PDA

View Full Version : Air rifles anyone?

fastblackmerc
06-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Just picked up a Beeman RS2 from Wallyworld. For less than $130.00 a pretty good rifle, break barrel, nice real wood stock, dual caliber (.177 & .22 have to change barrels), comes with a fiber optic front and rear sights, unmounted 4x30 Beeman scope, heavy with a nice recoil to it. Says it's 1000 fps but that's debatable.

After using the "iron" sights for a while and nailing about 5 squirrels, I mounted and zeroed in the scope last night. First kill today was a squirrel - head shot at about 15 yards. Looking for more of those yard rats......

Also have a Remington Airmaster 77. Not bad but alot of plastic and it's a multi-pump gun so reloading takes awhile and pellets are a PIA to load.

Dragcity
06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm hearing you on the tree rats. I have a synthetic stock break barrel for .177 pellets and it certianly is 1,000 FPS, maybe a little more. Scoped and zeroed in.

One of those bastages was squaking away on a telephone pole with just up to his eyes sticking out. Set the scope to 40 yards and right through the eyes it went. No more squackin'.

Things a riot to shoot, but louder than you want them to be in a residential neighborhood....

Joe Walsh
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I've got 3 that I use regularly for pest control.

RWS Model 93 .177 cal - scoped
Beeman Model GS1000 .22 cal - scoped
Crosman Model 1400 .22 cal - iron sights

I don't have a squirrel problem...only one has been raiding my birdfeeder on the back porch.
I hit him in the rear with a couple of low velocity shots (1 pump in the Crosman 1400) and each time he took off like he got hit by lightning.
He is still around, but he doesn't frequent my feeder anymore....:D

I do have a bird species control program in effect.
I have two bluebird houses in my yard and I usually get at least 1 pair of Bluebirds and sometimes a pair of Tree Swallows nesting in them.
Every year they get harassed & attacked by English Sparrows and the occasional parasitic Cowbird.
Last year a male English Sparrow actually destroyed the Bluebird's eggs and commandeered the nest box....until he fell ill with a bad case of 'lead poisoning'!
That RWS .177 is 1,000 fps+ and it is a tack driver with the scope!
A few "I don't want to raise my chicks" Cowbirds have caught a case of lead poisoning also.
I caught one trying to fit in the Bluebird house's hole this year....she didn't make it in, and she didn't make it home.

Dragcity
06-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Grackles are the birds I hate. Just like minature crows....

fastblackmerc
06-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm hearing you on the tree rats. I have a synthetic stock break barrel for .177 pellets and it certianly is 1,000 FPS, maybe a little more. Scoped and zeroed in.

One of those bastages was squaking away on a telephone pole with just up to his eyes sticking out. Set the scope to 40 yards and right through the eyes it went. No more squackin'.

Things a riot to shoot, but louder than you want them to be in a residential neighborhood....

Mine sounds like a 22.

ImpalaSlayer
06-04-2009, 01:22 PM
STARLINGS! god what nasty birds! they see an plane and makes a mess of it.

Joe Walsh
06-04-2009, 02:31 PM
STARLINGS! god what nasty birds! they see an plane and makes a mess of it.

Yet another invasive species that we imported from England and now they are everywhere!
Starlings compete directly with our native Bluebirds....some Starlings have received a dose of lead poisoning in my back yard.

UncleLar
06-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Warning,here in the Peoples Republik of Chikago (aka Daleygrad) BB guns and pellet guns,air rifles,etc., are considered FIREARMS and illegal.You get caught with one and you get charged with unlawful possesion of a firearm.Believe me,I know,I found out the hard way!

Joe Walsh
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Warning,here in the Peoples Republik of Chikago (aka Daleygrad) BB guns and pellet guns,air rifles,etc., are considered FIREARMS and illegal.You get caught with one and you get charged with unlawful possesion of a firearm.Believe me,I know,I found out the hard way!

No **** Way!....:eek:

That's why I bought mine, because they were NOT firearms.
No issues with discharging them in suburbia.
I don't walk around outside with them too much anyway...they look like high powered rifles...I didn't want to freak out my neighbors!

gdmjoe
06-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Have had a Daisy 880 (http://www.pyramydair.com/site/manuals/daisy880/index.shtml) for ~30years. Routinely used for critter control.

Latest kill was yesterday: rabbit / head shot ( eye actually ) / 40yds. *With an open sight ( and No it wasn't luck ).

Once lived in a tree rat infested area and would average planting ~300/year.

Even after all these years, it'll still put a BB ( Crosman Copperhead ) through a 55gal barrel. And IIRC ... bought it for $30 from K-Mart.

Green96
06-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Carefull kid, you'll shoot your eye out.

Vortex
06-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Not since I was 12. My brother had a Crossman that was pretty cool back in the day.

Joe Walsh
06-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Not since I was 12. My brother had a Crossman that was pretty cool back in the day.

Growing up and acting like an adult sucks....:P

BigCars4Ever
06-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Screw the rifle. I want to take the battle to the tree tops with thishttp://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/bb98/ Might not kill them but it sure would be fun as he!!

CRZYBIKER
06-08-2009, 08:03 AM

WOW!!!! here in Texas you can walk around in your yard with an assault rifle and all the LEO's can do is RECOMMEND you stop scaring the neighbors....lol.

Back on subject, one of the best air rifles I have is a Chinese millitary practice rifle. Shoots hard and accurate, $20.00, but they come caked with cosmoline so a full dissasemble and cleaning is needed before use.