PDA

View Full Version : Curious noise

Coupe
06-19-2009, 08:00 AM
if i move my shifter from position D to P while engine is running, there is a noise like air exhaust! what is that for a noise? is there a pneumatic control?

CBT
06-19-2009, 08:15 AM
The car has 'ride height' controls, the sound may be the air pump leveling the car?? I mainly hear it after filling up the tank with gas.

Dr Caleb
06-19-2009, 08:26 AM
if i move my shifter from position D to P while engine is running, there is a noise like air exhaust! what is that for a noise? is there a pneumatic control?

Probably the vacuum from the automatic parking brake release.

Aren Jay
06-19-2009, 09:16 AM

Dr Caleb
06-19-2009, 10:26 AM
automatic parking brake release?

Standard on 2003 300A and 300eh's. Start the car, put the car in Neutral. Apply the parking brake. Pull the shifter back to Drive, and the parking brake will automatically release.

It's vacuum powered.

Coupe
06-20-2009, 02:55 AM
no, no, i mean, after drive, when i park the marauder and do the shifter from "D" to "P", i can hear this noise around the area from the shifter, itīs a light hiss.

MMARAUDER
06-20-2009, 04:14 AM
no, no, i mean, after drive, when i park the marauder and do the shifter from "D" to "P", i can hear this noise around the area from the shifter, itīs a light hiss.

my car does the same thing i dont think its a big issue

JimmyXR7
06-20-2009, 06:59 AM
my car does the same thing i dont think its a big issue

When you put the car in park the parking brake release is activated with vacuum. If you are hearing a hiss, the actuator or hose probably has a sight leak. To make the hiss stop, buy a new hose or wiggle the hose on further until it seals.
Jim

Coupe
06-20-2009, 08:27 AM
is the hose in the shifter area? is it necessary?

Dr Caleb
06-22-2009, 09:18 AM

It's perfectly normal. Mine has also done that from day 1. In "D" the parking brake release is active, in "P" it it not active. In the Park position the tube is filling back up with air, hence the 'hiss'.

is the hose in the shifter area? is it necessary?

Ja, und Ja. I haven't disassembled it to find out, but in my old Crown Vic the heating selector was also powered in this way and the tubes were clear, with a coloured stripe on them to differentiate function. The column shifter also had a clear plastic tube for the automatic parking brake release, and made the same 'hiss' when moving from a "P" or "N" to a drive gear "D, 2, L".