PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as too much Horsepower?

Motorhead350
06-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I picked up the latest issue of Hot Rod Magazine and came across an article on someone building an old Cadillac. It was stripped, had a new frame and everything to handle the new twin turbo 1,000 horsepower engine that was placed in it. At first I'm thinking old Cadillac, that's cool. Than the 1,000 horsepower part and I'm thinking so what?

We all know we cannot enjoy a 1,000 horsepower car as much as we would with a 600 or even a 350. I know from my own experience and I know others have too about what works and what ends up in the garage 98% of the year especially, if you are in an area that actually has a summer and winter. To get a car up to 1,000 horsepower isn't cheap even if you can do it yourself.

The more you modify something the less dependable it becomes. My Marauder has been down that road. Everything that came from Ford is doing fine, but the aftermarket parts love to break on me or maybe it was my own fault for being cheap when I started. A lot of us seem to have a second car as a beater that is unmodified to keep the dependability.

Most stock cars are a bore unless you spend a good chunk of change. The only cars that seem to be any fun that are stock seem to be the older cars. The problem is an old car is an old car and age doesn't mean it'll last no matter if it's a Chevy or Toyota. My Blazer has been more dependable than the Marauder lately simply because I left the engine alone. 350 horsepower is all I need for that truck and it would probably be fine with the stock 210 horsepower output I had since I rarely tow and I never seem to ever need full throttle anymore.

Having a 500+ horsepower Marauder is a gas don't get me wrong, but when it was stock it could be counted on a lot more. Those of us that have gotten our cars into the 13s or lower do not seem to daily drive our cars anymore. Actually lots of us have a daily driver and the Marauder is just something for nice weather. (For those with a 13 second Marauder) If you drive it everyday and it's 550hp not only will you have bad gas mileage, but you know you must keep tools, spare belts.... whatever it takes to keep it going for WHEN something goes wrong.

If something goes wrong with our daily driver and or stock car it isn't going to cost us that much unless the car has high mileage. The only thing wrong with my K5 is the exhaust needs repair and it was my fault in the first place for putting header dumpers on it. That and one rim leak. The Marauder needs new tires all around, a spare, another dyno tune and a new rear end. Not to mention the $400 worth of parking tickets I have to pay off before I can even take it out of the garage without fear of getting a boot.

I know driving my 19 year old truck has left me with less worries than a 6 year old 500hp car. With the truck I know it'll fire up and if it gives me an issue it never cost me more than 50 bucks at Autozone and never more than 20 bucks at a junkyard. With the Marauder if it gives me a problem it's usually going to cost over $300 easily unless it's something that the car came with.

I think there is a limit for how much horsepower we can truly enjoy, I'm just not sure on the amount.

CBT
06-17-2009, 04:30 AM
I had an '81 Z-28 that was a beast of a daily driver. If you made a tight u-turn in it the ass end would break loose if you had your foot anywhere near the gas pedal. When I was stationed in Jacksonville, FL I had to be very careful on the streets anywhere near the beach because of sand on the roads. I busted a rear shock support launching once, snapped the rear sway bar another time, had a bungee cord looped under the hood latch going to the frame because occasionally the hood popped on launch. Just idling thru a parking lot it would set off car alarms. I lost one street race in it in 8 years (my front bumper was beside his door), to a friend of mine who upgraded his old Chevelle from a 396 to a 427 and didn't tell me till after I handed him the 20 bucks and a case of beer we bet. That was when I was home on leave in TN one time. When my daughters started being born, I drove it rarely, then just sold it. It was overpowered to me, the temptation to go nutty was too much, and my daughters made me want to be a little more responsible of a person.

BODYMAN
06-17-2009, 05:32 AM
My answer would be yes! When is it no longer practical on a street car. I had a 91 Mustang lx and with street tires you could not even drive the thing. Tires would spin at 60mph when you mash the throttle it was actually kinda dangerous to drive sometimes, besides it would rattle everything off the shelves in my garage.

LIGHTNIN1
06-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Motorhead350, you have a good read on this situation. I have been down both roads and unlimited horsepower only makes sense if money is no problem. There is always a car with more horsepower and a faster one.

UncleLar
06-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Dom,even more amazing is that they're putting a DIESEL engine in that Caddy.
I'd like to have about 500 rwhp in my MM but it ain't never gonna happen now.

ctrlraven
06-17-2009, 03:09 PM
2003 Cadillac DeVille with 572ci motor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kl-XS4_9jU
1Kl-XS4_9jU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2lM5SdMVlc
z2lM5SdMVlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_Ds2f_zU4
77_Ds2f_zU4

guspech750
06-17-2009, 07:44 PM
daddy likey likey the cady!!:burnout:i needy needy!!

Rocknthehawk
06-17-2009, 07:49 PM
If I ever had the $$ or need for a high horsepower motor, Nelson Racing Engines would be my choice.... watching videos of their work, it seems like they make 2,000hp managable ????

Rocknthehawk
06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
=KB1Wrv0SiyQ

DOOM
06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Light em' up Dom! :burn:

Raudermaster
06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I know of an '02 GT with a Termi motor swap with a TT setup that makes ridiculous power. So bad, in 4th gear, with 335's on the back, break loose doing about 70mph.

Mac-MerC
06-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Yall are gettin off the question
i believe its too much horse power when u spend more time workin on the car than driving the car, due to issues from the HP
my MM is dead stock so i dont have that issue. but i have countless friends with turbo's and such and it seems like they wish they didnt put all that B-S into their cars... after the initial fun it becomes a money pit (from what i've heard)
they to have had to purchase other vehicles cuz their "suped' up rides cant do the everyday drivin
so i feel like if u have worries hangin over ur head about how the car might malfunction due to the power then u have too much HP