PDA

View Full Version : I thought you couldn't sue the Prez?

CBT
06-19-2009, 04:55 AM
Aren't they immune from being sued while in office, due to potentially millions of people sueing them just because they are unhappy about something? Any law types know?
More than 100 kids sue over parents' deportations

http://www.wsvn.com/images/news_articles/389x205/090617_children_who_parents_ar e_deported.jpg Related Article Links

Video: More than 100 kids sue over parents' deportations (javascript:playVideo('3875658 ', 'More than 100 kids sue over parents deportations', 'v', 'News', '112100', 'News', 'fvCatNo=&backgroundImageURL=', 'wn.wsvn.com');)

MIAMI (AP) -- Ronald Soza celebrated his 10th birthday Wednesday with cake and a serenade by more than 100 other children and their parents.
His own family: absent. His mother was recently deported back to Nicaragua. His father rarely ventures out in public in fear of similar fate. Now Soza and the other children -- all U.S. citizens whose parents could be or have been deported -- are demanding a say in the immigration debate.
They are suing President Barack Obama, asking a court to halt the deportations of their parents until Congress overhauls U.S. immigration laws.
The children, who gathered Wednesday at the Miami nonprofit American Fraternity to draw attention to their cause, say their constitutional rights are being violated (<---how do the consequences of what thier parents did violate thier rights?) because they will likely have to leave the country if their parents are forced to go.
Some children said their families didn't have enough money to pay for school supplies because the breadwinning parent had been deported, and some are at risk of losing their homes. They also say they are suffering psychological and physical hardship.
"My grades went from A's to C's when my mom had to leave," said Ronald.
Nora Sandigo, the head of the Fraternity, originally brought the case on behalf of the children against the Bush administration. She refiled it in January in Miami and a hearing is scheduled for August.
Sandigo said she is frustrated that the Obama administration hasn't done more to address immigration reform.
"Today these children's voices are not heard," she said as dozens of youngsters squirmed and twirled their flags on a rug before her, "but tomorrow these U.S. citizens will be voting."
Perhaps not literally, but many of the more than 100 children who gathered Wednesday are already in their teens and will be voting age by the next presidential election.
Sandigo says many of the children's parents came to the U.S. before 1996 immigration changes made it more difficult for them to become legal residents. When they came, they had a valid expectation that if they stayed out of trouble for seven years, they could eventually become legal residents, she has argued.
Immigration experts say the case has a tough road in the courts because Congress explicitly made the law retroactive.
But the lawsuit may help get attention for the issue in the political arena, said immigration Scholar Louis DeSipio of the University of California, Irvine.
"It's a very conscious decision of the immigrant advocates to focus on this issue," he added, "to disabuse Americans of the images we have of men in their twenties and thirties running across the border, showing instead that it's a family affair."

Bluerauder
06-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Aren't they immune from being sued while in office, due to potentially millions of people sueing them just because they are unhappy about something? Any law types know?
This usually covered under the "Sovreignty" provisions of government. Applies at the state and federal level and to some degree at county and munipalities too. It protects government officials in the performance of their jobs. Don't think that it protects against gross negligence or criminal behavior.

CBT
06-19-2009, 08:08 AM
This usually covered under the "Sovreignty" provisions of government. Applies at the state and federal level and to some degree at county and munipalities too. It protects government officials in the performance of their jobs. Don't think that it protects against gross negligence or criminal behavior.

Like diplomatic immunity, sort of? I mean face it, if anyone could sue the Prez because things don't go thier way, hell we could all find something wrong, and he would spend his whole 4 years in court. Obviously, if he shot someone in the face at a press conference, he could get sued/arrested, but because of a policy that basically came with the office he was elected to? I may not be an Obama fan, but sheesh.

UncleLar
06-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Easy way to solve it,don't give citizenship to anyone born to someone who's here illegally!

MrBluGruv
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I never understood where people got some sort of idea, as non-citizens of this country, that they could not only want but expect and feel entitled to the rights citizens receive as citizens. This isn't basic human rights in question, these are specific rights entitled to tax-paying law-abiding citizens. Why on earth has this idea arisen that everyone from anywhere is entitled to it? Maybe there is a belief that at this point in time the hard work is done so anyone in the world can just come here and get what everyone else has worked and still works hard for without contributing in a similar manner?

This country is going down the toilet fast.

UncleLar
06-19-2009, 01:00 PM
"Maybe there is a belief that at this point in time the hard work is done so anyone in the world can just come here and get what everyone else has worked and still works hard for without contributing in a similar manner?"
You'll never receive Social Security upon retiring because they're granting full SS rights to illegals who've never contributed to it.

Aren Jay
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM

LIGHTNIN1
06-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Seems to me over time that this type thing has risen for several resaons being social give away programs for so many to secure political votes, the lawyering community looking to sue on any grounds to get big money score and turning the back on the constitution. I'm sure there are more.

Aren Jay
06-20-2009, 12:24 AM