PDA

View Full Version : Ford sales down, Town Car up 103%

gmtech
06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Ford Sales Slip 26%

By Robert Farago
June 2, 2009

<!-- if there's a youTube video link, show video here --><!-- purchase links -->http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/2008grandmarquis2.jpg (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/2008grandmarquis2.jpg)
Way hey! Ford is claiming a major victory (http://media.ford.com/images/10031/May09sales.pdf), even as its U.S. May sales dropped 25.8 percent. The Blue Oval Boyz trumpet the fact their market share has grown to its “highest level since 2006.” So Ford is now where they were when ex-Boeing exec Alan Mulally took over (for a $25 million year one payout). And once again, Ford forgets to assign this glorious rising market share a numerical value. Let’s be clear here (even if Ford isn’t): they’re talking about retail share. At the end of the first quarter, Ford’s overall share of the U.S. market, measured traditionally, fell to 13.9 percent, a loss of 1.1 percent. What was that about lies, damn lies and Ford press releases? Drilling down is even more depressing.

Last month, sales for the Ford brand fell 36.8 percent, spraying arterially in all genres: cars (-32.6 percent), CUVs (-25.3 percent), SUVs (-60.5 percent) and trucks (-40.3 percent). Fusion sales get the PR spin award. Ford dealers managed to shift 19,786 of the hecho en Mexico four-door, up 9.4 percent. Fleet much? Incentive much? Not to take anything [much] away from the Fusion’s success, but sales of every other Ford model were way, way down. Ford can’t afford to become Mr. Fusion.
Lincoln clocked-in with a 2.4 percent lift,but get this: the only winner was the ancient Town Car, up 103.3 percent. And let’s get real: the six-soon-to-be-seven model brand’s total monthly volume was just 8,566 vehicles. In repeat of last month’s ignominy, the badge-engineered Mercury brand outsold Ford’s premier division (by 1665 units). Le by—you guess it—the Mercury Marquis (up six percent).
And Volvo? Lets just say the brand’s getting cheaper every month, in a -42.1 percent kinda way.
The real question: once the rabbit in the python is digested, once Chrysler and GM’s excess inventories are pushed out the door at fire sale prices, will Ford’s crosstown rivals’ customers abandon Government Motors I and II for Ford? The next few months will tell the tale. And will that be enough to even partially douse FoMoCo’s epic cash burn?

Marquis & TC doing great:D
<SMALL itxtvisited="1"></SMALL>

<!-- /post -->

Mr. Man
06-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Mystifies me why they are bent on killing these cars. Hey FORD they sell and I think that's the object, isn't it?

LOWBUCKMM
06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
those are two cars they should not kill at all. WHY do you ask its cause they SELL.

Krytin
06-03-2009, 05:46 AM
And they don't even advertise them anymore - $0.00 spent on marketing these cars!!!

SMOKE
06-03-2009, 05:56 AM
And the tooling has got have have been bought and paid for over and over again...these things can't cost much to make....

justbob
06-03-2009, 05:59 AM
It wasn't very long ago that atleast twice a year you could get a "comfortable" GM for $19,900.00 advertised right on the window at just about any dealership. I'd like to know what it really costs them to build one now.

Vortex
06-03-2009, 06:04 AM
They post percentages but no actual numbers, Id like to know what they are for the GM and TC. I agree with the above that these cars must be pretty cheap to manufacture. Think I read someplace Ford sold about 45k GMs last year which isnt bad. Bottom line, look at the GM pic posted above; I could see myself cruising down the road in that car, I think they look pretty good.

LIGHTNIN1
06-03-2009, 09:34 AM
I have not read for a while how much profit is for the Town Car, but years past it was said to be $10,000 per unit.

LeoVampire
06-03-2009, 01:54 PM
They make special delivery vans and cars in England and also a special line of cars and trucks in Australia as well.

They have a Diesel car that sells like hot cakes in England because it gets 75 mpg.

The only reason why that car isn't sold here is because we are not fond of diesel's and the price for fuel can be ruff in the U.S. and is still looking to go up in cost per gallon.

So you can't just look at the U.S. side of sale's.