PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Crown Vic?

Motorhead350
06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I know quite a few us have them and I might get one as a beater... maybe. Seems like I can pick up something decent for very low money. Like even the offers for $1,500 seem reasonable. A lot of these cars tend to be sold with 140,000 miles. My Marauder has around that many, but I replaced the engine and trans already to keep it running with the blower.

At 140,000 I would think a CV would be good for another 140,000.

Is there anything I should worry about when looking at one of these with this kinda mileage? I know of the plastic intake, but that's about it. Anything I should really look for or is the deal really as sweet as it sounds?

Thanks.

DOOM
06-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Dom my car 222,574 miles ok it. Original engine & trans.
The only issue I EVER had was the plastic intake which I replaced at around 190,000 miles.
It's the best car I ever owned! :bows:

offroadkarter
06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
They all last a long time. What year's are you looking at, 01+ doesn't have the intake manifold issue, im not positive if all whale bodies do but i know the earliest ones did

imorb1994
06-11-2009, 10:56 PM
My 95's oil pump went out at 180K(dont know if this is common) and took the engine with it. Put a $300 engine and trans out of a 94(after swaping harnesses) And going strong again. Was my first car and will be passed on to my younger brother in a year and a half. Been in a accident with a 2500# boulder and a couple of fender benders, still looks great, and drives great. Only problems I have with it are the seats are wore out big time, and the Header panel, Radiator support, and A/C condenser need replaced due to Incident with boulder(happened in 01').

Car only has 185K now due to having several other cars and not driving it, but still is a blast to drive.
Also Bought the car in June 01' and had 130k on it

LIGHTNIN1
06-11-2009, 11:42 PM
My experience is with a 1985 cv. Could not keep it from leaking with excello mechanics. Buy the 4.6 engine and they say you don't have that problem. I purchased the 1985 for$2000, a good deal, and probably spent $10,000 over the years to keep it going. Should have bought the newer car to begin with.

DOOM
06-11-2009, 11:57 PM
They all last a long time. What year's are you looking at, 01+ doesn't have the intake manifold issue, im not positive if all whale bodies do but i know the earliest ones did

My vic is a 01 and I had the manifod issue.
That's common on these cars. I believe blackened300a just recently had the same issue.

Blackened300a
06-12-2009, 04:50 AM
I know quite a few us have them and I might get one as a beater... maybe. Seems like I can pick up something decent for very low money. Like even the offers for $1,500 seem reasonable. A lot of these cars tend to be sold with 140,000 miles. My Marauder has around that many, but I replaced the engine and trans already to keep it running with the blower.

At 140,000 I would think a CV would be good for another 140,000.

Is there anything I should worry about when looking at one of these with this kinda mileage? I know of the plastic intake, but that's about it. Anything I should really look for or is the deal really as sweet as it sounds?

Thanks.

I bought my 99 CV LX for $1900 with 85K miles. So far the only things I needed to replace was the plastic intake, alternator, belt tensioner, and idler pulley. These seem to the the common wear items. The original tranny is holding up fine and it still runs like a top. Its the perfect beater car.
If you are looking into these cars and it has the digital heater controls, check out the blender door. Mine stuck closed and only gave me heat, I did the self test and it started working again and its been working fine ever since, just now the blower motor is acting up, but all panthers are notorious for these issues.

IMO, I wouldnt look into a old taxi cab or unmarked police car. Try to find a personal use car.

Jeremy
06-12-2009, 04:52 AM
I'm 99% sure the manifold issue was fixed in '02. If not, then 100% sure in 03.. lol..

I've got a 95 GM (winter ride.. was my DD before the MM.. and had still planned on being a DD but it's hard not to drive the MM) that has 160k miles on the clock.. still driving great.. the only problem is that it ticks on startup until the oil circulates through the heads. I solved that by throwing a qt of lucas in it in every oil change. It doesn't really burn oil until it's about time for a change.. then about a qt magically dissapears somewhere (it doesn't smoke?).

If you look at a p71.. chances are the maintenance was fine and the drivetrain will last forever.. but the suspension may need some tender loving care.

RoyLPita
06-12-2009, 05:41 AM
I had a pair of 95 CVPIs. I drove one (w/74k) for about a year and sold the other (w/93k) before I got my MM. The only things that replaced on mine were one o2 sensor, one coil, inner and outer tie rod ends and idler arm. Other than that, it drove great. Now I have a 97 TC that I am having fun fixing up. I do not know whether to keep it for a DD or sell it for the right price.

Embassy
06-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Buy my '01 P71. :cool: