio and GPS
17" Aluminum Wheels

The 09 Jetta diesel is such a clean burning motor, that it actually rates from the IRS a $1300 tax credit when you buy it.

The Sirius Radio and GPS is also integrated with the digital monitor display within the instrument cluster,....kinda like a heads-up display.

Now keep in mind that they are only shipping 14,000 to the US this year.

Jetta TDI Sedan:

http://www.vw.com/jetta/en/us/?tab=tdi

Jetta TDI SportWagon:

http://www.vw.com/jettasportwagen/en/us/

I'm planning to go up to the NJ Motorsports Park the weekend of 11 SEP, where the VW Jetta TDI Cup series will be racing.

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/events.html#Arca

Race series info:

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=105
http://www.vw.com/vwhype/motorsport/en/us/#/jetta_tdi_cup/

Vortex
06-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Hybrids get better city mileage than highway mileage. A TDI VW is probably your best bet.

PhastPhil
06-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Mike Poore is One Thousand percent right ! Add a cold air intake, a proguard, a tune, and full synthetics, and you'll do better than 27 mpg.

justbob
06-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Have you decided?

rayjay
06-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Have you decided?

On what, he's looking for a motorhome and we're trying to sell him a car.

Hadamustang1
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
On what, he's looking for a motorhome and we're trying to sell him a car.

I will go drive the escape this weekend.. I think thats what I want.. thanks for all your input..

babbage
06-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Camping, beat on? Then a Hybrid CBT is what you need:lol:

I wouldn't purchase anything but a Ford at this point.

Me too as I'm loyal to Ford, but even more so now that Chrystler and GM are in trouble.

SilverSport
06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Mike Poore is One Thousand percent right ! Add a cold air intake, a proguard, a tune, and full synthetics, and you'll do better than 27 mpg.

I have all the mods you mentioned in my 03 Sport except a Marauder airbox instead of a cold(?) air intake. Highest mileage I've ever recorded hear in NY state is 23mpg on a run up the NYS Thruway, never going over 70 mph. I wouldn't call that great mileage. I had an 02 Camry SE 2.4 and a 5-spd that would get 36 mpg on the same run. I vote for the Fusion Hybrid just because of VW's horrible reliability record. Just make sure you get an extended warranty. That Hybrid stuff is VERY expensive to fix once the regular warranty is up.

252life
06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Get a Jetta TDI, they are extremely reliable.
I have one (actually it's a Seat Toledo TDI, but it's the same as a Jetta) as a daily driver. I was gonna replace it if it started to breakdown but it hasn't happened yet, it's now done 190'000 Miles. The only things that are replaced since new are alternator, waterpump, rear shocks, clutch and exhaust system.
And I if I keep it under 65 mph I get 3.8L/10Km thats 60 mpg!
It also has a performance chip and a 2.5" free flow exhaust and a boost controller, it's actually pretty fun to drive.

My first Jetta that I owned I passed on to another family member who have driven it every day for many years, it's now done 380'000 miles.

GordonB
06-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Ditto, I would highly recommend the Fusion/Milan Hybrid. My son-in-law has been behind this product's development and was behind the Escape's development as well. The Fusion/Milan is very well done and even 'Car guys' like this product -- it feels 'seamless' in the real world. FWIW.
GordonB

Vortex
06-05-2009, 07:36 AM
I have one (actually it's a Seat Toledo TDI, but it's the same as a Jetta) as a daily driver. I was gonna replace it if it started to breakdown but it hasn't happened yet, it's now done 190'000 Miles. The only things that are replaced since new are alternator, waterpump, rear shocks, clutch and exhaust system.
It also has a performance chip and a 2.5" free flow exhaust and a boost controller, it's actually pretty fun to drive.

My first Jetta that I owned I passed on to another family member who have driven it every day for many years, it's now done 380'000 miles.

Guess I never noticed we had a MM owner in Sweden. Cool. Actually, the babes in the carwash pics in your gallery are even cooler! Now back to the thread...

Windsor58
06-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Guess I never noticed we had a MM owner in Sweden. Cool. Actually, the babes in the carwash pics in your gallery are even cooler! Now back to the thread...

Thank you for pointing out this very important technical information.

rayjay
06-06-2009, 08:01 AM

Must be they make Euro VWs better than US ones. We've had some difficulties with my wifes Passat :rolleyes:

Aren Jay
06-08-2009, 01:35 PM